Sunday, August 13, 2017

Someone else's notes...

Friday
August 11, 2017

Dear Readers,

It's one of those TGIF kind of days. My garden chores are done and it's time to take a breather before I get myself cleaned up and set to meet my buddy to tour the Methodist Children's Home in Waco. I've heard so much about this campus and am excited to see it first hand.

Even prayers could not lull my tired body to sleep last night. My mind was running at warp speed never staying on one thing long enough for me to acknowledge it's presence. Maybe it was the meeting I attended last night ... so much information (all good).

My sponsor in Alanon has nudged me suggesting that I begin work on Step 6 and 7. I have scratched the surface, making mental notes but it's time to get down to serious business. I had been brutally hard on myself as I completed my 4th and 5th Steps and had given myself permission to allow the dust to settle before tackling another mountain.

Step 6: "Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character."  Step 7: "Humbly asked Him to remove our short-comings." No brainer there ~ YES to both! This morning, I fished out a book written specifically on the 12 Steps & Traditions. My sponsor must have given it to me but I didn't remember it specifically. It was a very old book, held together by tape and filled with notes written in the margin. As I opened it to Step 6, I noticed that there was a letter inside written by whomever had the book before me. Someone walked the path I am on and left a message of hope in the journey. What a gift!

The notes and letter reminded me of a Bible verse in Romans: "...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Romans 3:23

If ALL men fall short then that means I am not alone in my struggles for perfection and enabling others to the detriment of my own well-being. Hmmm... It is here, at this moment in time, that I will begin to unravel the parts of me that need tweaking. 

My faith anchors me each day; and, I know, that as I walk, there will be those who come alongside me. The building of good character takes a lifetime of commitment. No matter how much I improve, desires will always be found which oppose the grace of God.

One of my most favorite classes in college was Philosophy. Socrates said, "The unexamined life is not worth living." Was that the beginning of my quest to wholeness? It's so easy to focus on dissecting other people's lives and list their faults ~ much more difficult to focus on self. I was thinking this morning ... defects can be good qualities taken to extremes. I can handle that and it is there I will begin  the journey before me.

My prayer today is for those who have fractured lives and strained relationships. It is so blasted tough to "let go and let God" do his magic  But, we say, "what if God doesn't fix our lives and relationships aren't mended?" Well, then, let's pray for the strength and courage to do what we can and move on. Acceptance is tough at best! I am so very grateful to be able to be a part of a group of people who share their hope, strength, and experience. I dared to step out and, you, my Readers, can too. My God is a good God. He leads, directs, corrects, and stretches me beyond my wildest imagination. All I have to do is show up and report to duty each day.

Miss Dottie

PS "Reflect upon the defects of your character: thoroughly realize their evils and the transient pleasures they give you, and firmly will that you shall try your best not to yield to them the next time." ~ Helena Blavatsky



1 comment: