Saturday, May 30, 2015

Soaking? Soaking.

May 27, 2015
Wednesday

Dear God,

Gooood Mooorning Lord! We had another nasty storm last night but there is sun shining down on my gardens this morning. Here, You sit in this blue chair, I'll pull up another and we can talk. I've had my first cup of coffee and have shifted into second gear. Give me a couple more cups and I'll be raring to go!! Give me more than three cups of coffee and I'll be going ninety miles an hour in reverse!! What a visual that is!!!

I was sitting here (dunking my biscuit in hot coffee) thinking about what Pastor Gerald says about Bible verses. To quote a verse without looking at the context around it is picking and choosing. I've sure been guilty about doing that. I think that's one of the important reasons I read through the Bible each year. In the 1980's I took a two year class called WORD and WITNESS at Resurrection Lutheran Church in Plano, TX. It was a big commitment but the time went by so quickly. It takes time to soak in the Word to really get what You are saying.

This morning I read Proverbs 16:30-32 and I think my Readers will understand what I mean by picking and choosing. If I just said "A gray head is a crown of glory" I would be missing the whole picture.


"He who winks his eyes does so to devise perverse things; He who compresses his lips brings evil to pass. A gray head is a crown of glory; it's found in the way of righteousness. He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty; And he who rules his spirit, than he who captures a city..."


I wish I could take a class not only on the Bible but also Biblical history at the same time. As I have grown older, my mind needs repetition in order to retain and relate.

I get these hair-brained ideas of how I can "soak" in Your Word. This is my latest:

I like giving You the first fruits of my day; however, I have decided that I will also give you the the last hour of my day and this is what I am going to do. I will read a chapter out of the Bible ... my favorite is James so I will start there. I will fill my claw foot tub with steamy hot water filled with my special soaking solution. I'll light the candles in my chandelier and holders around the room. I'll "soak" there for 15-30 minutes meditating. Now, that is my plan. Like it?? I knew You would. I plan on starting tonight!!


On the glorious splendor of Your majesty
And on Your wonderful works, I will meditate.
~Psalm 145:5 

Miss Dottie rides
Miss Vivian's horse, Hopper
Lord, I am learning so much at the Open Range Church (besides my attempt to ride a horse!). The Open Range Band get to my heart and sets the stage for Miss Kitty and the pastors. Before each service, I pray to remain teachable. If they step on my toes, I think about what you are saying to me. Ouch, convicted! or (smile) thank you! If I wasn't in church, I wouldn't get these pearls of wisdom. I would be left to my own thoughts which can get sorta "self" centered rather than "God" centered.

I've fallen down, gotten caught in the cross hairs of life, and learned by skinning my knees. You know what though? I've always come crawling back and You've picked me up, dried me off, loved the stuffin' out of me, and sent me back to "try again." I've grown up in the shadow of Your wings for sure!

"He will cover you with his feathers, He will shelter you with his wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection." ~Psalm 91:4

Thank you Dear Jesus, for putting a burning desire in my heart to know You. It's been many years of starting and stopping and starting once again ... a process. There is a reason why older folks grow wise and that's because they've been there, done that, and grown from years of living, making mistakes, and growing in Your forgiveness. I thank you for the Open Range Church and all the other people in this world who care deeply about You. I thank you for your protection and provision each and every day. I thank YOU ... period.

Wisdom is with the aged, and understanding in length of days.
~Job 12:12

Be with those needing a boost today. Touch their lives and open their eyes. Our nation is at a point where we do need to repent and return to you. It seems like so much has been watered down and microwaved. We take showers (well, not me) because we're short on time ... we condense classes to get the meat yet miss the context ... We work work work ~ for what? My coffin may not be as elaborate as some but we all go down into the ground taking nothing with us except what work we did in Your name. My legacy I leave is important to me because I want my family to have really known me inside and out. I want them to know what I stood for and what I was against. They don't need to agree with me but at least they'll not know me as a woose who bobbed up and down according to what what was politically and lawfully correct.

Miss Dottie

PS I wrote this a few days ago and am just now publishing it. Yesterday, I attended the celebration of life service for my dear friend, Vivian. The Open Range Band played her favorite songs and Pastor Dudley gave a beautiful tribute to this special lady ... he shared her life's story, her legacy. As I listened, I was reminded of how one person's life in action could affect so many people for Christ. Miss Vivian's smile, encouragement, and hugs were a treasure. I knew her for less than a year yet our spirits connected and maybe, just maybe God put me in the Open Range Church at the perfect time to meet and be inspired by this glorious soul.

When I am gone, what will I be remembered for? Will I just be buried and forgotten like so many? 

Miss Vivian fought the good fight, completed the race, kept the faith (2 Timothy 4:7). Now, that's pretty awesome!!


  





No comments:

Post a Comment