Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Power of Contentment

In every circumstance not that I speak from want; for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.
~Philippians 4:11-12-


December 7, 2013


Dear Readers,

Several days ago, I chatted with a young woman and, afterwards, one word kept popping into my mind ... contentment. Try as I may, that word has not left me alone!! Each time I thought about contentment, something different would come to mind. Even my sleep or busyness I could not escape this w-o-r-d. I'm saying, "uncle," and have decided to blog away my thoughts.


Key to Contentment according to Miss Dottie:

Contentment isn't a matter of being content with your situation in life and never attempting to improve it.  For me, it's a sense of being content with what I have AND also knowing that I always need to try to improve, no matter how content I am.  If I don't, I will have given up and will be dead.

There have been times in my life that I wasn't content. There have been times when I wasn't happy and things seemed so black and dismal. I wasn't content with the way things were and I reacted badly. Now I realize that my own outlook was a major contributor to my plight.  It took me years to realize that I chose to be happy or unhappy. That may sound harsh but in my experience, it was true.  You might disagree with me and say, "You don't know what I've been through or am dealing with." That's true, but please bear with me.

I've gone through most of the ugly things in life: being traumatized as a child, molested, abused as a young woman, adultery, divorce, severe illnesses, depression, surgeries, dealing with wayward children, and on and on. That being said, my journey has taken me to a place of contentment knowing that the Lord has always had my back and has used my life for good. When I lived in the women's shelter to escape my tormentor, I was content & the Lord used me there. Because I knew first hand what other women were going through, I was able to hold out my hand. Was it easy?  Absolutely not!!! What I am saying is that my behaviors and thoughts and attitudes were different than my times of unhappiness. How did I get there?

There was a time when I was so unhappy that I wished to die.  My focus was on all the bad in my life. Not only that but I continually thought about my plight ~ I would complain to whoever would listen, and would ask God, "Why me?" I would allow myself to sink into inaction and eventually the depression that consumed me. I felt backed into a corner which made my situation worse. I had a critical spirit and gradually got to a place where I bottomed out.

Now, that being said, I also had periods of happiness. I was joyful and fun to be around. I was the hostess with the mostest, playful, bright, and lived up to my precocious spirit.  Sounds great, huh?  Well, it really wasn't okay because my life began to resemble a roller coaster and the downs began to outweigh the ups.  I began to not recognize the woman God created me to be.  Publicly I was always on top of the world, privately I lived in hell on earth.

It's been quite a journey these many years and I wish I could say that my contentment came at the snap of a finger like Ebenezer Scrooge. One thing I did do was make a decision to totally trust God with my life whatever it held. I also began to keep a gratitude journal and read the daily walk Bible that my boss had given me for my birthday. One minute at a time, one day at a time, something changed in me.

I gradually began to be happy, despite my conditions. I found contentment in what I already had instead of wishing I had something else. Contentment and faith not only made me happy but transformed my life.

It's the season of Winter, of Christmas, and I want to continue on my journey of contentment over the next few days. I pray that the Lord my God would give me the words to say to share who I was and who I am now. I would invite you to join me.

Always remember that you are loved and prayed for ... YA YOU!!

Miss Dottie

PS St Augustine said: "You have made us for yourself, and our hearts are restless till they find their rest in you."

He's talking about the Lord God and I happen to think that's so very true.


1 comment:

  1. What a journey you have had and you've grown so much--spiritually and personally. Some never learn and repeat the same mistakes over and over again. You are blessed to have "seen the light" and moved in a healthy, positive direction. I'm proud to call you, Mom!!

    XXOO~
    Jane

    ReplyDelete