Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A New Adventure Called "Adoption"

April 23, 2013

Brrr!  It's downright chilly here today.  The temperature dropped about 30 degrees.  I must admit, it was very cozy listening to the rain drops hit the roof of the cottage.  I woke up early then thought I would shut my eyes for a few minutes ... two hours later, I sat up with a start.  Holy Cow!  Where did my morning go??

BTW, how do you like my bouquet of Lemon Thyme?  Need a little for cooking, just break of a few springs!  I think it makes a wonderful basket of edible fun!

Some time ago, the idea of adopting a rescue dog popped into my heart.  At 66, Michael and I needed to be mindful about a puppy because the puppy may live longer than we do.  Now, that was a sobering awakening.  Another fact of being in our senior years.  Boo Hiss!  Because we lost our beloved Pomeranian, Khelsea, last year, we looked into Poms as well as Yorkies.  My only requirement was that it would be a female, full blooded Pom or Yorkie, and small enough to fit under the seat of an airplane!

I had no idea about the process.  Before, I've always gone to a breeder, bought my dog, and gone home.  This go around, we had to fill out six pages of paperwork including references.  Some of the questions really made me stop and think.  What "would" happen to my companion should I pass away? Since small dogs can live 15-18 years we needed to take that into consideration.

On the TV show Hoda and Kathy Lee, there was an episode where Hoda adopted a rescue.  Petfinders found quite a few dogs that met her criteria and she picked 3 from the lot taking them home and seeing how they fit into her lifestyle.  All that was well and good and made for a good television show but, what I took away from the show was the web site, Petfinders.  It was there my real adventure began.

I immediately was drawn to a senior Pom named Bella.  Bella looked just like my former Pom, Khelsea.  I inquired before I even read her bio.  Since I am a visual person, I needed to learn that there was more to a dog that just it's outside cover.  The rescue group promptly said, "No, not a fit."  What??  I went back and read her bio - wanted to be left alone, didn't like other dogs and on and on.  Well, with egg on my face, I started over.

The process of adoption became more complicated than when I first thought.  It has been a learning process ~~ a process of being open minded to what dog God would lead us to.  I perused through hundreds of bios on dogs, tears falling as I read their stories.  How could I narrow my search down with all these sweet animals needing homes.  I decided to stay with my plan of adopting a female in the range of 5-6 pounds.   It wasn't long before I gave up on the female only; then, I gave up on the full-blooded Pomeranian idea and began praying and reading with fresh eyes.

Kennedy
All of a sudden, there was a little Pom/Chi that caught my eye ... Kennedy.  Six pounds (check), not a female (oh well), lap dog (check), loving/warm personality (check), good traveler (check), loved dogs (check), housebroken (check, check & check!).  Okay, next step contacting the rescue group.  I waited a few days then got an email with another application form specifically designed for Kennedy.  The rescue group (Cheri) responded with a positive note ... sounds like great fit.  I was then referred to the foster mom, Laura, and we talked on the phone.

Teddy
I learned more about Laura and her relationship with Kennedy.  She had had him for a long while and they were very bonded.  I could hear the stress and pain in her voice as she relayed information about her ward and how difficult it would be to have him leave.  Being a foster mom must be one of the most self-less jobs in the world whether for an animal or a child.  To be a great foster mom requires a heart for animals and dedication to helping that dog re-enter the world in a new environment.  I remembered when my daughter and her husband decided to be foster parents to rescue Corgis and they fell in love with their first rescue, Teddy.  I was there the day Tim brought him home, and I just knew that Teddy would never leave.  It was a situation, where they opened their hearts and God created the perfect Corgi just for them.

Kennedy seems like a perfect fit for our family.  On Thursday, Laura will bring Kennedy here for a visit and do a home study.  I can't see any reason why we wouldn't pass that.  Once, I gave my leading to the Lord, my road to adoption was a whole lot less stressful.  If Kennedy doesn't work out when we meet him on Thursday, there are many other dogs waiting for their "fur"ever homes.  Laura assured me that sometimes it takes meeting several dogs before that right fit happens.

Stay tuned.  If you've ever adopted a wounded rescue, you know exactly what I am talking about.  There is such a need for foster parents and new homes for these dogs who have been abandoned, abused, and surrendered "just because."  Some surrenders are warranted as was Teddy's case and are deeply loved by their owners.  At any case, I am happy that Michael and I are going to be a family who welcomes a new member with open arms.

Always remember you are loved and prayed for ... ya you!

Miss Dottie

PS  I REALLY like this quote:  "Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." ~~ Karen Davison

     


1 comment:

  1. What an awesome blog! Ohhh I hope and pray that all goes well on Thursday. I can't wait to see pictures.

    Keep us in the loop :) I'm anxiously waiting for the news....kind of like having a baby... he! he!

    XXOO~
    Jane

    ReplyDelete