Tuesday, November 19, 2013

What?

The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him,
and he delivers them.
~Psalm 34:17

November 19, 2013

Dear Readers,

I was working outside Friday afternoon and my husband drove up the driveway.  The bookstore closes early on Fridays so I didn't think much about it.  He handed me a paper, I read it, and nearly lost my breath.  He was no longer the bookstore manager. I can't tell you how many different things ran through my mind in a matter of seconds. All I could say is, "What?"  The rest of the day was kind of a blur. In fact, the entire weekend was kind of a blur.

Have you ever had the wind knocked out of you? All I have to do is open my Facebook account and I can read post after post of folks going through trials, others who are getting on their feet, and yet others who are living the dream. Logically I know that life is full of peaks and valleys but, golly gee, even though I've grown most during the down times, I find that it's taking me longer these days to regroup.  I am plain flat out worn out. The only prayer I would muster was, "Jesus, please."

He will cover you with his feathers. He will shelter you with his wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection. Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night, nor the arrow that flies in the day. Do not dread the disease that stalks in darkness, nor the disaster that strikes at midday. Though a thousand fall at your side, though ten thousand are dying around you, these evils will not touch you.
~Psalm 91:4-8 (NLT)


I must tell you a story. Yesterday, the UPS brought me a package and Michael opened the front door. Zoom!  Toby and Ruffles were out in a flash. Toby allowed Michael to pick him up but Ruffy got scared and started running. Michael summoned our neighbor to keep Ruffy in her sight while he took Toby home and got me.  Soon Michael, Beverly, and I were after Ruffy.  Would you believe that little rascal ran about a mile non-stop?? Michael was huffing and puffing, Beverly was trying her best to keep Ruffy within eyesight and I was on a dead run to get my precious baby.  Beverly said that as soon as Ruffles heard me calling, she stopped and her ears perked up. I was frantic hoping that she would dodge the cars on the road. FINALLY, I was close enough for her to not only hear my voice but see me. She turned around, zoomed past Beverly, and jumped into my arms. OMG, I hugged her, kissed her, and my tears fell on her red fur. The lost was found. Beverly said, "She knew she was safe with her mama."

Why am I telling you this story? Well, there are times in life when circumstances get the best of us. We get scared just like Ruffy did. The good news is that if we listen, we will hear the voice of The Master ~ calling, leading, guiding, comforting. It's then that we can turn around and jump into his arms knowing we are safe. It was yesterday that I realized that come what may, God is in control and I don't need to be afraid. Now I just need to conquer my weariness!

"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; 
and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; 
and no one will snatch them out of My hand.…" 
~John 10:27

It was such a warm beautiful day today. I sat outside with the Sensational Six gathered about me. I tossed leaves at them and they would roll in the piles returning for some pats and loving. Life is so simple for them. When I coo'd at Harmony, she laid down on her side and stuck her back leg straight up in the air so that I could scratch her belly. Ruffy had her tail waving like a plume and when I called her she did her "Ruffy Dance." Not to be outdone, Zeke stood on his hind legs turning in circles, "Pick me up, mom!" Kennedy whined and whimpered until I found a spot for him on my lap. Sadie watched patiently and Toby circled waiting for an opportune time to weasel his way through the pack. As long as they are loved, fed on time, have a nice cushy bed to rest in, dental bones to munch, and grass to do their business on, they are happy campers. They live in the moment and just know they will be taken care of. I'm reminded that one day at a time, this too shall pass.

Always remember you are loved and prayed for ... YA YOU!! And, if you don't mind, please pray for me and my family too!

Miss Dottie

PS I read this not too long ago, and used it in a prayer. I hope you will enjoy the quote as much as I did.

 “I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit.”
— Dawna Markova






1 comment:

  1. I'm praying for God to provide! I know you'll be okay, yet if the need ever arises, my front door is always open to you.

    Love ya!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete