Friday, February 15, 2013

The lot of the warrior...

February 11, 2013

Today the nation mourned the loss of Chris Kyle, Navy Seal.  Chris was a warrior ... a sniper ... a man focused on keeping his men safe and conquering the enemy.  Now, I've read some pretty cruel statements ~~ "Our video violence comes of age..." and also watched Chris's memorial service as man after man and woman after woman gave tribute to the soldier, husband, father, son, brother, and friend.  Chris Kyle's life was a study of contrasts.  How could such a fierce fighter have such a soft heart?  How could a warrior like Chris (a man who loved the Lord) kill the enemy?


David wrote Psalm 144 which was quoted in the memorial service for Chris Kyle.  I read through the Psalm and tears filled my eyes to the point of my having to stop and meditate on what I had read.  I thought about warriors of all sorts who make this world a better place.  Oh, I know what you're thinking ... there are bad warriors as well.  I'm afraid you're right but for now, I am thinking about the good guys.  Don't you forget, in the Bible, the good guy wins!!

Psalm 144
  Blessed be the LORD, my rock,
who trains my hands for war,
and my fingers for battle;
he is my steadfast love and my fortress,
my stronghold and my deliverer,
my shield and he in whom I take refuge,
who subdues peoples under me.
O LORD, what is man that you regard him,
or the son of man that you think of him?
Man is like a breath;
his days are like a passing shadow.
Bow your heavens, O LORD, and come down!
Touch the mountains so that they smoke!
Flash forth the lightning and scatter them;
send out your arrows and rout them!
Stretch out your hand from on high;
rescue me and deliver me from the many waters,
from the hand of foreigners,
whose mouths speak lies
and whose right hand is a right hand of falsehood.
I will sing a new song to you, O God;
upon a ten-stringed harp I will play to you,
who gives victory to kings,
who rescues David his servant from the cruel sword.
Rescue me and deliver me
from the hand of foreigners,
whose mouths speak lies
and whose right hand is a right hand of falsehood.
May our sons in their youth
be like plants full grown,
our daughters like corner pillars
cut for the structure of a palace;
may our granaries be full,
providing all kinds of produce;
may our sheep bring forth thousands
and ten thousands in our fields;
may our cattle be heavy with young,
suffering no mishap or failure in bearing;
may there be no cry of distress in our streets!
Blessed are the people to whom such blessings fall!
Blessed are the people whose God is the LORD!

I am a warrior ... I asked God to put me on the front lines and He did.  I am here to tell you that it has been worth it.  He gives me courage to stand up for what I know is right when my knees are knocking and my words are a stuttering.  David had his Goliaths and Chris Kyle had his Goliaths.  In fact, we all have our Goliaths and dragons to slay.  When you're worried, give Psalm 144 a read ... it'll calm those raging storms and give you peace knowing that whatever you're facing, God is faithful to equip you.

Always remember you are loved and prayed for ... YA YOU!

Miss Dottie

PS  "I've lived the literal meaning of the 'land of the free' and 'home of the brave.' It's not corny for me.  I feel it in my heart.  I feel it in my chest." ~~ Chris Kyle

Maybe we all need to be less quiet about the evils of this world as well and not worry so much about being politically correct.  I've always said. "I may not like what you have to say but I darn sure will listen and honor your right to be heard!!"

  





1 comment:

  1. Ughh - such a tragedy! Chris was a good man and to die helping someone dealing with post traumatic stress disorder is criminal. There have been so many shootings this year. I do not think there is an easy solution to gun control.....there are too many guns out there already..... very sad.

    XXOO~
    Jane

    ReplyDelete