Monday, September 1, 2014

The terrifying and thrilling journey of unexpected blessings....



Labor Day
Monday, September 1, 2014

Dear Readers,

The leaves are falling from the big tree. As I write, I look up to see them floating to the ground covering it with a blanket for the upcoming winter. I look forward to cooler days and the warmth of darker evenings. I have decided to take it easy today just doing what is absolutely necessary. Even homemakers and caregivers need some down time ~ after all, it is LABOR DAY!


My Iris Cottage Partner, Beverly
Several days ago, I made a Facebook posting about a special visit and gift from my friend, Beverly. Afterwards, another friend, Laura, made the comment ... "And so it begins...the terrifying and thrilling journey of unexpected blessings..." I've thought about that a lot today realizing how blessed I have been in my lifetime. Life sure hasn't turned out the way I thought it would; however, I must say that the ultimate blessings have far outweighed the bad.

For many of my mornings, I've opened my eyes wondering what delicious surprises God would have in store for me. Of course, I am human so there's been the other days too when I opened my eyes with a squint wondering if I'd be done in by the stones coming from every which way. When I facilitated a class on THE POWER OF A PRAYING WIFE, I would tell the ladies to put on the full armor of God when they woke up. It worked for me and they told me it worked for them. Give it a try...

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord's people."  ~Ephesians 6:10-18 (NIV)




Yesterday was "Son"day and even though Michael was weak, we made the decision to go to church.  The instant we stepped inside, there was this sense of  "everything's going to be okay." I wrote on the top of my Sermon Notes: "The joy of fellowship!" Michael made the comment, "Unless, someone came here, they wouldn't know the impact of the music ministry, empathy of Pastor Rick, and wisdom of Pastor Dudley." When the band played and sang, "Please Come Down to Me" I thought my heart was going to burst. I was thinking, "They are playing this song for me." Then, I opened my eyes to see a woman kneeling at the altar surrounded by loving arms.







I have always enjoyed the children's sermons given at church. Miss Kitty has a way of embracing the little buckaroos and getting their attention. I have this deep love for children and just the look on their faces each Sunday morning, makes my day. The little guy in the blue shirt sat next to Michael in church before he went up to see Miss Kitty then go to Sunday School. He was such a polite little guy ... and, he sure could get movin' and groovin' to the gospel music! Jesus said, bring the little ones unto me!! 


Pastor Rick always gives these meaningful little sermonettes ~ this time, he told us of having his shoes shined by a happy snapper. He asked why the man was so happy and got an earful. The man said Jesus was the reason for his joy ... He takes away our bad. Yes, He does!! In spite of all our flops and fumbles, He loves us, wooing us, leading us to new lives.

My bad... With all my good intentions, I am a flawed lady. I pick myself apart far more than anyone else does and I struggle each day as I see every single thing I've done wrong. It took me years to realize that there were lots of things that I've done right and I needed to focus on those.

I usually have my camera with me wherever I go. I was taking a photo of the Open Range stage and a gentleman stepped in front of the camera. He realized that he'd messed up my photo and said, "Oops, I forgot to smile." I laughed and said, "OK, smile for the camera" and I took another picture. He introduced himself as Brandon Brown then introduced his family (his "herd" as he called them). I asked if I could use his photo and he grinned from ear to ear. I won't forget Brandon Brown, his sense of humor, and engaging personality. Again, the joy of fellowship!




James 1:2 says that when troubles come our way we are to consider it an opportunity for great joy. Boy howdy, I've had a tough go with that one. The only way I have been able to count hardship as a blessings was to look back and see what came from the trial I was facing. How would I have guessed that my trial as a battered wife would turn into a position of the Board of Directors that established the first women's shelter in Collin County. Who would have known the blessings that came from a divorce would result in my becoming a Stephen's Minister? With each trial in my life, I can point to the good that God used that trial for in my life. With each hurt, scar, and fall, I gained empathy for my fellow travelers in life extending a hand and sharing the promises of Jesus.

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." ~ Romans 8:28

My life has been a thrilling journey filled with amazing people offering bits of enlightenment, wisdom, and compassion. As a Stephen's Minister, I realized that people don't care how much you know until you know how much they care. My God given purpose has been to wrap my arms around my fellowman and share my story offering hope and encouragement. It's where I find my greatest fulfillment. Every time the Lord has tapped me on the shoulder, I have been ready to report for duty. I am so scared to speak in public yet (knees knocking) I shared my testimony with over a thousand folks. I get tongue-tied when I lead a prayer (unlike my 11 year old grandson who, I swear, is going to be a preacher!) yet God called me to be in a prayer group where each member prayed out loud including me. I had a distaste for the showy worship style of jumping up and down and raising holy hands yet that's me now worshiping my Jesus wholeheartedly and unashamedly. Don't say never because that might just be the thing that God asks of you.

Yup, yesterday, I got to go to church! Yee Haa!! I got to shake some hands, give some hugs, kiss a few cheeks, and revel in the midst of other believers worshiping Jesus.  My new church is part of my thrilling journey!!

Miss Dottie

Dear Jesus, You are our salvation and our hope. In times of trial, You give us strength and perseverance lighting our path. Help us to recognize the terrifying and thrilling journey of unexpected blessings whatever they may be. Steady us with faith and trust knowing that You are working behind the scenes on our behalf.  Be with Miss Vivian as she faces her treatment for cancer as well as my other Readers who are fighting that battle. I especially want to thank you for the Readers who walk alongside me and share their hearts. I pray for a young man who was sexually wooed by a teacher. Lift him up dear Jesus, clear his confusion, and heal his wounds. Give his family wisdom and grace as they, too, heal and reach out to their son and grandson. Be with our government leaders as they put together strategies to keep our land and it's people safe. These are perilous times yet each day there is something to be grateful for! I love the Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi:

Lord, make me an instrument of they peace.

Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.


O divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek

To be consoled as to console,
To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love;
For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
It is in dying to self that we are born to eternal life.


Amen, dear Jesus, it is so!!







2 comments:

  1. Miss Dottie, Your posts always touch my heart. Thanks for sharing with the world the reason for our hope.... Jesus. Rick Pinner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes....better to focus on strengths and gifts vs. failure. At times it seems like people make life more complicated than necessary. I am no one to judge as I have made some pretty bad decisions in my early 20's. I could focus on those, yet I choose to move on and celebrate today! God is generous and opportunity and blessings come when we hone our God given talents. I like to think that God has given me talents that benefit others. The gifts are not to bring personal wealth and happiness to myself, yet to bring that to others. In turn, God has given others talents that will benefit me. Perhaps, that is why if feels so good to give.

    Love YOU,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete