Monday, September 29, 2014

#4 is Seated

September 29, 2014
Monday

Dear Readers,

Tick tock, tick tock... Or, should I say (with speed) tick tock, tick tock, tick tock? The days go by so quickly. I am reminded that my dinner party with five special guests was scheduled to start before the end of last week and here it is Monday. The Cotton Pickin' Fair was last weekend and I've had been burning candles on both ends trying to get enough product that would appeal to different people.

As it turned out, the Cotton Pickin' Fair was quite some distance from where the Farmer's Market was set up. We had some regulars show up but business was s-l-o-w. Next year, I will definitely have my spot saved among the fair booths. Live and learn...

My list of those I'd like to invite grew longer than I expected and I almost found myself saying "Eeny meeny miney mo..." Ever find yourself doing that when you just couldn't seem to make up your mind? I'm laughing because I bet you have!

To narrow down my list, I figured that if I knew someone fairly well, I wouldn't need to invite them. After all this is supposed to be a group of people I wanted to know more about and who would enlighten my journey forward. All that being said, I crossed off more names. I have the Lord Jesus Christ at the head of the table; RJ Hall on His left; and John Zebedee on His right. I like that!!

Okay, here we go!! The fourth person invited to my dinner party would be Paula Deen!! I have always loved cooking and baking and got such a kick out of her cooking show. It isn't unusual for me (around Thanksgiving) to stay in my nightgown concocting this and that in my kitchen all day and into the night forgetting about everything except what I am going to make next. I knew I'd want to include someone who could cook, create, and be unique in style and character. I swayed back and forth between Paula Deen and Emeril Lagasse known for his catchphrases such as, "Kick it up a notch!" and "Bam!"

Did you know that Paula Deen is a Christian who holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from Criswell College in biblical studies and in library science? She does. Some time ago now, she was beaten up pretty badly for using the "N" word ~ no amount of confessing or atonement would satisfy the savage beasts riping her apart. I was listening to a newscaster say, "She even cried fake tears." Oh boy... It always amazes me how some people get by with murder and society just looks the other way. There are those who can lie, cheat, steal, commit adultery, and we have excuses for them. Not so, with Paula ... she had to be destroyed.

There are the hate mongers who love nothing more than to dig up dirt and embellish it until the most innocent of folks is crushed. How about Jesus Christ? What did he ever do that warranted being whipped and hung on a cross? Nothin' except get some guys knickers in knots. After He drove the moneychangers out of the temple, the leaders of the Jewish establishment and the Romans realized that he threatened their power and that He had the charisma to lead a guerrilla uprising against Imperial Rome. Oh no!!

You see, we're a culture of gawkers. Specifically, we're a culture of side show and tragedy gawkers. We tune in to the 6 o'clock news to listen to the gorry details of what's going on in our country and abroad, the weather, and what movie stars are doing that is so shocking. We gasp at despicable behavior then stay tuned ~ we slow down when we pass a car wreck to survey the damage, and maybe even the body count. We respond to dangerous behavior by oohing and aahing and passing along the gossip. "Did you hear???"

You know, to be fair, there are some genuinely tolerant Americans who believe judgment should be withheld until guilt is absolutely proved; who believe a person is to be judged by the whole of his or her character and not by one flaw; who do not think one word should make a person eternally guilty; who think sins can be forgiven and that redemption is possible. Come on, raise your hand if you're one of these!!

We've all experienced the sadness of being gossiped about and abandoned without mercy. We've experienced the pain of being misunderstood and not given the benefit of the doubt. When it's all said and done, the one thing I want to do is offer hope and a hand. And, on that note, Paula, welcome to my dinner party. Hors d'oeuvres are on the buffet.

Now, y'all, please pass the butter and let's have a wonderful day. Only one more empty chair and it's going to be a hard one to fill!

Always remember you are loved and prayed for ... YA YOU!!

Miss Dottie


Dear God, You are a forgiving God. A God of mercy, love, and compassion. Let us not be caught up in the rush of blame, shame, and guilt ~ the witch trials and scapegoating. As I am seating my guests, I am reminded of the amazing grace You showered upon your children as believers. Help us to listen and to remain calm in the eye of the storm. Let us not be so enamored with those in power, the rich, the famous, and the do-gooders with self-serving thoughts that we lose perspective. Provide and protect those who call upon the name, "Jesus." We are born and we will die. It's really what we do in between that counts! Amen, it is so.

No comments:

Post a Comment