Saturday, March 8, 2014

A Quiet Moment in Time

March 7, 2014

Dear God,

It's so quiet tonight ~ my furry kids are zonked out for the night and I have some time to talk with you. The only sounds are the flames dancing in the fireplace and the tick tocking of the clocks.

Time moves forward never again to be relived except through memories and the written word. The clocks in the cottage tick away reminding me that there is work to be done, people to be reached, love to be dispensed, and a legacy to be passed on. (Brain alert!!) I must interrupt this blog to add a piece of interesting information about me and clocks:

My mother and father helped out at my aunt and uncle's bar/cafe (Bud's Cafe) one weekend and I went to stay at my Grandmother Maggie's. I spent the night in my Aunt Alida's bedroom ~ unfamiliar surroundings. As I lay awake wondering where the boogie men were in this house, I began to hear the sound of Alida's clock on the dresser ~ "tick, tick, tick..." For some reason, I decided that it was a reminder of a safe place and fell soundly asleep. The beat of time has been my comfort sound ever since!

Great-Grandfather on Right
RJ Hall, Civil War Photo
Father, you and I have been walking on this earth for a good many years now. Why is it that wisdom takes such a long time to develop? Over and over, I've heard people (as well as myself) say, "If I knew then what I know now..." You'd think that we all would learn that if history repeats itself generation after generation, we'd do something different so why don't we. Things that are different feel awkward and take practice. Based on doing research on my families or origin, I think my stubbornness and hard headedness comes naturally. You have to be strong and persevere to be a pioneer and trail blazer like so many of my ancestors were. I just carried on the torch. I will say this though ... the torch I carry is a different torch in so many ways ~ my blog being one of them.

"a voice of one calling in the wilderness.'Prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for him.'" ~Mark 1:3

LORD, you have prepared the way for me over these many years. I want to thank you for carrying my blogs across the Internet Highway. I am always surprised when I see countries I've never heard of. Today, I noticed that I had quite a few hits from Readers in Azerbaijan which is a Muslim region in northwestern Iran. I wonder if my Readers are Christians living in this country OR am I preparing their hearts to accept you as Savior? Either way, when I look up the country, I pray for what is going on in that country as well as those who are reading my blog. My prayer list is getting pretty long, Lord ... you are blessing me! My blessings are coming at a perfect time ~ I have no children to get off to school, a job outside the home that I have to rush off to, and, most of the time, no clock to punch. No excuses ~ I have time to read Your Holy Word and pray.


"But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere." ~James 3:17

It is Lent ~ a time to REFRESH and PREPARE. I am fasting from 8pm to 11am or noon (sometimes longer). My belly growls and I am reminded how many in the world have no food or clean water. I am reminded of my sin and how utterly unworthy I am to be called a daughter of You, the living God. There are times when my eyes well up with tears out of this deep gratitude knowing what is coming in 40 days. Without a Savior and Redeemer, I would be lost ~ mentally, spiritually, physically. You found me at the bottom and raised me to a place of serenity, hope, and love. That's my sweet spot!!

Father God in Heaven, I've told you before and I'll keep on telling you, I am grateful to be able to talk with you. As a little girl, I searched through your house hoping for an encounter with You as a real live man. I never found you then but you saw my heart and we've walked through the highways and byways of life ever since. I must admit, there were years when I forgot about you and did life on my own terms ~ those choices have haunted me. My heart repented and repents every day. It is important that I remain open, honest, and teachable.

For those that are traveling with me, I pray your divine protection and blessing would keep them filled with hope. Where there is war, pestilence, hunger, and evil around every corner, I pray that you would swoop down with armies of angels.

Amen.

Miss Dottie

NOTE TO READERS: I just got this great idea. How about instead of giving up things for Lent that you add some things like prayer, fasting, giving to those in need, smiling, counting blessings, singing, worship, savoring meals that have been provided, thinking positive thoughts, and the list goes on. Do something that is out of your comfort zone or a part of your regular routine. Funny ~ when we concentrate on giving and being thankful, everything else just seems to fall into place. 




  

No comments:

Post a Comment