Thursday, April 4, 2013

A Walk in the Rain

"Then I will give you rains in their season and the land shall yield its increase and the trees of the file shall yield their first fruit.~~Leviticus 26:4


April 3, 2013

It's been raining now for more than a day.  I couldn't bear not knowing if my roses and other flowers were enjoying the manna from heaven so I took a little walk in the rain.  I looked up as rain drops fell on my head.  "The taste of rain was, well, delicious!"  We are supposed to get more rain tomorrow.  Yay!  Along with the blessed rain feeding my trees and plants, it is also feeding the weeds!  Oh well, you gotta take a little bad with the good.  My neighbor, Don, is on alert that as soon as it dries up a little, he will be here with his trusty mower and edger.  "Not to worry," he says.  I told him to be prepared cause the weeds were going to be knee high.

There are many references to the rain in the Bible plus we all know that April showers bring May flowers!  Almost every time it rains for several days, I think about Noah.  The flood Noah experienced was devastating on one hand but cleansing the earth of sin brought forth new life ... new beginnings.


"This is the account of Noah and his family.  Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked faithfully with God."~~Genesis 6:9
(Underlining mine)


Noah was obedient and although he was criticized and made fun of, he built the Ark as God directed then loaded up his family, the animals, birds, reptiles, etc.  It definitely was NOT raining when Noah built the Ark.  If you're as old as I am you will probably remember Bill Cosby's tale of Noah and the Ark.  Pretty funny!  I (giggle) might not be praising God for having to spend so many days on a boat load of creatures with the rain outside lending to some pretty stinky living conditions.

Any way, back to the story.  When the rain ended, God put a rainbow in the sky as a reminder that he would not destroy the earth again.  What a sigh of relief Noah and his family must have had.

I love rainbows, don't you?  I haven't seen as many since my move to Texas but I sure remember them vividly as a kid growing up in Minnesota.  I never tire of gazing at their beauty.  As I have grown in my Christian faith, every time I see a rainbow, I think of the Biblical meaning of the covenant God made and smile 'cause God keeps his covenants.

So ... rain away!  I will enjoy my day indoors and will meditate on Noah's story and what it means for me and all Christians.

Always remember you are loved and prayed for ... YA YOU!!

Miss Dottie

PS  "By perseverance the snail reached the ark."~~Charles Spurgeon

Let us remember that it is in our one day at a time of perseverance that we mature as God's chosen.  My grandson wears a necklace that says, "God's army."  I looked at it and he proudly said, "That's me."  It is my hope that I will live to see this young man as an adult.  Somehow, I know that the Lord has big plans for him!








1 comment:

  1. So true! I hope everyone has had a chance to dance in the rain. Something so liberating about jumping in puddles, laughing, and being carefree. Thank you for the reminder of the miracle of rain.

    Love You-
    Jane

    ReplyDelete