Tuesday, May 19, 2015

New Adventures

May 19, 2015
Tuesday

Dear Readers,


Do I dare say the sun is trying to peek from behind the clouds?  I've lived in Texas for quite some time and have not seen a wetter Spring with more dangerous storms. Michael said that his dad built the storm shelter so that they wouldn't have to go under the house in bad weather. I'm glad that he had the foresight to build this little fortress as I really have felt safe the couple times we've used it this year.

I really need to get back into blogging. After my surgery in March, my thoughts would race through my head and, although, I would start blogs, I would get frustrated and rarely finish one. I've also been dealing with some personal issues that didn't belong "out there" for the world to dissect. My nature has always been to pull away and quiet my brain and gather strength in my sails. I've always enjoyed my own company but to become a hermit has never been in the cards! It's time to spread my wings!


This past Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I had the opportunity to feast on the words of Evangelist Jeremiah Bolich. I always enjoy listening to testimonies and the making of great men and women. It's not really so much about what horrible things happen to us, around us, and within us ... it's more about what we do with our stepping stones to faith, trust, and wholeness. Believe me, I know from first hand experience that in sharing our stories, we are able to draw others to the Lord God. Since I came from a world of "keeping secrets" and "not making waves," it took every bit of courage I had to open my mouth as I addressed my fellow believers. It's never gotten easier to be totally honest and open about my past but when God taps me on the shoulder, I respond because I know that if He brings me to it, He will bring me though it.


After Bible Study on Saturday, we stopped at the Carver Homestead in Whitney to attend an estate sale. I'd always wanted to tour this mansion and wasn't going to miss an opportunity to get inside the doors. The house (although quite run down) didn't disappoint. I picked up 4 old rusty garden stakes that held votive candles (Wabi-Sabi), a beautiful glass juicer, and a book for $4. Most of all, I enjoyed standing inside the house imagining what life was like there in the 1800's and early 1900's. Naturally, I had to go home and google the house and it's history.

When I woke up on Sunday, I was stoked. I was ready wayyy before time to head out and was able to spend some time in prayer. When I got in the car, I had this feeling of joy knowing my day would be extra special. I truly believe that if we expect bad that's what we get ... sometimes a double dose!! I am doing a refresh of thinking positive and expecting good. Guess what? Sunday, I got a double dose of joy.


When I got to church, I hurried up and got my seat saved. Then, it was time to visit, hug, and catch up. Thirty minutes just wasn't enough to greet old friends and meet some new ones! After a fabulous service of rockin' with The Open Range Band, listening to Miss Kitty, Pastor Rick, and the guest Evangelist, we headed to the kitchen for a sumptuous meal prepared by Scooter and his helpers. OMG, BBQ that melted in my mouth, beans perfectly seasoned, and a peach cobbler cooked in a cast iron pot set the stage for a perfect afternoon.


We did go home for awhile to let our precious furry kids outside, get on a change of clothes fit for the Arena, and then headed back to church. I'd never been to a buck-out before and I wanted to see for myself what these little buckaroos did for fun. I stood at the railing watching dads, moms, rodeo clowns, and kids having the time of their lives. The littlest guy riding a sheep must have been all of a year and a half old (the guys held him on his sheep so he wouldn't fall) ... there were kids riding sheep, calves, and young bulls (yep, the kind with horns!). I cheered, I laughed, and secretly wished I could go back in time and ride one of those critters!




























Quite a few years ago, the company I worked for took us all on a trail ride that ended at a log cabin where we feasted on Texas BBQ. What fun that was. Wellll, Terry and Susie brought their horse, Hopper (short for Grasshopper!) to the Arena so I could ride him. Two months out of back surgery and I was on a horse. (Shhhh, don't tell Dr. Carmody!). Hopper sided up to the rail and I climbed over and dropped on! You know, I felt like a little kid. I didn't ride long but I knew I wanted to ride again.

It's wonderful to be able to not let fear take over and inhibit me from doing what I want to do on a day to day basis. I've had some choices to make over the past year ... either stay home and cry because I had no car to go anywhere, cry because I was lonely, cry because finances were constricting, give myself a pity party OR, I could bloom where I was planted enjoying what was before me. It seems like every few weeks someone that I know is dying or has died. I call those wake up calls ~ wake up calls to not miss a moment of joy just because I would rather my joy come from another place. Nope, that's why I went to watch the kids ride and that's why I climbed on Hopper. No regrets.




I have entered the world of the Cowboy who lives for Jesus. As a child, sitting in a pew at Glenwood Lutheran, I could never have dreamed of being where I am today. My plan was to marry a man from Minnesota and live there my entire life surrounded by family and friends. I guess God had other plans because I no more than walked down the aisle and we were headed for the Proving Grounds (Army), Yuma, AZ. After that I went back to Minnesota for a short time then zip, I was headed for Houston, TX. It's been quite a ride!


Dear God, As I sit here in the cottage this Tuesday morning, I am feeling pretty mellow. I have this smile on my face wondering what journey You and I will take today. I have lots of work I could be doing inside but if the weather permits, I will be out trimming rose bushes and cleaning up after last night's wind/rain. I pray for my fellow Christians who are facing trials of this world ~ sickness, surgeries, roads of healing, discouragement, loss, financial woes... I pray prayers of joy for those experiencing your tender love ... the return of a wayward son or daughter, restored relationships, and fruitful adventures. You are calling, wooing, and blessing your sons and daughters, equipping them for service. It is in giving that we receive ~ it is in grieving that we are comforted ~ it is in dying to self that we are blessed. Father, I know first hand what it is to experience disappointment, sorrow, and hurt. I also know what it is to trust when life just doesn't go the way I planned. I think about Job and admire his faith. If he could, I can, and so can you, my Readers. As I pray, I am reminded of a phone call I received last week ~ a call from a young woman who I've known since she was 19. She had faced shame and had to work through repentance, atonement, and coming to the realization of what she experienced would be part of her ministry to other women. You equip us by allowing us to experience life in all arenas. Thank you Jesus, for the long ago ministry of the Need A Friend, Be a Friend group ... Thank you Jesus, for using each of us to wrap our arms around our brothers and sisters who have a need. This day, I call upon You to bless the socks off each and every person whose lives are touched by my blog. Let Your voice be heard! Amen, it is so!

Miss Dottie

PS  Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. ~~Old West Proverb
PSS Now that I've given you some recipes for a great day, "Get your tushy up off the couch and get after it!"




No comments:

Post a Comment