Tuesday, October 30, 2018

A voice from the grave..


Tuesday
October 28, 2018


Good morning! Welcome to my world of rambling thoughts. It's cloudy, warm, and the leaves from the big tree are falling steadily to blanket my gardens. I itched and scratched all night so my mind and body are tired. My back scratcher got a real workout ... looks like I got whipped! I haven't been eating much sugar and yesterday I over indulged. Yikes! Back to eating healthy.



One crazy thing I like to do is visit old grave yards. It's the first place I head when I return to my hometown, Glenwood, Minnesota. I walk among my ancestors, talking to them and feeling such a peaceful presence. Oh if only they could talk back to me. Well, maybe they do from the written stories left behind, newspaper clippings, and stories passed on from generation to generation. My maternal ancestors were more salty while my paternal ancestors more sweet. I'd like to think I'm a perfect combination of both. (Smile)

My friend, Sharon, tracked me down Sunday morning and handed me a hand written poem copied over 60 years ago by her great grandmother Eutha. Sharon said, "I'm supposed to give this to you." I couldn't wait to get home to do a little googling to see what I could find out about this lady who was speaking from the grave. I learned she was a daughter of Elex and Rosa; wife of Charlie; mother to Ofelia, Celeste, and Wesley; AND, sister to Grace, Hilman, Claude, Arthusa, Ruby, Fay, Carl, and Cecil. I know she was born in Mississippi in 1900 and died there in 1997. Other than that, the Internet was silent. My curiosity still peaked, I read and reread what she wrote. I prayed that she would help me understand why these words from an unknown author meant so much.



A Strong Faith
I've dreamed many dreams that
 never came true.
I've seem them vanish at dawn.
But I've realized enough of my 
dreams, thank God, 
To make me want to dream on.

I've prayed many prayers when no 
answers came
Though I waited patient and long.
 But answers have come to enough of 
my prayers 
To make me keep praying on.

I've trusted many a friend that failed,
And left me to weep alone. 
But, I've found enough of my friends 
true blue
To make me keep trusting on.

I've sown many seeds that fell 
by the way,
 For the birds to feed upon. 
But I've held enough golden
  sheaves in my hands, 
To make me keep sowing on.

I've drained the cup of disappointment 
and pain. 
And gone many days without song. 
But I've sipped enough nectar 
from the roses of life 
to make me want to live on.

I don't know about you but when I copy and pass something on, it means something to me, it's touched my heart, and I ponder over it's content. That being said, I wonder if this poem mirrored Eutha's life and made her as real in 2018 as she was in the 1900's. I think so, she knew someone, including me, needed to read this.

We have dreams; we have faith; we pray; we weep; we sow seeds; AND, we experience joy, pain, success, and failure. Life is a journey, a tale of our walk alone and with others. In October 2010, I began to tell my story via my blog Family for Better or Worse. I have four years of blogs  published and hopefully I will be able to publish additional years. No one in my family will ever need to wonder who the real Dottie was and is. I have invested in a continual learning process, my family, the people who have joined me on my walk, and being a servant to my Lord. The legacy I leave behind will be one of love and encouragement. If I can, you can!!

My life is not how I hoped it would be yet it is my life. To wallow in self-pity and isolate myself hasn't been an option. I have learned to live in plenty and in famine. My worth is not defined by either for God says I am His. I was hand selected to be placed on the front lines of God's army and given strength to do what I need to do. You see, I made a decision to surrender my life to Him and THAT DECISION has made all the difference!

Peace be still... Miss Dottie

PS I ALWAYS encourage my Readers to journal their life's story. How else will people remember you and your purpose if you don't share it. Thank you Eutha for sharing just a bit of what was in your heart and thank you Sharon for keeping this bit of your great grandmother alive!


No comments:

Post a Comment