Saturday, August 1, 2015

Trip Diary ~ Day 2


July 23, 2015, Thursday

Dear Readers,


"There is no mile as long as the final one that leads back home."
~Katherine Marsh

I'm here! Whoa, that last couple hours of driving was a bugger but I forgot about my aching body when I arrived at Elaine's condo which is located in the school where I attended K-12th grade. Not only that, her condo is the room that Miss Alexander taught our 2nd grade class. Who could have guessed?!


My day's journey was rather boring going through miles and miles of flat farmland. Just before I got to Minnesota, I did see hundreds of wind turbines that were generating electricity. I was fascinated ... it looked rather futuristic!

I always look forward to arriving at the first rest area in Minnesota. They have hiking trails which offer me an opportunity to stretch my legs and breathe in some fresh air. As usual, I wasn't disappointed. It wasn't long and I was ready to get on with the last leg of my journey. (Truth be known, the mosquitoes started swarming around me and I was getting eaten alive!)







It's an easy drive to Minnesota from Texas. I got on I35 and stayed on it until I got to Minneapolis where I took 494 to Alexandria then 29 south to Glenwood. Glenwood is surrounded by two big hills ~ no matter which hill I choose to enter the city, I am always taken aback by the beauty before me ~ the sleepy little city, the beautiful Lake Minnewaska, and memories that come flooding back from my growing up years there.




I walked in to Elaine's condo and said, "Where's the dessert and coffee?" She laughed... I got settled in her guestroom and we made plans to meet friends for dinner at Captain's on the lake. We talked, laughed, and had such a wonderful evening planning the days ahead. In high school, a group of us were famous for our wacky/wonderful slumber parties. When we get together, it's like we've never been apart. We've gone through seasons separately yet our spirits have remained entwined. Now, that's friendship at it's best!!


Dear God, Thank you for a safe trip from Texas to Minnesota. I am so grateful for life-long friends and my growing up years in Glenwood. Everywhere I turn my brain recalls memories that are chock full of joy. Thank you for helping me throw out all the bad tapes leaving room for what is good. I pray that all children could have that feeling of deepness of roots and family going back generations. I knew where I came from and what I was about. Life goes on about me here and back in Texas. Father, I pray that you would bless the socks off those closest to my heart. In times of trial, You are our Protector, our Savior, our Redeemer. Your presence is felt in times of trial and in joy. Help us to focus on the joy, the miracles, the goodness. I pray for those needing that extra boost of focus, confidence, and direction. Amen, dear Jesus, it is so!!

Miss Dottie

PS "Coming back is the thing that enables you to see how all the dots in your life are connected, how one decision leads you to another, how one twist of fate, good or bad, brings you to a door that later takes you to another door, which aided by several detours ~ long hallways and unforeseen stairwells ~ eventually puts you in the place you are now." ~Ann Patchett

No comments:

Post a Comment