Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Compassion

April 9, 2016
Saturday

Dear Readers,


Dare I say it's been a beautiful day? You bet! Not all days have to be sunny and bright to be beautiful. I got up this morning with full intentions of doing a little watering and lo and behold, the good Lord dumped a bucket full right where it needed to go. It's a good thing because my mind was saying, "yes" but my body was saying, "no."

I have some friends who are congregating here for a few days this next week so I am hoping that the weather cooperates ~ at least while they are here. Pam is coming from California, Elaine and Priscilla from Minnesota, and Sue from Indiana. We've been friends for about 60 years and always have such a fun time when we get together.  We're taking our adventures one day at a time but, for sure, they want to attend the Open Range Cowboy Church that I love so very much. I just know everyone they meet in Texas will extend them a big welcome!!


This past week Evangelist Tim Lee spoke at a Revival held at ORCC. My body wasn't up to 3 full nights; however, I did get it the Wednesday and Friday night service. Growing up Lutheran, I'd never really heard much about revivals. I thought there must be something kind of spooky about them ~ people waving their arms around and shouting "Hallelujah!" Maybe there are some like that but now that I have a couple under my belt, I will say that I love how rejuvenated I feel and how much more compassion I have for my fellow man once I have been filled.


Selfishly, I want all of y'all to be in heaven with me. When I learn about the book of Revelation, I celebrate because I know where I am going. Then, I get sad wondering who will won't be going with me. I have this extra measure of compassion that I got the night I was baptized and I have a tendency to not want people to be sad, or hurt, or victimized because they didn't know a better way. No pressure, just sayin'.


"Jesus wept." John 11:35 The shortest verse in the Bible but an important one. Have you ever felt compassion for another who has been stricken by misfortune accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering? Jesus did throughout his ministry. There are times I just don't know what to say and it hurts me deeply to see those I love going the wrong way on a one way street if I can do something about it.

Jesus wept not because he lacked faith. but because he was full of love. He went where people were hurting; entered their place of pain; and, shared in brokenness, fear, confusion, and anguish. Compassion challenged him to cry out with those who were miserable, to mourn with those who are lonely, and to weep with those in tears. Compassion required him to be weak with the weak, vulnerable with the vulnerable, and powerless with the powerless. Compassion meant full immersion in the condition of the human soul.


Many years ago now, I was commissioned as a Stephen's Minister. It was a position I took seriously because I cared about what happened to my brothers and sisters in Christ. I could share my strength and hope in the Living God. I was shaking in my boots yet Jesus gave me the words to say and the comfort that was needed so sorely at the time in each individual case.


After attending a couple of revivals, I am wondering if we are watering down Christianity. Now before you get your knickers in a knot hear me out.  True worship is about having your heart in the right place and being able to worship in spirit and in truth.

Truth. That seems to be my word lately because I value it so highly. The God we worship must be the true God and NOT a god of our own creation. People today tend to pick and choose things from the Bible they like and reject what they don't like. Remember this, you can't have your own Bible ~ you can't edit God. You can try to remake God into the image we want but when it is all said and done, you are not worshiping God. You are worshiping you.

One of my favorite verses in the Bible is "Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6  That says a lot doesn't it? My own understanding ebbs and wanes depending on where I am in life and what I want to justify. If I acknowledge His ways, I am faced with truth and have a decision to make.

Tonight as the shadows creep into the corners of the cottage, I am grateful for one more day. My furry kids are restless and want to romp out in the wet garden. I am reminded that I want to remain teachable. I want to remain compassionate. I want to remain in the light. I will sleep well...


I'm praying for all of my Readers tonight. I am praying that you would allow the Holy Spirit to reside in your heart and that you will choose the way of the cross. We live in crazy times and it is such a comfort to gather with those who share my faith. I am never alone and you don't need to be either. God's got this ... and, just remember, in the end, the good guy wins (remember also that before that happens there's going to be a whole lot of horror and tribulation). Can you imagine what it's going to be like when all the believers are gone from the earth? Yikes, I don't even want to think about it.

Miss Dottie

PS It was John Wesley who said something like this: "Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can."

Mr. Wesley, I like that and it's just what I plan on doing.






No comments:

Post a Comment