Monday, December 9, 2013

Thoughts on an Overcast Wintry Day

Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life. ~ John 5:24


December 9, 2013

Dear Readers,

I received an email today from a reader that nearly broke my heart. One of her friends sent her a letter about her belief in the Lord that put her in a tailspin.  I firmly believe that hurt people hurt people and, in this case, I believe that to be true which makes me even sadder.

Her letter brought back a time when I had an accountability partner who was very controlling and who informed me that if I didn't follow her suggestions she would divorce me as my accountability partner. I was not sinning in any way ... just not making a choice she thought was appropriate. I remember our last meeting like it was yesterday and it still grieves me to this day.

There are religions that still practice their Christianity under the law. I want to scream, "Please read the New Testament!"  I may step on some toes here but Jesus fought against legalism, judgement, and fundamentalists.  He brought in a new regime so to speak ... one of grace, love and serving.

Based on what is written in the Bible, this is my take on salvation. Once we accept Christ in our hearts, we receive the gift of salvation (eternal life).  I know that Jesus doesn't take back his gifts so from then on I know that I belong to him and he belongs to me.  Now, this is where it gets sticky. If one merely says the words and promptly goes their own way are they still saved?  I doubt it BUT God is the only one who knows the heart and it will be to Him that we will answer to at the time of our earthly death. No one will be standing before me, you can bank on that!

To be a Christian is so simple yet complicated as well.  It's so easy for us to judge others before really digging deeply into our own thoughts and actions.  In my previous two blogs, I wrote about contentment.  Jesus is the perfect image of contentment.  He holds out his hand for us to grab on to.  He could make us love him but he doesn't.  He's given us free will.  It is his desire for all to be saved and, believe me, he taps us on the shoulder.  He's just there when we give up the self and enter his realm of peace.


"Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven;" ~Luke 6:37

In the letter to my reader, she was criticized for celebrating Christmas and other holidays because they were rooted in paganism.  Yes, so much of our holidays have been commercialized BUT how can it be wrong to celebrate the birth of the man who came not to condemn the world but to save it??  I, for one, happen to love everything Christmas ... sights, sounds, smells, the whole shebang.  Will I go to hell for putting up a Christmas tree or for enjoying the ho ho ho's of Santa Claus?  I doubt it.


Best of all, Christmas means a spirit of love, a time when the love of God and love of our fellow men should prevail over all hatred and bitterness, a time when our thoughts and deeds and the spirit of our lives manifest the presence of God. ~George F. McDougall

We draw more people to us with love and compassion than we ever to with shouts of hell and brimstone.  I was brought up in the Lutheran faith and loved everything about it.  It was the faith of my forefathers.  I was baptized as a baby, confirmed, and married in the church.  I still draw upon my Lutheran roots as I remember fondly my lovely grandmother who lived her faith.  As an adult, I began to attend Baptist-based churches and non-denominational churches who believed in adult baptism.  It was in those churches that I grew the most and found serenity. I was baptized in the pool in my own backyard surrounded by nearly 100 friends. Something happened to my spirit and soul that day that I will never ever forget. It was at that moment that real change began in my own heart.  Am I closer to the Lord than my Lutheran family?  Good gosh, NO!!

Readers, please, if you get nothing else from my blogs, please know that if you truly accepted Christ as your Savior in your heart, that gift cannot be revoked.  This Christmas show your love and compassion for your fellowman withholding judgement and holding out your hand. There is no greater sadness than holding on to loving words and deeds not delivered to those about you. Make time for those who truly matter. The best gift you can give them is the purity of your full attention. Just be present with them and pay attention to the little things, because when you really miss someone, you miss the little things the most, like just laughing together.

Always remember you are loved and prayed for ... wherever you are on your journey of life ... YA YOU!!

Miss Dottie

AFTERTHOUGHTS:

The journey begins when we are born.  Make your journey worthwhile every single day, because the distance we each get to travel is a mystery beknownst only to God.  Looking for gift suggestions? Try the following!



GIVE THE FOLLOWING GIFTS:

To your enemy . . .forgiveness,

To your opponent . . .tolerance.
To a friend . . . your heart.
To a customer . . . service.
To all men . . .charity.
To every child . . . a good example
To yourself . . .respect

-Author Unknown 

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love your afterthought ... And to this blog, I say, "Amen"!!

    XXOO~
    Jane

    ReplyDelete