Sunday, April 15, 2012

Celebrate...Wear A Purple Hat!!

April 15, 2012

For those who know me well, I love the color purple ... not lilac, mauve, or that hint of purple in white ... real purple ... deep purple.  PURPLE!!  (And, red too, of course!)  In honor of women's history month, wear one of those wonderful, colorful hats with pride!

One of my favorite authors is Erma Bombeck who lost her fight with cancer in 1996.  I used to open her books and laugh and cry right along with her as she shared her stories of life.  My sister in law, Nancy, sent me an email with this poem that Erma had written when she found out she had cancer and was dying.  Thank you, Nancy, for reminding me about a poem I had pinned to the bulletin board at work to keep me focused on what is really important.

If I Had My Life to Live Over by Erma Bombeck

If I had my life to live over, I would have talked less and listened more.

I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained
and the sofa faded.

I would have eaten popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried much
less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.

I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his
youth.

I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day
because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.

I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in
storage.

I would have sat on the lawn with my children and not worried about grass
stains.

I would have cried and laughed less while watching television - and more
while watching life.

I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.

I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth
would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.

I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't
show  soil or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.

Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd  have cherished every
moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only
chance in life to assist God in a miracle.

When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "Later.
Now go get washed up for dinner."

There would have been more "I love you's" .. More "I'm sorrys" ...

But mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute... look at
it and really see it ... live it ... and never give it back.

I don't know about  you, but I'm not dead yet.  I don't worry so much about who doesn't like me, who has more, or who's doing what.  I do cherish the relationships that I have with those I love and who love me back.  For so many years, I struggled with being approved by others.  I feared abandonment ... I feared pissing someone off ... I feared opening my mouth when I was hurt.  I didn't matter.  You know what?  I got stepped on, taken advantage of, and talked about anyway.  Now?  I wear my purple hat proudly and am open to all emotions.  I tell myself right up front that if I don't stand for something, I stand for nothing.

When I was four, I dressed up, pushed my doll buggy in a parade and won a prize.  When I was six, I sang In My Sweet Little Alice Blue Gown, and was a princess.  When I was ten, I wowed an audience as Gretel and owned the stage.  When I was thirteen, I became confused and struggled with self and perfection.  I would withdraw into my own world pretending I was okay.  For many years I wondered why I was flawed and deserved so much pain.  I tried and tried ... the voices inside me raged telling me I was no good while my heart kept telling me that God loved me.  If you've ever struggled with the forces of good and evil, you know what I am talking about.

I was chatting with my daughter yesterday and she made the comment that I could be cold and when I was done, I was done.  I asked her to explain and she said, "Well, look at your marriages."  I became quiet...  My daughter and I are very close and I would consider her my advocate, valuing her opinion.  Was it true, could I be a cold person.  It truly bothered me and I spent a good long time in prayer asking God to reveal truth.  I needed to examine her words carefully because I don't want to be thought of as cold and unforgiving.  I prayed the words of Psalm 139:24:  "See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."

At age sixty-five, I am savoring who I am and what I am about.  I love life, laughter, and don't really worry about whether I am politically correct.  I will share my wisdom and abilities with those who walk with me on this road of life.

Yes, hand a little girl a purple hat and she will charm and entertain feeling like a princess ... hand a seasoned woman a purple hat and she will charm and entertain feeling like a grand lady ... a queen!!

I declare this wear a purple hat day!!  If you don't have one, imagine yourself in one and look into the mirror.  Maybe you could dab on a little purple eye shadow??  Life is too short not to enjoy all that purple brings ... a song to the soul!!

It was dark and rainy here this morning.  Now, it's sunny and the plants are feeling their oats with all the refreshing water that was showered upon them.  Guess I will head out and do some boxing up of garage sale left overs.

Miss Dottie says, "Take a risk ... stop worrying about what the rest of the world thinks.  Move to the tune of your own drum and celebrate your uniqueness.  On the flip side ... maybe it's time to take a sabbatical and find out what's truly on your heart and mind.  Ask the Lord to reveal your own flaws and make some amends.  Either way, have a wonderful 'Son'day!!

PS 139:14~~"I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.  Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well."      

 



1 comment:

  1. Teenage years are difficult, especially if you are dealt additional challenging circumstances. I experienced this and have seen my own daughter struggle. As much as we want to give our children perfect scenarios, we can't protect them from everything.

    That being said...(in response to what I said about you) It isn't bad to have a "shut-off valve". Knowing when to quit, alter your direction, change your friends, leave an abusive relationship, etc. isn't negative. Look at it as a positive. To remain in a pot of water that is gradually warming up to a boil is craziness. So, in a sense, I was complimenting your intuition, self-worth, and strength. Knowing when enough is enough is good.

    Love you!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete