Tuesday, December 29, 2015

The Storm


Sometimes It Takes A Storm

December 29, 2015
Tuesday

Dear Readers,

Nick & Zach ~ LOVE!
Once upon a Christmas time in 2015, the people in Garland (where my family gathered), Rowlett, and Collin County were sitting in their homes opening gifts placed under the tree and offering toasts to the upcoming new year. Hoverboards were "the" gift to open along with new cell phones, Star Wars shirts and toys, clothing, tools, and a myriad of other things. There were smiles and squeals of joy as well as pouts for not having gotten what was on their "must get" list.

Christmas at the Johnson's

Miss Dottie, Nick & Zach

Grandpa Michael, Nick, Zach

Sibling love ~ Tommy & Jill

C&E (Christmas and Easter) Christians made their way to church because that was the thing to do. Other Christians gathered not because it was the thing to do but it was their reason for the season. A King was born that would save us all!!

What a blessing it was to be able to join fellow church family members at the Open Range Cowboy Church this Christmas Season. Music, worship, fellowship ... can't beat that!!

The reindeer have it!
Sara & Michael

Keith on guitar...

Pastor Rick
Long Ago and Far Away...

I think Miss Dottie's going to get hugged!!
Homer, you're the best!!

Susan and Deborah
Two of my favorite ladies!

Those in North Texas that had gathered with joy at Christmas soon experienced the devastation of tornadoes, rain, snow, and flash flooding ~ lives were lost, homes leveled to the ground, pets killed or missing. Those presents that were so crucial and important for happiness gave way to the presence of emergency personnel and neighbors gathering to search and offer assistance. Material stuff didn't matter so much anymore but human and animal life did.

Miss Dottie & Jill
Once I heard about the storms that started where I live in North Central Texas moving toward the Dallas and Collin County areas, I texted my daughter in Garland. Sirens were going off there and, like most mothers, my concern was for my child who was in the path of danger. She kept telling me they were okay but still, my mother's intuition said, "No, you're not." I kept her texting until the storm passed. Only then, did I glance up from my phone to look at the television.

I was in shock and turned my prayers to those affected by this mighty storm ravaging everything in it's path and wondered why evil always seemed to lurk under the cover of darkness.

Sometimes, it takes a tragedy or a storm to make us realize how fragile life is and what is really important. A young mother went to have her hair done and was on her way home when her car was picked up by the tornado and tossed to a road below the freeway ... her children will grow up without her and her husband grieves wondering, "why."

When you think about it, the storms of life are all around us claiming our hearts, our lives, and our souls every single day. We strive, we toil, and we gather. Yet, it says in Matthew 6:21 that the material things of this world will melt away:

"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal, for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."


Where is my treasure? It's in my faith and the people I have invested my resources and time in. I have a blackboard in my prayer closet that has a little gardening lady planting seeds and a water can watering the flowers. It's a reminder that I have a purpose on this earth as long as I have breath. Should the storms of life take me, I leave behind  my love of those who chose to walk along with me!

Miss Dottie

PS  I don't know about you but I agree with Lailah Gifty Akita who said, "In the midst of the storm, my only anchor is the Saviour."

Always remember you are loved and prayed for ... YA YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment