Monday, November 25, 2013

Every Day Thanksgiving


"Acknowledging the good that you already have in your life is the foundation for all abundance." ~Eckhart Tolle

November 25, 2013

Dear Readers,

Thanksgiving is late in November so, one month from today we will be celebrating the birth of Christ ... Christmas. Hard to believe that 2013 is coming to an end. Time seems to be zooming by and my thought this morning was to make my days count as long as I had breath.

My neighbor come over this morning and poked her head in the cottage door.  She wanted to finalize plans for Thanksgiving. Actually, it was kind of a fun get-together. We decided that we would forgo the usual trips to the grocery store and arrange a meal thanking God for what he had already provided for us.  She asked if I minded chicken instead of turkey ~ she was going to bake the chicken on top of her cornbread stuffing. My first thoughts were, "What no turkey?" and "Cornbread dressing?"  Then, I erased those thoughts and blurted out, "Sounds great to me."  Who knows, I just might enjoy her cornbread dressing and her creative way of fixing the chicken. I had rolls in the refrigerator, plenty of veggies, and yams. She had a pumpkin pie and, I think we are set! We will not be hungry!!

For years, I would spend bookoos of money at the grocery store and hours in the kitchen preparing a turkey, gravy, dressing, 2 kinds of potatoes, several kinds of vegetables, a big relish dish, jello salads, fruit salads, rolls, and on and on. We would sit at the table that was perfectly coiffed with china, silver, stemware, and, of course cloth napkins. I loved every moment of the preparations and watching my family dig in at the table. Are those days gone? I pray not because it was a way of giving tradition to my family and friends Miss Dottie style! This year will just be a little different.

Since I moved here to small town America, I have had my eyes opened to another way of living. When I lived in the Dallas area, my surroundings were different ~ I was insulated from poverty and how many people were in need. What I thought were necessities weren't needs, they were wants. (Shock) Here, there are huge fancy homes mixed in with tiny bungalows and real needs are so obvious ~ things like heat, air conditioning, food, clothing, medical and dental care ... the list goes on and on. When I had garage sales I think I gave away as much stuff as I sold.  What were my biggest sellers?  Shoes, towels, bedding. No frills...

When Michael resigned from his position at the bookstore, it was a shock because it was something we hadn't talked about. I understood where he was coming from and have supported his decision but it's still been hard to digest.  My usual way of coping has always been to withdraw then figure out a way to rise above. I am an emotional female but also very logical in my thinking.  I have always been an overcomer ... a survivor! Thank you Lord for making me who I am.

A few days ago, I pulled out my Christmas tubs and began to create vinyettes in each room. I sat down on the chair in the master bedroom and looked at the undecorated tree in the corner. The Blessing Tree came to me and I began to use Thanksgiving decorator items and pieces from my past that had given me encouragement. Wasn't Christmas a time of being grateful for what I had?  I just love getting lost in the tree, the lights, and the promise of hope.

Every day is Thanksgiving in my world. It's not just about the traditional fare and festivities, it's much much more. It's living with a heart of gratitude. It's about freedom and sharing with others. It's easy to celebrate in times of plenty ... more difficult in times of trial. To walk in someone else's less fortunate shoes is humbling yet, in a strange way, a comfort. To rise above adversity and be grateful for the journey ... my prayer for today.

Always remember you are loved and prayed for ... YA YOU!!

Miss Dottie

PS  Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the other. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything ~ all she had to live on." ~Mark 12:41-44  NIV

I love this story as it reminds me of my grandmother. All year she would work to make gifts for her children and grandchildren ... mittens, socks, crocheted tablecloths, tea towels, slippers. She gave more than she had to the sick, the needy, the church ... she gave of her time, her talents, and her faith.  Her legacy of Every Day Thanksgiving lives on and on and, I for one, will be so excited to sit at her table in Heaven. 










































1 comment:

  1. Yes, we have so much to be thankful for!! Sadly, it often takes seeing those suffering with hardship to make us see our blessings. It is a time of year to be grateful. I wish I was there to celebrate Thanksgiving with you.

    XXOO~
    Jane

    ReplyDelete