Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Reaching out in retirement

September 2, 2015
Wednesday

Good Morning Readers!  I am perched up in bed, enjoying the first fruits of my day ... time with the Lord, time with my precious furry kids, and writing. I just love the early morning hours when it's still just a little dark outside. I turn on the lights to the Fall Tree in the cottage, light a few candles, and relish those moments of serenity.


When I started blogging in October of 2010, I really didn't comprehend where it would take me. I had reached a point in my life that retirement was staring me in the face, my children had lives of their own, and I was in a state of limbo. What next?

What started out as letters to my children and blogs of healing in my own mind, body, and spirit turned into much, much more. I knew that in being so open and honest, I would subject myself to criticism and some not so nice comments. I promised myself that I would leave no stone unturned and that others would know of my struggles from childhood through the years to adulthood. It was of paramount importance that I share the reason that I remained sane ~ my faith and the love that Jesus showered on me every step of the way. I wanted wellness more than I cared about being embarrassed and scorned.


"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear;
but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
~2 Timothy 1:7

What surprised me the most, was that my blogs started moving ~ first to Germany, then Russia, then to places across the globe that I'd never heard of. As I was praying this morning, I realized that God gave me a way to serve Him in my retirement years. He blessed me; and, in turn, I could bless others with hope and joy in the journey.

I had no idea when I retired that I would end up with six precious pups - most of them rescues. My days began being filled with new adventures and causes. I also had no idea I would be led to the Open Range Church where I would find a joy in worship. Before I knew it, my life was, once again, full.



We go through different seasons in life ~ all of them important in their own way. I had an idea of how I wanted to live my life but God had different ideas taking me down some pretty uncharted territory. I wanted to grow old with my first husband, raising our children, and cherishing our grandchildren. That was not to be and for such a long time, I mourned that. As a single mom, I re-entered the workforce scared to death ~ God knew what I needed to raise my children and I excelled. I got jobs that I wasn't qualified for yet God equipped me. I look back in awe...

This past week, I received a friend request on Facebook from one of the ladies that attended the class I taught on The Power of a Praying Wife. Her beautiful smile immediately brought back memories of that particular group of women who became such fast friends meeting long after the class concluded ~ what an honor it was to shepherd them and touch each of their lives.


My neighbor has a deep aversion to anything involving the church and God. I see the hurt in her eyes and have wondered how I can reach her in the name of Christ. I share my stories of the Lord working in my own life AND continue to invite her to the Open Range Cowboy Church. She has such a big hole in her heart and I grieve for her. I thank God that I was able to go beyond bad church experiences and keep my faith intact. So many can't, calling churches places for hypocrites.


I could go on and on sharing stories of how God used the crap in my life for good. All I know is that as He walked with me, I not only survived but flourished. I wake up every morning wondering how I can reach others and make their day a little brighter. Today's words and actions determine tomorrow's steps to wholeness ~ for myself and maybe, just maybe, for someone else.

May the glory of the Lord shine upon you this day, my precious Readers. May you set aside your defensiveness, anger, bitterness, and hurt long enough to feel the warmth of the living God. Look about you ~ surely there is something for you to smile about. To live one's life without purpose is to have an emptiness that never goes away. God via his messengers will knock on your door ~ He will not break it down, you must open it and have trust in the one who never lies. Listen to the sounds about you ... watch people ... read The Holy Word ... let go of the pain and feel the sun-drenched freedom that moving forward brings! I did and you can too!!!!


Miss Dottie 



PS  Have a blessed day! Join me in stretching your wings and flying on a new adventure!! The sun is shining, the music of nature beckons, and I am saying, ready? set? gooo!!




No comments:

Post a Comment