Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Trip Diary ~ Day 5

July 26, 2015
Sunday

"There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends.
I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature."
~Jane Austen



Lakeside
It's a beautiful day in Glenwood, MN ... the sun is out, there is a slight breeze. It's going to be a scorcher though ~ wish I had one of those fans that mist out water!

Elaine, Lynda, and I enjoyed another wonderful breakfast before Lynda headed out to spend some time with her family who were camping close to the lake. Gosh, I didn't realize how much I've missed her friendship. We vowed to keep in better touch...

Lynda's family camped
at Barsness Park by the lake

The local churches band together during the summer to have church in the City Park. Elaine and I grabbed our lawn chairs and enjoyed the peaceful, beautiful service. The singing group sang, In the Blood, and I wanted to pep them up a bit. It's one of my favorite songs that the Open Range Band sings and they get my toes tapping and my blood flowing!! I was wishing that I was rich enough to send the Open Range Band there to entertain and share their Cowboy Gospel Music!! Wouldn't that be something?!




Waterama has been going on for 60 years. My home was so close to downtown and many of my relatives from my mother's side of the family gathered at our home. My father's side of the family congregated at my Grandmother Maggie's home. It was a really big deal when I was a kid.

The 120 unit parade started at 1:30pm. We went downtown early to set up our lawn chairs and leave Elaine's car close by. Talk about fun! There were so many units that were beautiful, drum corps that could really perform, and those Shriner's driving little cars were fun to watch. A couple of the Viking cheerleaders made their appearance ... omg, they were absolutely gorgeous. By the end of the parade, Susan, Priscilla, Elaine, and I were dripping in sweat... We were thankful we'd had a place in the sun to watch the going's on.













Since this was my last day in Glenwood, I packed Graycie and headed out to my brother and sis in law's farm. It was so good to see them and take a tour around the farm. Wow! Nancy's garden is wonderful. Thanks for the wonderful peppers, Nancy, and for the survival bucket!



I had been in contact with my cousin, Gordy Hall, and we decided to meet at my other cousin Rollin's assisted living apartment in Starbuck. I hadn't seen Rollin, Gordy, and Carol for many, many years so it was extra special to catch up. Gordy and Carol spend their winters in South Texas. Hopefully, they can stop by on their way down.

As I tumbled into bed in the farmhouse, I thought about my trip and how full I felt connecting with my roots, friends, and family. I wish I'd had more time to connect with other cousins and friends but maybe next time...



Lord God, thank you for the past few days. What a gift to be able to share life with those I love and care about. I am tired but a good tired. I am thinking about my trip home and what time to leave in the morning. Priscilla gave me a different route to take through Minneapolis which I will give a go to avoid the traffic on 494 to 35. I am thinking about my family, dogren, and friends back in Texas. It will be good to see everyone again. I am so fortunate to have friends and family to "go see" and friends to go back to. I am praying for those on my prayer list and those on FB who have requested prayers. I am especially lifting up Ronda and Susan as they wait on test results. Dr Jesus I ask that you go before them and guide them every step of the way. For others suffering with family issues, loss of jobs, illnesses, cancer, depression, and loneliness, I ask Holy Spirit that you fill their hearts with hope and direction. My eyes are closing and morning will come before I know it... Amen, it is so!!

Miss Dottie

PS

"You can go through life and make new friends every year
~ every month practically ~ but there was never any
substitute for those friendships of childhood that survive
into adult years. Those are the ones in which we are
bound to one another with hoops of steel."
~Alexander McCall Smith

Ah yes ... it's been a wonderful trip. Time to head home to Texas...

No comments:

Post a Comment