Wednesday, July 4, 2012

An investment in an outcome!

July 3, 2012

Hammers are hammering ... paint brushes are swooshing ... claw foot tub going in...  I would say that the crew is hard at work early this morning!  I got up to take the dogren out and spied Lupe before 8am.  It has been rather exciting being on site watching the repurposing of the old garage into a casita.  It won't be long and I can start "decorating."  Ye Ha!!  I can't wait to show you the end result!!  Watch for the unveiling!!!!!

I decided I would "help" paint yesterday and, as luck would have it, I dropped a tray full of white paint on the floor.  Hey, it was just an accident!!  Benito was here to work in the bathroom and gave us a two hour window to get the baseboards painted and the final coat of paint around the claw foot tub.  Lupe had been out on a job and hadn't expected Benito until late yesterday.  Communication fellas!!  Anyway, the paint I dropped was in the closet and Michael and I could continue painting.  Actually, it was fun being a part of the repurposing project.  I am a hands on person anyway and have learned that the more I invest myself in a project or event, the more I appreciate the end result.

Come to think of it, our investment in anything often times results in appreciation.  To be given everything without an investment results in a feeling of entitlement.  What happens if we put in the work to achieve?  We develop a good work ethic, our brains and bodies stay in shape, our self esteem is raised, we are filled with satisfaction of a job well done, and, we want to improve.  What happens if we develop a feeling of entitlement?  We become people that think in terms of you owe me; that was yesterday what are you going to do for me today; the centering becomes on the self (I want what I want when I want it - how dare you disappoint me; and, we become people that live with our hands out.



I have lived with plenty and lived with nearly nothing.  The times I grew the most and my creative juices flowed was when I had to figure out a way.  I used to be on the speaker's forum for the (then named) Collin County Women's Shelter.  I had women say to me, "I can't get a job, I don't have the clothes to wear for an interview ... look at you, you don't understand."  I assured them that I did understand ... they could visit Goodwill or other charities to purchase clothes for next to nothing.  They could call the shelter for resources for clothing, help in the interviewing process, go to the library ... the list was endless for them to take advantage of.  They could remain victims or become victorious.  Being victorious would mean work ... hard work!  The question was, "How badly do you want to have a new life?"  Insanity is doing the same things over and over and expecting different results.  You can apply that to anything in life ... HOW BADLY DO YOU WANT SOMETHING???!!

From the time I could think for myself (which was quite early in life), I knew that I wanted a healthy, purpose-filled life.  Something deep inside me, rared it's head up when I experienced things that were dysfunctional and not so good.  The problem was that when I was a child, I thought like a child.  I didn't have the tools I needed to set good boundaries.  I learned to be quiet and stay out of the way ... I didn't rebel, I was a compliant.  The problem with that was that when I left home, the tools I had didn't fit the problems I encountered.  My compliance gave way to me being prey for smooth talking suitors.  I lost me for a period of time because I just flat out didn't know...

As parents and grandparents, I think it's our responsibility to encourage and edify our children and grandchildren and give them the tools they will need to move away from home and into adulthood.  No one can have a good fulfilling life without tools and respect for self and others.  My children learned that hard work afforded them educations, a strong ethic and moral compass, and compassion for others.  They've had their share of bumps in the road yet knew that they weren't alone ... they knew that the Lord was right beside them as their constant companion.  It is my belief that there is something good in everyone -- that although we are born with a sin nature, it can be overcome with faith in God, hard work, love, understanding, and grace. 

Last weekend, I spent time with my son and his family.  My grandsons are happy well-adjusted boys.  They are being raised with discipline, education (school/church), and love.  The boys are so different yet they are alike in their convictions.  They are exuberant and expressive yet well mannered and considerate.  They know that grandma ALWAYS carries a camera to record their activities and love to pose.  Each year we review the photos from the past moving forward and they hoot and holler at changes in themselves and the consistency of what they truly have passions for.  I am invested in them as a grandparent and their parents are invested in giving them a tool box full of wonderful tools. 

What are you investing in?  Where do you spend most of your time?  I take my thoughts captive examining them to see if they are going to give me a good return.  At sixty-five, I've been around the block a time or two and hopefully I've gained some wisdom!!

I am now reading Proverbs.  If you're looking for wisdom, give this book of the Bible a read.  There are times that I think I need to read one of the Psalms and one chapter of Proverbs every day ... it's a sure way to make an investment in a positive outcome!!

It's a beautiful day ... not so hot that I can't be outside.  Always remember that you are in my thoughts and prayers ... YA YOU!!

Miss Dottie

1 comment:

  1. Great blog!! There is so much truth in what you write. When I look back at my life, the times of struggle definitely shaped who I am today. I am blessed to have a family that loves me, a God that has stepped in when I needed him, and a spirit that doesn't stop.

    XXOO!!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete