Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Freedom



Good Afternoon, Readers!  First of all, it's my eldest granddaughter's twenty-first birthday today so Happy Birthday, Brittany!  Twenty-one years old ... my goodness, a milestone in the lives of all of us.  We all probably remember that particular birthday, don't we?

On my twenty-first birthday, I was married, living in Yuma, AZ and had given birth to my first child.  My husband was in the army and had late guard duty ... Jill and I spent the evening together snuggling and cooing.  No guzzling of drinks ... no party ... no festivities ... somehow, I didn't seem to mind...  I do remember the whirring of the desert cooler, the clanging of the washer, and the sound of the brisk desert air blowing through the courtyard where we lived.  I was young and my thoughts were filled with visions of my tomorrows...

This morning, I was reading in Galations.  There is a popular concept of freedom that is running rampant today ... "I want to be free to do whatever I want" ... it's a freedom without constraints, no authority, no responsibility.  We don't want to be told "no."  We stomp our feet and insist on having it "our" way.  Sometimes our way works out; however, many times ironically, our freedom leads to bondage.  Freedom??

It is in the spirit not the flesh that the Christian life is successfully lived.  I have stopped "kissing up" to people to win their favor.  If I were still trying to please men, I could not be Christ's servant.  (Galations 1:10)  Why were laws written both in yesteryear and today?  They were for our protection and to show us the error of our sinful ways.  Have I become the enemy of many because I tell you the truth?  (Galations 4:16)  It's wonderful when people are nice with good motives and sincere hearts.  I think all of us know when that's the case...  I also welcome constructive criticism because that's when I grow the most.

I've learned so much about living the Christian life in the New Testament.  Somehow, my reading has brought me a peace that runs deep within my soul.  The old crap just doesn't have the sting it once did nor does the hurtful relationships that seared my mind have their hold.  Gone, just gone ... now, that's REAL freedom!!

It just takes one bad apple to spoil the whole barrel.  I am trusting God to deal with those persons who have confused and troubled me.  (Galations 5:10)  "Love others as you love yourself"  (Galations 5:14)  If you do not love yourself how can you love others?  You can't, really...  

How do I know if someone has the love of the Lord in their heart?  Are they angry, hateful, unforgiving, jealous ... a complainer, lazy, spiteful, envious??  Or, do they have the fruits of the spirit ... love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control??  I pick and choose who I listen to and who I want to model my life after.

It is the Christmas Season 2011.  I am blessed to have the opportunity to spend a few weeks in Florida with my daughter and her wonderful family.  It is peaceful here ... a place where those that reside under this roof are free to grow and be all they were meant to be.  It is a place where compassion and love abounds...  I like that.

Last night, the family (me included) gathered in the formal living room to adorn the 9+ foot Christmas tree with ornaments collected and made over the years.  Katrina stood on Tim's shoulders to place the homemade star atop the tree.  I thought for sure that we were going to have an eight year old gracing the tree as an ornament!  We had arranged the room so that we could sit on the sofa to look at the tree in an intimate setting.  Ah yes, so many memories to relive...

It's a wonderful time of the year, a time we should always be kind to everyone...  (Galations 6:10)  It's a time to clean house scouring out all the cobwebs in our hearts leaving room for the true reason for the season ... Jesus Christ!  It's so easy to be nice and loving to those who return the gestures ... it's another thing to love the porcupines in our lives...

My fifteen year old granddaughter is such a joy!  My petite little blond is now a ravishing redhead ... gosh, I remember those days of experimenting with hair color ... red, green, black ... I look back and smile...  Some things never change in the lives of teenage girls!  Madison is driving now and I'm waiting for her to take me out for a tour of nearby shopping centers!

It is getting dark earlier and earlier these days.  As an outdoors person, I feel a little lost.  Looks like I need to make a trip to the craft store to get a needlepoint design to work on ... now that I have new eyes, I can get back to one of the favorite things I "used" to do!!

May the love and joy of the Christmas Season fill your hearts ... it's a time to truly cherish all the sights, sounds, and smells that bring our Christmas's of the past into the Christmas present.

Always remember you are loved and prayed for ... YA YOU!!  Let's chat tomorrow, shall we??


Christmas 2011
Fill your tree with memories and smiles!



 

  

1 comment:

  1. Guess what? Madison is going back to blonde today! I think we toy around with our hair color and then realize (most of the time) it looks best as our God given color. Madison was telling me last night.... I wish I was this way...I wish I was more like... I said, "Madison, you are perfect just the way you are; God made you and he doesn't make mistakes". She gave me a big grin.

    Great memories-
    XXOO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete