Saturday, August 22, 2015

Take time, the first time...

August 21, 2015
Friday

Thank you Jesus for the rain, glorious rain, rain drops, refreshing water from Heaven that watered my parched gardens yesterday. To wake up to temperatures in the low 60's was so refreshing. Today, I am peering out the french doors of the cottage at a sun drenched revitalized landscape.

The Sensational Six are up earlier than usual these days. Their lights out time is about 8:30pm so they are raring to go about 4:30am. My eyes were still filled with sleep when 6 pair of eyes surrounded me wanting out. I watched them scamper, first to the lawn to sprinkle the dirt, then, to the lil casa for breakfast. They were extra mouthy this morning ~ Finn was trying to grab Zoe's leg and the little girls, Harmony and Ruffy, were seeing who could get to the back door first. 

Feeding time is always a frenzy in Seidler Dogdom. I was fumbling trying to get a cup of coffee with my left hand and filling dog bowls with my right. Michael stumbled into the kitchen to grab Finn and his bowl (Finn was wiggling and yowling at the top of his lungs trying to get to his food) ~ I set down bowls for Toby, Ruffy, Harmony, & Kennedy (in that exact order). Zoe prefers to eat her breakfast next to me on the sofa while I sip on my coffee. Didn't take long and their bellies were full. Yay!


We've been cleaning out and organizing the shed ~ a monumental task that seemed to last forever. I must say, when we wrapped it up Wednesday and shut the door late afternoon, we both gave a sigh of relief. The task of cleaning out and organizing the storm shelter is next on the agenda. Somehow, my chore list keeps growing!! Funny, when I was young and had the stamina to do all sorts of physical labor I had money to hire it done. Now, it's way too expensive to hire someone to do my chores, and my body says, "Waittt a minute..."


One of my passions has been that of interior design. I have been fortunate to have been able to create some pretty awesome rooms over the years. I have never been a clothes nut but I sure do drool over a painting, beautiful rugs, and leather-bound books. Most of the accessories in my home have a story to tell and I like that...

I have learned from some pretty awesome decorators, landscapers, and craftsman. Today, my woman's cave aka The Cottage is my own little haven where I try out new ideas and continue my growing and learning process. As a young woman, I was always so afraid of making a mistake ~ I give kudos to my ex-husband as he encouraged me saying, "Go for it, if you don't like it, do it over." 

My latest project has been to sand and repaint the wood floor.


Rosemary Sprig
Painted Floor 7/2012
The cottage was completed in July 2012. The floor was the last thing done and, I must say it looked fabulous. I looked at Lupe and he looked at me and we gave each other a high five. Mission completed in 4 months ... job well done!

The lease was up on our storage unit so some things had to go into the cottage. Problem was that the floor hadn't cured and got scraped when the heavy fireplace went in. AND, there were several places that needed touching up from heavy traffic moving furniture in place.

Lupe's crew said they would sand and repaint but I was impatient (as usual) and said we'd do it manana (later). I've been meaning to repaint the floor ever since; however, one thing got moved to the front of the to-do list then another. I didn't follow my own advice ... If you don't take time to do it right, when will you find the time to do it over?

I did learn a valuable lesson: when I hire someone to do painting or work around the house I need to ask more questions about the process. Hindsight told me that I should have paid for another month of storage and let the paint get not just dry but cure as well. I'd painted lots of walls and thought dry is dry. Nope ... live and learn!

August 16, 2015, I decided to take the bull by the horns, buy the paint, read up on painting a wood floor, and set August 18 as the day I would start my project.

Luckily, I did keep a swatch of paint (Benjamin Moore - Rosemary Sprig) which meant that I might not have to paint every square inch of the floor (I did NOT want to have to take out the claw foot bathtub!). I spent some time talking with the paint lady at the local Ace Hardware (Fleming Lumber) store. She gave me some tips and suggested a light sanding before I started to paint. 

Paint in hand, I trekked to the local Walmart to check out sanders. I finally decided on a little Black & Decker Mouse Sander and was so excited to get it home and try it out. Worked like a charm ... lightweight, easy to use, and perfect for the job I had to do.

My first part of the project was to sand and repaint the floor in my closet. I took everything out, sorted through all the clothes, and got out my handy dandy sander. OMG, that little tool worked like a charm. It sanded and sucked up the dust leaving very little for me to clean up. The Benjamin Moore Advance Paint was amazing. I didn't know that paint would float ~ the paint saleslady at Ace was right. I think from start to finish, it took me just a few hours (including the purging of my clothes).


The dehumidifier was moved to the bathroom and I set my fan on a stand a distance away but close enough to help dry the paint. As it said on the can, the paint was dry to the touch in a couple hours. I let the floor dry overnight and moved in my shoe rack and gizmo that holds my necessary things. I did notice that if I walked on the floor in my socks, it was fine. When I wore my tennis shoes, they left an indentation. Sooo, I did some light sanding and repainted just where I walked. That was Monday, today is Friday and I am letting the paint cure before I put my rug, chair, mannequin, and the rest of my boots in there.


The bathroom is the next leg of my project but that will need to wait until I can move stuff into the closet that is now on the floor. I am excited though as the closet really does look nice.

One of my biggest faults has always been my impatience. Life has taught me that my impatient nature (although good in many ways) has needed to be tempered with patience. I thank God ~ He's put me through enough trials for me to want to not have to do things over again. In 2004, I had 360 degree back surgery and had to lay on my back for six weeks. Nearly drove myself crazy. I had a child who became an alcoholic in high school. It took years of praying, attending Alanon, and learning to NOT be an enabler before a miracle happened.


A year ago, my husband nearly lost his life due to an addiction to several things. I cried out to my Lord, "Again?" Thank goodness, I had a wonderful program under my belt, a strong faith, and people who were willing to come alongside me. Yesterday, Michael and I celebrated our Anniversary. We were married in the lil casa when mom was still living here and now, here we are 12 years later. I call him my heavenly sandpaper!

Every season of life has purpose and most of mine have been to teach me patience. It is possible to have the crazies of life running rampant about me and still having a sense of peace. I heard this once from a very wise woman in Alanon, "God will not ask you how _______ led his/her life. He will ask you how you led your own life." Ever since then, I have known that I must be all that I can be in serving my Savior, the one who redeemed me, with all that I have. I don't want to miss a single day of living!!

Dear God, I thank you for the glorious rain that gave a drink to my parched garden. When I heard that whisper of thunder I wondered if I could dare hope. Father, You teach us through life's experiences. Some folks are hard headed and impatient like me so we need to go through those experiences more than once. Forgive us! I pray specifically for those who are going through the muck and mire of life wondering when the pain will stop. I pray for those dealing with chronic illness including cancer, fibromyalgia, arthritis, MS, and depression coated with anxiety. Place your healing hands on us, your people granting hope when there seems to be none. You are the great I AM and, I know in my heart, that You are in control. Our days are numbered and only You know when we will depart from this earth. Help us to live like there is no tomorrow appreciating each moment. Jesus ... oh the name of Jesus ... Redeemer, Savior, Healer! Amen, it is so.

Miss Dottie

PS I read the Be-Attitudes this morning. No author noted...

The overly ambitious do right if it is to their advantage to do so.
The coward does right because it is safer to do so.
The miser does it right when it is cheaper to do so.
The common person does it right because it is expected. 
But blessed is the person who does right because it is right.

Have a beautiful day and ALWAYS REMEMBER
YOU ARE LOVED AND PRAYED FOR ... YA YOU!!

1 comment:

  1. Mom,

    The cottage looks amazing--nice job painting! Your patience paid off :-)

    For those of us lucky enough to live a long life, we have ample opportunity to learn! I too, struggle with patience, and agree, it is a blessing and a curse.

    Have a wonderful day!
    XXOO~
    Jane

    ReplyDelete