Tuesday, December 8, 2015

A Christmas to remember...

It's a countdown to Christmas Tuesday!

Pull up a chair by the fire, and let me tell you a story...


It was Christmas 1945, WWII was over. Boys who left to fight across the pond were coming home and it was a Christmas like no other. Church bells rang, choirs sang, families gathered to welcome home their husbands, wives, sons, daughters.  There were ticker tape parades and celebrations were going on from coast to coast.

FINALLY, there was peace on earth!







My father was one of those soldier boys who kissed the ground as he landed in New York City. He'd been in the thick of the worst battles of WWII and his emotions were raw. He came back to Minnesota to his family and his sweetheart. A wedding was scheduled for January 1946 and he was anxious to get on with his life and celebrate the American Dream.


Like many others, my father went back to his old job ~ a truck driver for the Soo Line Railroad. He took off his uniform preferring to wear a suit as he took my mother for his wife.  Their wedding in January 1946 was cause for celebration. Both families gathered at Grandmother Belle's farm home to wish them well. It was cold and snowing yet no one noticed.

The war had been won ... the Jews were freed from concentration camps and evil had been wiped off the face of the earth.


OR, was it??


Today, we are experiencing battles not only across the pond but on our own soil. The enemy prowls waiting to maim and kill. All we have to do is turn on our tv sets, listen to the radio, or read a newspaper ... it's there. Who knew that gathering for a company Christmas Party would bring death and terror this month in San Bernadino, CA.

As a nation, we know what we've been doing isn't working yet who do we believe can lead us forward? Personally, I am looking for a leader that is a man/woman after God's own heart. I am looking for strength in leadership that doesn't come from ranting and raving and blaming others. Good character is paramount! We are so fortunate to have the Internet to fact find ... history tends to repeat itself. Enough of smooth talking rascals...


We are experiencing battlefields in the heart, mind, and soul. Moral decay has reached new depths. We have leaders and citizens who are delusional to think that we can take God out of our government, schools, businesses, and family lives and remain untouched by the depraved and evil ones.


All this being said, as I was praying this morning, I broke out in song... Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me. I looked up on UTube and played it over and over. I realized then that I can make a difference one day at a time. As I walk in light, truth, and faith, I can pray ... I can share knowledge ... I can love my brothers and sisters in Christ, as well as my neighbors, sharing the reason for my strength, courage, and wisdom. I can stand up and not be afraid.

Let There Be Peace On Earth ~ Vince Gill

I hope you will listen to this song today. Do you want to walk with me in making this world a better place ... a country where our God reigns??

Miss Dottie

PS One of my heroes is Mother Teresa and she said "Peace begins with a smile." Join me in passing out smiles today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment