Friday, July 31, 2015

Trip Diary ~ Day 1

Keeper of the Stars

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Dear Readers,


I started my journey to Minnesota this morning a little after 4 am.  I was afraid that it was going to be a long drawn-out day but it really wasn't. Graycie got a pair of new shoes and she wanted to fly on down the road ~ I let her!! I arrived in Cameron, MO about 4:30 pm and it was so good to get out of the car and stretch my legs. I was beginning to feel like a pretzel.

I had my Open Range Band CD with me and played that through about 6 times ... then, I ran the radio on scan and found some classic country stations. I heard songs that I hadn't heard in years. One of my favorite songs was Keeper of the Stars and I heard it a couple times, once in Oklahoma and once in Missouri. Made me want to get out and do a little dancing!


As the evening draws nigh, I am really missing my Sensational 6. When I started packing, they knew something was going on!! Finn jumped into my suitcase and promptly peed on my clothes. I screached and he looked at me like he'd done something to be proud of. Crazy baby! Had to do some last minute laundry!

Michael took off work to watch our pups ~ I feel more comfortable knowing they are being cared for. Because of losing two of our precious furry kids to accidents (in one year) we are being VERY protective of our pack.


Many people have asked why I wanted to drive the distance from Texas to Minnesota. Well, first of all, I really wanted to go and connect with family and friends. The second reason (and, I must admit the biggest reason) was that since my surgery in March, my brain has not been functioning as it should. I have an appointment with a neurologist in September to diagnose what is causing my symptoms BUT... I figured if I could drive to Minnesota without getting lost and challenging myself not only mentally but physically, I could rest a little easier.

For me, it's good to stretch myself and have projects and goals in the works. I have miles to go before I come to the end of the road of life.


I am in a familiar place. I've been staying at the Acorn Inn every time I have made my way northward and again southward. Management has changed and the motel is aging. My room is clean, my bed comfy ... that's what's important! They serve breakfast at six bells which means I can have a fresh glazed donut/coffee and take fruit for my snacks during the day. Tomorrow, I will drive another nine hours and be rolling in to my destination. Excitement is welling up inside me. My body is tired, sleep will refresh me!!


Father God in Heaven, thank you for going before me and making this day an enjoyable one. Thank you for clarity of mind and the ability to maneuver through some new territory without panic. I pray for the other travelers on the road ~ that You would bring them safely to their destinations. I pray for those at home ~ for Michael as he takes off work to watch the Sensational Six, for those on vacation, for those suffering from the dreaded disease of cancer, heart attacks, illnesses, addictions, and spiritual roadblocks. Bring us all safely into a new day tomorrow resting and renewing our bodies and spirits in You. In Jesus name I bring my petitions before You. Amen, it is so! Oh, another thing ... thank you to the Gideons who still put Bibles in motel rooms!

Miss Dottie

PS  "When the traveler goes alone he gets acquainted with himself." ~Liberty Hyde Bailey

No comments:

Post a Comment