Tuesday, April 28, 2015

April Storms

April 27, 2015
Monday

Dear God,


Come on, let me push the branches off the chairs and let's sit awhile. That was quite a display of fireworks You put on last night. I came to Texas in 1970 and I don't think I've ever experienced a storm like that.

Many years ago, Dad Seidler had a storm shelter put in the back yard. It has walls over a foot thick, a heavy door that locks from the inside, and is equipped with vents and electricity. Thanks for thinking ahead, Dad!! Once I got inside, I snuggled down in my soft smell-good blankets with the 5 furry kids and felt very safe. Ruffy, Zoe, and I nearly fell asleep. How about that!! With a nasty storm raging, how could I have felt so peaceful? Maybe it was that everyone that mattered was in the shelter and we were safe. Maybe I knew You were in control. I said a prayer for the storm trackers and those who didn't have a shelter. Michael also said a prayer and we waited.

Storms seem to come when I least expect them. It looked like the storm was going to travel just north of us but, at the last moment, I heard the weatherman say, those in Hillsboro need to seek shelter immediately. What?? I wasn't quite prepared. I yelled for Michael to take some blankets and water to the shelter. Our 5 furry kids were nervous and were jumping up and down barking their heads off. By the time Michael took the blankets and water to the shelter and got back to the house, it was pouring rain. I handed Toby and Harmony to him and I grabbed Kennedy, Zoe, and Ruffy. We were all soaked with cold rain by the time we were all down in the shelter. Sure was glad to have the blankets to wrap up in.

We were listening to the rain and hail come down ~ I was trying not to think about my flowers and rose bushes. Michael had turned the light on but for some odd reason, I was wishing that I'd brought candles to light. I shut my eyes to heighten my senses ... when the hail pelleted the metal door, my heart skipped a beat. I opened my eyes wide when the pitter patter of hail and rain sounded more like a freight train. I doubt if we had any tornadic activity, (probably more like really loud thundering rain). We weren't in the shelter too long before there was a quiet stillness calling calling us back to the house. The storm was over as quickly as it started.



I remember when I was 7 or 8 and my brother a year younger. We were living in an old house on Franklin Street in Glenwood, Minnesota. My mother called from work and told us that there were bad storms in the area and possibly a tornado. We were to go to the cellar and stay there. I wasn't afraid, it was just another adventure. Now, let me tell you about the cellar ~ it had a coal bin, a dirt floor, and had wooden shelves lined with canned goods. There were clothes lines and a wringer washer & tubs in the center of the room. It was nasty, dank, and dark. My brother was scared but I told him if if the storm took our house, we could live in the cellar I was so sure that no matter what happened outside, we would be safe and still have a place to live. I'd remembered to bring my colors and paper with me so I drew a picture of our (possible) future dwelling. My dad got home at 4 o'clock and I couldn't wait to tell him of my plans. I am happy to report that we didn't have to live in the cellar ...ever!

Children have a way of making bleakness, sorrow, and destruction a stepping stone to something better. Maybe that's why You love kids so much. They trust, they celebrate, they dream. Even in the midst of storms, they are often able to flourish. It was a sad day for me in 2002 when I had to move out of my beautiful home, get rid of most of my worldly goods, and go to a small apartment. By the time, everything was loaded up, given away, and gone, my eyes were filled with tears. My little granddaughter, Madison, grabbed my hand and rallied everyone in the den. She proceeded to teach us the "Tooty Ta Song". I will be forever grateful to her for her caring nature and in giving me a pleasant memory to cherish forever. I decided to add the song to my blog. Don't feel silly dancing around in your living room!




Father, so often we don't understand the trials and tribulations of this earth. There are so many going through storms: illness, divorce, infertility, broken hearts, death of loved ones, and crushed bones.  Homes have been ripped off foundations, trees ripped from their places in the soil, and who knows what else. Please quiet the masses and deliver them from the unknown. Comfort their fears, and give them a reason to keep on keepin' on. Lord, the evil one lurks in dark corners and is ready to pounce on our hearts.  In your infinite wisdom, you know what your children need. Bring forth  that feeling of peace. One day at a time ... one storm at a time. You are in control, let us rest in that. Amen, it is so!

Miss Dottie

NOTE TO READERS:  "There's always another storm. It's the way the world works. Snowstorms, rainstorms, windstorms, sandstorms, and firestorms. Some are fierce and others are small. You have to deal with each one separately, but you need to keep an eye on what's brewing for tomorrow." ~Maria V. Snyder

No comments:

Post a Comment