Friday, June 30, 2017

Children learn what they live...

June 30, 2017
Friday

Dear Readers,

It's early morning and I should be outside working before the heat blankets N Central Texas. I have a routine ... one Friday I spray for bugs and the next, I spray for blooms! So, why am I not outside?

I was scrolling through Facebook in the wee hours of the morning and I read an obituary of a young woman who was bullied. All of a sudden, I had this string of thoughts moving through my brain at warp speed and the words, "WELL, WHY NOT BULLY ~ THIS IS THE WAY OF THE WORLD TODAY!" The Lord has this way of prompting me when He wants to use me as his voice...

I am sure that most of you have read the poem written by Dorothy Law Nolte, Ph.D., Children Learn What They Live. If not, here it is...

If children live with criticism, they learn to condemn.
If children live with hostility, they learn to fight.
If children live with fear, they learn to be apprehensive.
If children live with pity, they learn to feel sorry for themselves.
If children live with ridicule, they learn to feel shy.
If children live with jealousy, they learn to feel envy.
If children live with shame, they learn to feel guilty.
If children live with encouragement, they learn confidence.
If children live with tolerance, they learn patience.
If children live with praise, they learn appreciation.
If children live with approval, they learn to like themselves.
If children live with recognition, they learn it is good to have a goal.
If children live with sharing, they learn generosity.
If children live with honesty, they learn truthfulness.
If children live with fairness, they learn justice.
If children live with kindness and consideration, they learn respect.
If children live with security, they learn to have faith in themselves and in those about them.
If children live with friendliness, they learn the world is a nice place in which to live.

All this being said, what are our children learning in 2017? Who are their heroes, what do they watch on TV, and what do they see and hear at home? I'll tell you what.. They watch adult men and women be disrespectful to each other and others. They see a comedian hold up a bloody head resembling our President and laugh. They witness rioters burning and maiming because they didn't get a desired outcome. The law has become up for negotiation and the pulling together of a nation a travesty. They witness selfishness, grandiosity, moral depravity, and cultural dissension. They witness an intolerance for those who have differing beliefs and create havoc in areas where they don't have the whole picture. They live in a selfish, "if it feels good do it" society where "me" is God. Old people are thought of as burdens and the unborn are wanted, or not. God is whatever we choose to make him (or her). The list goes on.


Let me tell you a story. When I was quite small, I went to stay at my Aunt Laura's home for the weekend. She and my cousin, Bette, took my other cousin, Sandy, and I to see a double feature at the local theatre. We saw African Queen (released 1951) and another cowboy and Indian feature, Apache Drums (also released 1951). That night, I relived the cowboy and Indian fight scene and was terrified. I screamed and was inconsolable. I still remember the blood and gore to this day. Now, if that affected me that much, just look at what our children witness on TV, the movies, and on the streets on a daily basis. You think that hasn't been stamped on their minds?

In just a few days we will be celebrating Independence Day. We are blessed to live in one of the greatest nations ever to exist. For those who think other countries do "it" better or have "it" better, I think they should follow their hearts and go live there. I think they would find that "it" has limitations and other it's" wouldn't be to their liking. Our President was elected to do a job. Why not support him and give him a chance to fulfill his campaign promises? If he doesn't do a good job then elect someone else in 4 years. Too simple? Maybe, but isn't that what we should be teaching our children?

Children do learn what they live so adults, listen up. Be the example in your homes modeling respect for those in authority and others; fairness; kindness; listening to understand those you disagree with; and, most of all, give your children roots that run so deep that when they are bullied they are able withstand the storm. No one is perfect but we can start somewhere. We can speak well of others and find something to join hands about. Let the change in our country begin with us as individuals.

Father in Heaven, my heart is burdened for our children who are being bombarded by the unrest about them. Forgive us as adults for the poor examples we have been fostering their behavior of meanness to those who don't look, act, or believe as we think they should. As your children, Lord, I ask that you grant us an extra measure of wisdom. Help us to think before we speak, research before we take what is said on TV or from politicians as truth, and turn to You once again as a nation. Your ways are those of love, kindness, compassion, understanding, and respect. Amen

Leaving you in the arms of my Lord who comforts and enlightens in His ways.
Miss Dottie

PS  The solution to adult problems tomorrow depends on large measure upon how our children grow up today. Margaret Mead

No comments:

Post a Comment