Saturday, March 31, 2012

Day Trippin' With Miss Dottie

Saturday, March 31, 2012


I opened my eyes this morning and remembered that this was the day that my oldest grandson was playing his first game of baseball this season (go Zach!) AND that we were going to take a day trip to Calvert, Texas.  I had worked late into the evening yesterday in my gardens and needed to get up and see if I could get some polish on my chipped nails and do something with my out of control hair.  The dogren  were ready to get outside and have their breakfast and I welcomed my first cup of coffee.  Beverly and Don were picking us up at 10 bells so I had plenty of time to open my sleepy eyes and ease into the day thinking pleasant thoughts.


As usual, I prayed for my family ... that Zach would have a great day on the ball field, the Borne family would have a safe Spring Break Vacation to Montana skiing, and that Madison would do well in cheer competition in Orlando.  Once I got everyone covered in prayer, I welcomed my day with peace knowing that they were all in good hands (and I don't mean with Allstate!).


Visiting Calvert, Texas was definitely a pleasure as well as offering up a captivating place of history.  It is so sad ... so many small towns that were once flourishing hubs of activity have become almost ghost towns.  Thank goodness, there are a few folks who have rallied to renovate old buildings and bring back that small flicker of what once was...


Located on State Highway 6, Calvert offers that charm of being a historic town and, in particular, being the home of the business of Cocoamoda which makes premium truffles of many flavors and also sports an upscale restaurant.  My friend, Beverly, had read about the famous chocolatier, Kenneth J.J. Wilkerson, and was drooling for some of his specialties.  When she suggested that we make a trip there, I gave her a resounding high five!!


As we wound our way through the Texas highways, we were mesmerized by the Indian Paintbrush and Texas Bluebonnets covering the fields, ditches, and grassy areas.  Several times, I remarked to Beverly that it was like looking at the canvasses upon which Texas artists try to convey the beauty of Hill Country Springtime.


I'm not sure what I expected when I arrived in Calvert but it gave me sort of an eerie feeling to walk on the uneven brick sidewalks and look inside the many deserted buildings that were covered with vines.  A newspaper office had been abandoned -- as I looked past the cobwebs covering the windows, I saw an old printing press, desks, and papers strewn across the rotting wood floor.  I wondered what it was like to be in the hustle and bustle of the news when Calvert was a thriving cotton/railroad town.  I'd read that at one time, fifty-two stores and saloons lined the street ... bags of gold piling up on the gaming tables.  What a little city of contrasts ... on one side of the railroad tracks were beautiful mansions, schools, churches (a place of elegance where tea at three was the norm and Miss Manners reigned) -- on the other side of the tracks, life was rowdy and boisterous.  The train came through town while we were there and literally shook the buildings.  I guess those folks that lived there got used to the clamor of the trains, cotton gins and cowboys moving about and through town!!


We had lunch at Loretta's ... chicken fried chicken; southern style green beans; mashed potatoes and gravy; salad; and, of course, Texas toast.  I looked at Michael and didn't think the meal was quite up to the meals we've enjoyed at The Cotton Patch but the atmosphere was quaint and our server quite the country town gal!!  We had decided that we would park the car, eat, then walk up one side of the town then the other making a circle back to the car.


The Zamykal Kolache Bakery was next on the agenda.  What a wonderful experience.  Our baker entertained as well as allowed us tastings.  Oh goodness, the kolaches were simply heaven and we decided that they would make a great dessert.  I chose a cream cheese/cherry kolache to munch on and wished I had bought a dozen.  The baker sang a little ditty about kolaches and pigs in a blanket (I can't recall the Czech name for them) and we laughed.


Many of the antique stores have closed giving way to art studios and western type furniture shops.  I wandered about taking photos and enjoying my day in this quaint little town.  I was surprised that the town was almost deserted on a Saturday.  Prices on paintings and relics were quite high ... way higher than they would be closer to Dallas.  Outside one of the art studios was a make-shift patio.  I stood in front and it seemed to beckon me inside.  Once again, I wondered where the people were -- obviously someone liked to sit out there as there were signs that people had been occupying the seats.  The chiminea was filled with twigs and ready for a nice fire.  Hmmm...


The highlight of our trip was to visit with the chocolatier.  He was an English chap ... a trained and accomplished chef who had fallen in love with Calvert and was trying to bring it back to life again.  I asked him if I could take his picture and he readily agreed waving his arms and telling me about the pictures and chocolates enveloping this warm space.  As visitors came in, he welcomed them with hugs and smiles.  Beverly bought a box of his favorite truffles.  Why was I surprised when the chocolates were individually wrapped then placed in a beautiful box and tied with a ribbon.  First class wrapping for first class chocolates!!


The Eloia Theatre was once a grand place for "Eloise" to entertain the town folk, for plays, and later, movies, to be shown.  Now, it's being renovated in honor of Miss Eloise and will, once again, host musical venues to an eager audience.  Oh, if walls could talk...


It didn't take long for us to make our way through the shops and restaurants.  One place that had an Open sign took us back a little.  We wandered in and were met by a sweet little lady who informed us that this was her home and that she only had one piece of furniture for sale.  She made candles and jewelry to sell in the tiny space allotted to the front of the building.  As we looked towards the back of the building, we saw her husband and three dogs ... one gigantic Mastiff and two mutts (one big and one little).   Home to this couple was downtown Calvert!


The beauty of the abandoned buildings was haunting.  I wished I could wave my wand and be a little fly on the wall around the turn of the century just to experience the liveliness of this town for a few minutes.  We did find out that tea is still being served in the mansions and that folks still dress in their finery as they sip tea in china cups and bite off small bits of cookies.  Would you believe, they still hold manners classes in that little forgotten town??  Yep, it's true.

We are so fortunate to live in such an amazing country ... each city and town has pockets of treasures just waiting to be rediscovered by adventurers just like me.  I was thinking ... I don't want to be just a visitor on Earth ... I want to be a traveler ... an adventurer ready to uncover all there is to do and see.  Boredom?  What's that??  I wake up in the morning wondering what will unfold before me.  I am grateful for my eyes and ears ... I am grateful for my ability to breathe and walk ... I am grateful for friends and family who are my frosting on my cake of life!  Each place I've lived, I've encountered some pretty awesome people who have shared my gusto for each new day.

Day Trippin' Buddies:  Michael, Beverly, Don
I am so glad that you've shared my day with me.  We arrived home late afternoon to two doggies waiting at the back door.  They're used to being in and out all day so it was a long stay indoors for them.  We need to find a doggie sitter in the neighborhood who can come in when we are out for the day.  Just like watchful parents who enjoy time away from their charges, we too need days of fun.  Somehow, it makes coming home to them all the more special!!

Beverly and I are already planning our next day trip ... the Texas Rangers Museum and the Cameron Park Zoo are on the list.  Stay tuned!!

Until we chat again, I hope and pray that you are enjoying your own day trips.  You just never know what lies around the next corner ... might be a highway patrolman.  Don was going 66 on an off the main road highway -- who would think that the speed limit would be 60??!!  Must have been our senior charm as he let us go on our way with a simple ... "Y'all enjoy yourselves and watch your speed!" 


Oops!!

1 comment: