Monday, February 11, 2013

Buzzard Billy's Swamp Shack


February 6, 2013

The night air is cool and I am reveling in the glow of a fabulous day.  The month of January 2013 was fraught with crisis after crisis.  I think I muddled through the month in a state of shock and sheer determination of getting things done that had to be done.  By the time February arrived, I was ready to collapse in a chair wondering how I managed to get through those weeks.  Feelings put on hold have come gushing out needing to be dealt with.  Mom's passing has left such a void in our lives while my fall has made it's presence known for sure.  All I can say is ouch ouch ouch!!

My friend, Beverly, picked me up late morning and chauffeured me down I35 to Buzzard Billy's Swamp Shack located on the Brazos River.  I'd been there a few times before and was so excited to be not only out of the house  but, as a foodie, looking forward to some sumptuous Cajun and Creole cooking.  We were hoping to park ourselves out on the Buzzard Deck so we could feed the fish, turtles, and ducks that circle below waiting for treats.  No such luck ... it was raining and we had to venture inside and enjoy the view from the windows.  I must say, the view of the Brazos River is breathtaking!

Besides offering a fun atmosphere, the menu was chock full of interesting fare.  I was wishing they'd had a sampler plate so I could be more adventurous in expanding my palate.  I'd had their crab corn soup before and I knew that was a must.  The dilemma came when decided whether to try the Alligator Eggs, Texas Toothpicks, Mean Green Buzzard Wings, Alligator Strips, Fried Crawfish (better known to locals as mud bugs!) or other pasta, sausage, fish, and meat dishes common to the Gulf and Louisiana.  I knew for sure I wanted to save room for their bread pudding with whiskey sauce.

The walls at Buzzard Billy's are covered with gulf signs, pictures of boats, and Waconian memorabelia.  Colorful lights border the deck to make night time dining a special treat.  Shelves are filled with young alligator heads and there is a sense that this shack has always been a part of the Brazos River coastline.

For me, dining is not only about the food, it's about the whole experience.  It's about trying new foods and expanding my taste buds to include something besides the all-American burger and french fries.  Like me, Beverly is enjoys finding local hole in the walls.  Most of the time, we ooh and aah over the cuisines indigenous to different areas of Texas ... then again, there are times we say, "never again."

Alligator Eggs - Yum!
It was fun to savor each dish brought to our table.  We had decided to split some Mean Green Buzzard Wings, Fried Crawfish, Key Lime Pie, and Bread Pudding.  Believe me, we managed to stuff ourselves and have fun critiquing each dish.  Would we do the wings again?  Probably not ... not hot enough.  The Fried Crawfish?  Absolutely!!!  The desserts were wonderful and large enough to ask for a to-go box for another round of sweets before bed.  I also asked for a to-go box for the wings.  (Goofy me ... I set my to-go boxes on the patio table outside when I got home and went inside to get a fork.  While I was gone, Sadie managed to snatch the boxes off the table and munch down a feast.  I was left with the sauce.  Bummers!!)

Each day is such a gift and I revel in the times when I am able to walk into the world and experience all the goodness, joy, and beauty around me.  Today, I had a block of time that was free of the saddness and pain of Mom's passing and my health issues related to my fall.  I was able to think beyond the doom and gloom reported by newscasters and realized how important it is to focus on goodness, friendship, and what I can do rather than what I can't.

My habits often can get me into a rut.  I am so used to doing a lot of manual labor around the house and yard.  I really don't mind because it keeps me in shape and saves on the budget.  Since my fall, I haven't been able to stretch above my head, dig, and get down on my hands and knees and scrub the floors.  Therefore, when I am not able to follow my usual routines, I feel rather lost.  It's nice to have friends who say, "Come on ... get dressed, we're headed out for the day ... all you have to do is enjoy!"

As night closes in on me, I shut my eyes in prayer for you my Readers...  I pray that you have a friend who dares to kidnap you for a day of fun.  I pray that you know that you are loved and cherished at a time when you need it most.  I pray that God will wrap you in his arms and sing songs of love to you this night.

Miss Dottie

PS  Ecclesiastes 4 tells us:  "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work.  If one falls down, his friend can help him up.  But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up."





  




2 comments:

  1. Oh that restaurant is calling me!!! Yum Yum - plus great atmosphere! We have to go the next time I visit. I do love those little hole in the wall places--we live in a new suburb, so there are a lot of the unique family owned restaurants. I look forward to venturing out with you.

    Have a great day,
    XXOO~
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. correction to my comment - AREN'T a lot of unique family owned restaurants.

    ReplyDelete