Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Beginning of Miss Dottie's Casita


March 12, 2012

I've always wanted to create a room that was totally me from stem to stern.  When Michael and I decided to retire to his boyhood home, we began a renovation that took the little casa down to the studs.  It was lovingly restored over a year plus period of time resulting in a little house that sparkled.  It was frustrating at times especially getting the kitchen installed and who can forget the flood that resulted in having to redo what had already been done.  Michael and I shopped for each piece of the puzzle resulting in the little casa being a combination of our tastes.

The little casa is quite a gem and I know we will be comfortable here.  So, that being said, what's the problem??  Well, we have very limited storage space and Michael and I run into each other.  We had thought about purchasing a bigger home but just the thought of moving away from what we had so carefully restored gave us nightmares.  A few weeks ago, I walked out into the backyard and took a survey of what we had to work with.

Dad S had a storm shelter built.  The twelve inch thick walls make it a perfect place for keeping things like Christmas decorations at an even temperature.  Without breaking the bank, we could seal and paint the ceiling, walls, and floor to give us a large storage area.  (We made a call to Lupe and within a few days, he and his right hand man were hard at work cleaning and painting.  It looks fabulous and will welcome our storage cabinets, file cabinet, and tubs of holiday decorations.)  Ka-ching!!  Storage!!

There is a metal storage building behind the garage that I cleaned out some months ago.  It is filled to the brim right now but once the Christmas tubs are moved to the storm shelter there will be room for Michael's tools and garden equipment.  Ka-ching!!  Storage!


I sat on the roof of the storm shelter surveying the garage.  Hmmmm, I wondered...  Could we?  Would we?  How much would it cost to renovate a long garage??  We made another call to our contractor, Lupe.  Lupe came out and we used old croquet mallets to outline a walk-in closet, bathroom ... a perfect casita.  We still have some tweaking to do but plans are underway to start construction mid-March.  Lupe and his crew do amazing work and his pricing is reasonable.  I hope we will be able to do what I envision.  If not, we will change horses.  Nothing is set in stone.  Right now, all I know for sure is that, he will put in a new door with nine panes of glass, two windows with window boxes below...

We've all heard about the Man Cave.  If you watch much HGTV you hear the term quite often.  It's a place where men can gather without worrying about spilling, being too loud ... a place of relaxation and fun just for guys.  Well, I thought about moi.  It's been a long time since I had a room dedicated to my needs, wants, and desires.  I'm very much a people person who enjoys some time of solitude and reflection.  Every decorating test I take point me in the direction of romance ... candles, books ... all things pretty.  I dunno, something stirred inside me ... why not build a Miss Dottie's Casita??!!  The more I thought about it, the more excited I got.  It was okay for me to be selfish this one time.  Selfish?  I'm not sure if that's the case ... maybe just the fulfillment of a dream. 

I stood at the entrance to the garage this morning looking at the mess before me.  I realized that once the tool shop is cleaned out and the boxes are put into the storm shelter, it is a blank slate waiting for renovation.  Lupe dropped by earlier to discuss the bathroom.  Oh I wish I had room for a vintage claw foot tub!  What would be more romantic than a long soak in a bubble filled tub surrounded by candlelight, flowers, and soft music!!  Hmmmmm  Maybe I need to do a little more research on the Internet.

It will be interesting to blog the progress of Miss Dottie's Casita, don't you think so?  If I can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, I will have accomplished something!!

In the meantime, yesterday I spray painted all the wrought iron lawn furniture.  You know what?  Everything looks brand new.  I also spray painted a little table and chairs red.  Windex makes something to clean patios and furniture that I could attach to a hose that really worked.  While I was in McKinney getting ready to move, some big birds got ahold of the bag of bird seed at the little casa and (literally) threw a party.  They had fun and stuffed themselves ... I got clean up duty!!  My cigar store indian got cemented in a galvanized pail and no longer has to lean against the wall.  Yea!  He's happy ... I'm happy!  Lupe told me that if the indian came up missing it was because, Wimowee made the trip over to Line Street.  I told him ... "Over my dead body!!  Wimowee and I have been together a l-o-n-g time!"

Uh, oh ... I have been amiss in my Daily Walk Bible reading.  I can tell it, too.  There were a few days when I sat on a teeter-totter sometimes feeling cranky and at other times downright weepy.  I can tell that my life has been a bit off balance.  Too much continuous work.  Since I have a tendency to work nonstop on a project perfecting it and then re-perfecting it, I can wear myself out.  Talk about focus ... I can REALLY FOCUS to the point of ignoring everything else.  I've heard that's a curse of bright creative people.  He he!

My project for today has been to write scripture on the walls of Miss Dottie's Casita.  I definitely DO NOT want any form of evilness to reside anywhere within the walls.  I have decided to be picky about what goes into the building of the casita and will bless each step.  It's a good thing that Lupe understands what makes me tick or he'd be rolling his eyes!

I invite you to follow along as the casita is built.  I am on a strict budget (might as well say it ... it is a downright low budget undertaking!) so it will be interesting to see how it all pulls together.  In the meantime, Toby and I are off to plant some Coral Bells in my flower garden.  I asked Michael a couple hours ago if there wasn't a holiday coming up that he would need to buy me a gift for.  He looked a little puzzled and said, "Saint Patrick's Day?"  I smiled coyly ... "How 'bout some grass and border stones!"  Now he did roll his eyes and laughed, "Only you, only you would want grass for a gift."

Until tomorrow, let your troubles take a back seat to the possibilities found when things get tough and unimaginable.  Be safe ... you are loved and prayed for!

Miss Dottie






 

1 comment:

  1. Happy Days will be quickly approaching!

    ReplyDelete