Monday, June 20, 2011

In the Heat of the Day!


The gardens take shape at the little casa!
Good Evening, Readers!  I'm outside in the lower garden doing my blog ... aren't lap top computers great?  Michael brought me two turquoise Adirondack chairs this past weekend.  I am thoroughly enjoying my time outdoors writing, reading, having that first cup of coffee, and listening to the sound of the fountain.  Sunday it was 111 degrees here.  Now, that's hot!  To top it off, we also had wind gusts of 20+ miles an hour.  To go from the car into the store felt like walking against a blow dryer.  We are supposed to get some rain mid week.  I sure hope so.  I'd like a break from watering my plants!

My new chair is sooo comfy!
I am so grateful that the little casa has central air conditioning.  When we remodeled the house, we put in extra insulation.  I can now set the temperature at 80 and turn on the ceiling fans and it's very comfortable.  My day starts about 6am outdoors ... around noon I am ready to go inside and tackle my projects.  It's not unusual though for me to be outside again around 7 pm.  This weekend, I got more plants to work into my lower garden..  I've decided that I need to do the stone work even if it takes me the rest of the summer.  My goal is to finish the lower garden by the end of July.  Since I am down here most of the time, I am thinking that Michael needs to move my wicker patio furniture down here.  There is so much to do outside ... it's almost overwhelming!  Nothing had been done inside or outside with the house in many a year. 

I went to church this morning with Mom S.  She loves to get all dolled up for Monday morning services at the nursing home.  Her long time friend, Doris joined us and we sat in our usual places.  Sometimes they have a preacher but often times it's just someone who gives an hour long devotional.  Mom wanted me to have lunch with her but I took a rain check.  Being a caregiver certainly has it's challenges.  The nurse told Mom that she could go without her oxygen to the activities at the centre and Mom took that to mean that she didn't need her oxygen any longer.  She almost threw a temper tantrum when I asked her to put the oxygen back on.  Michael called the nurse and asked her to take her oxygen levels and yes they were in the 80's...  He was able to lay down the law in a way that she agreed to keep the oxygen on.  She pouted for awhile but hopefully, she will abide by the rules!

In the heat of the day ... my Fibromyalgia rears it's ugly head.  My rheumatologist tells me that with each surgery and trauma the fibro often gets worse.  I think I agree with him.  I have days that I feel really good and some when I feel like every inch of my body has been beaten with a baseball bat.  The heat mid day seems to take the sap out of my being.  I am not a nap person but have found myself barely able to keep my eyes open.  My friend, Beverly, has given me a British mystery to read and I haven't been able to make it past page 1.

Beverly 6/20/2011
 In the heat of the day ...  I enjoy a cool drink and conversation with my new friend, Beverly.  She has inspired me to start being more fashionable in my dress and appearance.  Left to my own devices, I prefer clothes that are loose and comfortable.  I've never been a clothes person and shopping for them has always been a chore.  A couple weeks ago, we went shopping and I tried on some things I would normally pass by.  I purchased a full length mirror and am putting forth the effort to get up, dress up, put my make-up on and do my hair.  Beverly is tall and always looks so put together ... she's been good for me!  She's also a naturalist gardener and an amazing cook ... she keeps me learning and growing!!

Dottie's den...
 In the heat of the day ... I enjoy teaching Beverly about staging her house and interior design.  She says that I have encouraged her to be more mindful about "what best goes where."  She says I take homemaking to a higher level than she is used to.  We have different interests and talents and have become better people for having known each other!

In the heat of the day ... I like to continue in my Daily Walk Bible readings.  There's something about reading the word of God (often times out loud) that centers me and gives me a peace.  Funny...I don't fall asleep when I am focused on the passages before me.  I am now into Proverbs ... wisdom at it's best 

In the heat of the day ... I like to wool gather.  I always have a project going and it's very difficult for me to sit still for very long.  On the days that my body tells me "no" I can think about the good days and what I am going to accomplish.  It helps me to focus on the positive and what I can do rather than on the negative and what I can't do.  No day comes and goes without being fruitful!!

Sometimes I hear people say, "I'm bored."  I even say that myself sometimes when I am having to rest.  To get myself out of "myself," I concentrate on what I can do for others.  I can write a card or two while I am couch bound ... I can grab my lap top and write a blog ... I can concentrate on doing something for someone else and, guess what?  My boredom quickly goes away.  No one can take my smile ... my heart ... my love of my fellow man.

The mosquitos, ants and chiggers are out and it's time for me to go indoors and call it a day.  What do you do in the heat of the day?  We can all do something ... the heat of Summer is similar to the cold of Winter ... it's a time when things slow down and we have to find something out of the ordinary to keep us busy.  I pray that you will find your time filled with fruitfulness.

May your days of Summer be filled with joy and fruitfulness!  Always remember you are loved and prayed for ... YA YOU!!


I'll be here tomorrow ... same time!!



 







   










      

1 comment:

  1. I love that you and your new friend, Beverly, inspire each other. I have always loved clothes as well. My first 'real' job was at Shoes 'n Bags. You would come in every so often when you picked me up from work and purchase a pair of heels. You never had a packed closet of clothes. In fact, it wasn't uncommon for your husband to call an outfit of yours, Monday dress, Tuesday dress, etc., because you wore them often. I think my husband would relish this quality as I have a love of clothes. This trickles down to my kids as I love the sparkly things. Katrina has the tutu skirts and we always do her hair in a fancy way. Madison...well, we just went to Target to buy 30 more hangers to handle the new clothes she has gotten over the summer. She went on a mission trip to an Indian reservation and she was awe struck that people wore the same clothes everyday of the week. We are blessed. As the air-condition hums, dishwasher and washer/dryer whirl, refrigerator/freezer hold food, and clothes house fashionable apparel....our hearts/minds should look to God and thank him.

    As always, thanks for a thought provoking blog!
    XXOO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete