Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Cotton Bolls

"Autumn carries more gold in its pocket than all the other seasons."
~Jim Bishop

Tuesday
September 1, 2015


"Best part of waking up is Folgers
in your cup!"

Wellll, a top of the mornin' to ya! It's a beautiful day in North Central Texas. It was cool this morning and I enjoyed some coffee on the back patio while the Sensational Six played chase. I love waking up slowly and preparing for my day. I don't know ... something about having to rush, rush, rush, just doesn't put me in the proper mind set.


We were coming back from Cleburne a few days ago and I spied some cotton in a field just outside Hillsboro. Michael screeched to a stop and agreed to get the cotton I wanted. He was sure he was going to get shot but there wasn't anyone nearby to ask.  Breathless, he got into the car with one stalk and I said, "More, I need more!" He rolled his eyes and gave me that look BUT headed back into the field for two more stalks. I was a happy camper and we headed home. I just knew the cotton bolls would fit in my farmhouse cottage decor.

I had posted this story on Facebook and my friend, Pam, said "Shame on you." Yep, Miss Dottie stole some cotton bolls. Luckily, I'm a sinner saved by grace. (That's what I'm telling myself.)

The stalks have been on the back patio for several days while I worked in my gardens but today I decided that it was time to do a little creating. I proceeded to cut the cotton boll stems off the stalks. I was surprised that I got so many cotton bolls to play with!

I gathered up my bolls, a wreath, some twine, wire, and set about looking for places to make some decorations. I had everything on hand so for the next few minutes, I was a worker bee, singing as I created. When my decorating juices are flowing, the joy thermometer goes bonkers! he he

Above the bed, a wreath:




By the back door in the bathroom, tucked a few loose bolls in the Autumn Blessings sign:




On my desk, a little bouquet reminding me of Fall and how much I enjoy the cooler weather:




On the chest, another bouquet to set beside my blessings pumpkin:




On the table next to my chair where I do my devotions and reading ~ another little bouquet to complement Mr. Squirrel:





Ah yes, Fall is in the air ~ in the cottage and in my gardens. Walmart had a wonderful selection of Fall Mums for 96 cents so I filled my cart and had hours of fun planting and cleaning out the beds for Fall yesterday. I was humming and feeling the presence of the One who created the first garden.




Fall is about bringing in the bounty of crops and being grateful for the blessings bestowed upon God's children. I am happiest in the Fall when the leaves turn and tumble to the ground ... when my gardens come alive with the colors of red, orange, gold, purple, and yellow ... when I can see the steam rising from my coffee as I snuggle up on the settee on the back porch. It's a time to breathe deeply appreciating and giving.



As I revel in my serenity and joy, there are others who are facing trials of impending death, chronic disease, cancer, deformity, surgery, heart disease, adultery, abuse, financial upheavals, job losses, aches, pains, and long recoveries. I pray for those on my prayer list and for those that my Lord brings before me. I pray for hope, for strength, for courage ~ I pray for wisdom for the doctors, nurses, and others who are involved in diagnosing and treating. For those traveling, I pray for safety. For those who have received good news, I thank you. For those new parents holding babies, I thank you. My God, You are the great I AM. You hold us all in the palm of your hands comforting and directing our paths. For that, I praise You! I don't understand why bad things happen to good people ~ yet, my faith tells me that You are in control. All of our days are numbered and I pray that we all make the most of the minutes we are given. Amen, Christ Jesus, it is so!!

Miss Dottie

PS  I hope that you will do a little creating of your own today. We all have God-given talents in many different areas ~ it's a shame not to use them.  Always remember how much you are loved and prayed for.  Until next time we chat...

  "Creating means living." ~Dejan Stojanovic

No comments:

Post a Comment