Tuesday, March 31, 2015

A Heart that Forgives ~



(There is an ad at the beginning of this song, just press "skip")

March 29, 2015
Palm Sunday

Dear Readers,


Today is a day to celebrate Jesus ride into Jerusalem. The people cheered him but in the following week, He would be arrested, tried, beaten, spit on, and humiliated as he hung on that cross.  My Lutheran upbringing will remember Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and the joy of Easter. I will weep remembering the pain Christ endured, and bask in the sunshine of Easter. There are some traditions that I still keep because they are important to my heart.


Some years ago, I saw the movie, The Passion of the Christ. I'm a visual person and the scenes of the betrayal, the trial, and the crucifixion took me to my knees. Picture Jesus hanging on that cross~ he'd been beaten, scourged, and spit on. What did he say? "Father forgive them for they know not what they do." His last act was to forgive the robber on the cross next to his ~ telling him that he would be with him in paradise. He was winning souls up to the moment he took his last breath.


One of the best Bible studies I have ever taken is The Mind of Christ, a Bible study written by TW Hunt. It's a study which introduces believers to a lifelong process through which God renews minds and lives to reflect the image of Christ. It is based on Philippians 2:5: "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus." It showed me how Jesus' mind worked and how the Holy Spirit can teach you to think as He did. I wanted to be more like Christ and this study as a stepping stone.


Church was amazing today ... the focus was on forgiveness. I was writing (in my Sunday journal) as fast as I could as Miss Kitty, Pastor Rick, William, and Pastor Dudley gave testimonies and, in Miss Kitty's and Pastor Dudley's case, sermons.

The ability to forgive and let go is a powerful tool. In my case, when I was able to forgive, it opened more room in my mind and heart to appreciate the good. The tapes that ran rampant for so many years were replaced with new ones carrying good thoughts. I was free to move on!  Ever meet people who seem to be always mad at someone or something? They hold grudges forever! Unforgiveness can be addictive you know. When I encounter people like that, they tend to not want to be around my joyous spirit and I just pray for their release from their own miseries. Mad and happy don't go well together.


Maybe that's why I love the Open Range Church so much. When I walk through the doors, I immediately feel the love of Christ through his people. I am able to encourage, appreciate, and welcome others (and they do the same for me).  There is something special there that I hadn't experienced since my years at Grace Community Church.  When I walk out, I am bursting with happiness and set to take on my week and look forward to going back. Hopefully, I will be able to take part more when we are able to purchase a second car. I'm not the most patient person in the world and thank God everyday for the vehicle He will provide.

Glen Scrivener said, "The difference between the law and the good news of Jesus is not that law is about dry duty and Jesus is about heart-felt affections. They are both about love. It's just that the law only describes the life of love. The good news of Jesus, when trusted, actually produces it." I'm pondering on that today!!

Miss Dottie


Dear God,
Thank you for this day and the opportunity to learn more about you, break bread, and fellowship with fellow believers. My prayer list has been growing ~ I pray for those who have had tragic accidents, have been confronted with diagnoses of terminal illness, have broken bones, and for those who are sick mentally, physically, spiritually. They need you,Jehovah Rapha, our healer who makes bitter things sweet and I need you too. I know it's probably silly but I thank you for our newest rescue, Zoe. She has brought such calmness to the pack in Seidler Dogdom. I pray for safety for those traveling this Easter week. I am praying that you will give an extra nudge to those who might not attend church this coming Sunday. ALL need to be exposed to the glory and magnificence of this day when Jesus died on the cross that we would have eternal life. I raise my hands praising your name and glorify you saying, Hosanna to the Christ!!  Amen, it is so!!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment