Saturday, February 23, 2013

Silver is ___________!

February 23, 2013

Well hello, Readers!  It is an absolutely gorgeous day in the neighborhood!!  I woke up with two sets of big brown eyes staring down at me letting me know it was time for breakfast, a potty call, and PLAY TIME!!  Love it.  I also had a text from my husband letting me know he was boarding a plane to head home to Dallas.  (More on that story in another blog!)  I greeted my day ... a day full of hope and promise.


It's downright cold here this morning and I find myself peering through a frosty pane of glass as I peek out at the birds gathering around the feeder.  Guess I am following in my grandmother's shoes 'cause I love to sip on a cup of tea or mug of hot coffee as I hypnotically watch them munch, sing, and flutter about.

I am getting things in order for my neck surgery on February 28.  I know I will be out of commission for a few weeks then who knows what the orthopedic guy will decide about my shoulder.  Oh, I just hate it that I fell and managed to bum myself up so much.  I'm a silver haired lady who loves to be active and on the go...

Speaking of silver ... my Aunt Laura had beautiful silver white hair, my mom had beautiful silver white hair, and I managed to get kind of a mix between silver and dark brown.  I have the stacked color without having to pay for it!!  How cool is that?


I spent mucho dollars on getting my hair colored then coloring it myself.  The good news is that my hair looked great; the bad news was that my hair started falling out from coloring it so often.  To rectify the problem, my children Tommy and Jane decided to shave my head.  The dark brown hair was passe!!  If you're wondering what I did before that lovely day, I made a trip to Mimi's in Richardson, TX (she does wigs for cancer patients) and got  me one of those pretty silver wigs.  I had a friend, Tamikka, at work who encouraged me to start playing with my hair using wig products.  As a very conservative person, I found that getting out of my rut was exhilarating!!  My husband LOVES all my different looks and so do I!

Jhirmack sends me posts on Facebook about silver haired beauties and their stories. There are times when I think we try so hard to stay youthful by dying our hair that we miss the beauty of going the way of silver with stylish do's and fashionable clothing.  Silver doesn't need to mean dowdy!  There are wonderful hair products out there to take away the yellow in gray hair and even hair spray to make that silver pop and shine.  Yep, silver can be very sexy!!  What do you think?  How would you fill in the blank?  Silver is ________!!


There is nothing more attractive about a woman than the glow that comes from within and the smile on her face.  I attribute my serenity and glow to my faith in the goodness of my Savior.  I am so grateful that He tapped me on the shoulder and said, "Come!"  My silver hair is my reward, my halo!


"A gray head is a crown of glory; it is found in the way of righteousness."
~~Proverbs 16:31


Have a wonderful day and always remember that you are loved and prayed for ... YA YOU!!

Miss Dottie

PS  "Gray hair is God's graffiti." ~~ Bill Cosby

PSS  If you're a blond, brunette, or red head who is covering up your gray with bottles of dye and you want to know what you'd look like with silver tresses, visit a wig shoppe that does wigs for cancer patients (please don't go the cheap route -- your wig won't look natural!).  I will warn you, it probably won't feel normal when you look in the mirror.  Bring a trusted friend that will tell you the truth about how you look.  Above all else, have fun and make it an adventure!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh - I remember shaving your head. he! he! Now that takes guts.....I guess sometimes you need to start with a clean slate; in your case, a clean scalp. Our family was blessed with thick hair, so you should be proud of your gorgeous silver hair, but if you're having a bad hair day, grab a wig....you get to have your cake AND eat it too.

    Love the blog and you too!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete