Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The end of a journey ~ Days 6 & 7

July 27, 2015
Monday


I got up early to say good-bye to Minnesota and head back to Texas. Was sort of bitter sweet.

I drove past the Indian Burial Mound that is close to my brother's farm. I left Graycie and walked to the top of the mound. What a perfect scenic spot of burial for those Indians who were really the first settlers of Pope County. I also drove down by the lake and photographed the city dock and Princess Minnewaska.

The fog was heavy over the lake and the sleepy little city quiet after the weekend's festivities. I felt like I was leaving a part of me on the shore of the lake I love so deeply. I will miss my family, friends, and homeland.















My friend, Priscilla, gave me an alternate route to take through Minneapolis and I was proud of myself for not getting lost and finding my way to I35 that would take me all the way to my home.


I grabbed my camera just before the rains
started. I wondered if I was going to be
driving into a tornado. The weather forecaster
on the radio was telling everyone to take cover.
Well, where in the world was I supposed to go??!!
I ran into some really nasty rainstorms all the way through Iowa. The wind and rain was pounding so hard I had a difficult time seeing the road and the cars beside and in front of me. Had some "white knuckle" moments and drove with my flashers on for miles and miles.

Once I got into Missouri the clouds and rain dissipated and I had smooth sailing to the motel. I certainly was ready to stop even though it meant that I would have a longer drive on Tuesday. My legs and feet started swelling on Sunday and were really aching. I took the cushions off the chairs and piled them on the bed so I could keep my lower legs and feet above my heart.

I was asleep before I knew it... Tomorrow would bring me home.

July 28, 2015
Tuesday


The Acorn Inn has been my stopping point for my trips to Minnesota and back to Texas for many years. Although the motel is getting old, it is clean, the beds comfy, and affords me a wonderful night's rest. Those cushions on the blue chairs came in handy for lifting my legs and feet!

The motel served a wonderful breakfast with plenty of fruit for the taking. I picked up a banana and a couple apples for my snacks for the day and off Graycie and I went ... southward.

I must say the second leg of my trip home was pretty uneventful. The sun was out and Graycie was keeping me cool ... I was alternating the Open Range Band's CD with classical country music (I had saved the stations on my trip to Minnesota so I could be sure to tune in to the same stations).


When I crossed the Oklahoma line into Texas, I cheered. The guy driving the truck next to Graycie looked at me like I was crazy. Oh well... My legs and feet were really starting to talk to me by the time I got to Dallas. I just kept praying that I would make it all the way home. Ever get charley horses and leg pain/swelling from sitting too long and driving? Yikes those last miles were torture!

What joy I felt when I saw the sigh that said Hillsboro 13 miles. I had faith that I could do this AND I did it. I made it to Minnesota and back without getting lost, frustrated, or accosted! My mind was absolute a melted bit of mush by the time I turned in the driveway but by that time I didn't care.

Michael and the Sensational Six met me at the door. Zoe was doing her "turn around dance," Kennedy was crying at the top of his lungs, Toby was running circles around me, the little Poms Harmony & Ruffy were barking and wagging their tails, and little Finn was busy following the lead of all his brothers and sisters. What a beautiful sight. Michael had done a good job of taking care  of the house, gardens, and dogren. He'd hired our lawn gardener to put mulch around the heart garden in the front of the house and trim the hedges. The home front was pretty inviting to a weary traveler!!


Father God, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for directing my steps to Minnesota and back to Texas. I am so grateful that my trip to my homeland was so fruitful ~ especially for the opportunity to visit with friends and family. I am fortunate to have deep friendships there as well as here in Texas. I pray that my light would shine wherever I go and that others would see You in me. So many commented on my "good hugs" ~ I smiled thinking of the hugs at the Open Range Church. Have had some mighty good teachers! My life is good and serenity fills my soul. I had plenty of time to pray those 36+ hours I spent in Graycie. It was nice to be able to talk out loud and mentally placing my hand on each person I prayed for. Now, it's time to rest my swollen legs that resemble sausages ~ The heat in Minnesota was awful on Sunday and the heat in Texas is blistering hot. The good news is that September is just around the corner and I will be appreciating the  mums that are starting to grow and bud in my gardens. Jesus, I pray for your provision and protection for other travelers on vacation. Let us all gather together in worship, sharing tales of travels and the people we've met to season our journeys of life. Amen, it is so!

Miss Dottie

PS  


"Its funny how, in this journey of life, even though we may begin at different times and places,
our paths cross with others so that we may share our love, compassion
observations, and hope. This is a design of God that I appreciate and cherish." 
~Steve Maraboli

Thank you Readers for allowing me to share my journey with you. If I can extend a piece of advice, it would be: Go for "it" whatever that "it" is for you. There are times when we must travel alone to get to where we want to go. Never allow fear to hold you back. Your only regret would be that you never tried so matter how badly you wanted to fulfill your dreams. If I can do it, YOU can do it!!


1 comment:

  1. How wonderful that you were able to make the trip to MN! I'm so proud of your adventurous spirit. From the sounds of your blogs, it was well worth the time, effort and money. I, too, love visiting places I've lived. We're heading up to MN for labor day weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing friends, family and visiting the MN State Fair.

    XXOO~
    Jane

    ReplyDelete