Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Only live with what you love...

July 23, 2012

It's going to be another scorcher in North Central Texas today!  I am so grateful for air conditioning and breezes coming from the trees around us.  Temperatures topped 112 degrees yesterday.  Yikes!  That's unusual even for Texas!  From what I gather, other states are experiencing the same heat wave.  Fall will come soon ... my favorite time of the year!

The cottage is taking shape...
In the process of moving to the little casa last March and then working on the casita, I have learned some very valuable lessons.  The biggest one is:  only live with what you love.  As I have pared out and down, I have had to part with "things."  Seems rather odd, we spend our lives accumulating "things" then we spend the later part of our lives parting with "things."  If that is true, why do we accumulate in the first place?  Human nature, I guess.  We think what we collect is going to be of value to our loved ones but, in reality, is it?  I have some items that belonged to my great grandmother, Emma Jane; my grandmother, Belle; and, my mother, Olive.  What I wish I had was a written diary of their lives.  Who were they, really?  I wish my father would have written about the things that tormented him and I wish that my mother would have shared openly with me.  Emma Jane, a teacher, was a pioneer ... Belle a farmer's wife ... and, my mother was a daughter, aunt, mother, wife, Case Aide and a myriad of other things.  As I touch what belonged to them, I wonder...  Their genes run through me ... am I like them?

This chair has had many homes...
I am now working on the decor of the main area of the casita.  Things I thought would work didn't and things that I just knew wouldn't did.  The backdrop of the White Dove paint hasn't had to grow on me ... it is beautiful!  The soft green paint on the boards on the floor resonate serenity.  I love to walk barefoot and feel the imperfectness of the boards.  This morning, Toby and I laid on the sofa looking up at the ceiling.  There was so much to see ...  I thought, "if ceilings could only talk!"

I must admit I have been robbing some areas in the little casa to fill the casita.  I took the french chair in the office/guest room out to place beside the fireplace.  My friend, Melissa, had given me a crocheted lace tablecloth that I draped over it's back and arm.  Ah yes, good memories!  The painting above the fireplace - another reminder of her friendship.  I had Michael and Don go to the storage unit and retrieve the wing back chair that I've had for so many years.  At first glance, I thought it was too big but then, I thought, "this is my chair that I've loved to curl up in and read, it must stay."  My friend, Beverly, offered to buy the chair but, I don't know ... I just couldn't say, "Sold!"

My son used to say, "If Mom has a ledge, a corner, or a table, she will decorate it."  That WAS true.  Now, I am finding that I like simple without clutter.  My goal has been to have nothing under the beds and some drawers without anything in them!  I brought over a 4 drawer chest from storage yesterday to replace the small stand I took out to the casita to put in the bathroom.  Once I did that I decided to deep clean, touch up paint, and pare out things in the guest room/office.  I must admit, it felt so good!

It may take me awhile to finish decorating the main room of the cottage.  It's just too hot to go over to the storage unit and go though boxes.  I am hoping that we will have some cooler days before too long.  Until then, I won't worry about the empty spaces ... I only live with what I love!

As you walk through your home, do you smile ... remembering fondly?  Or, do you sigh wishing that you had the heart to get rid of stuff that is just taking up space??  When it comes right down to it, our homes and spaces are reflections of who we are ... as individuals and as families.

This is my motto for today:  Make your space beautiful, fun, and full of LOVE!!!!  Always put something totally unexpected in a place that can make you smile...  Joy can be found in the smallest of things!!  (Or, in my case, sometimes large -- my wooden indian Wimowee stands pretty tall - lol!)

God bless you real good this day and always ... your friend, Miss Dottie, is sending you love and prayers!

My pearls of wisdom for today...

Family - For Better or Worse ... let's:
always be honest,
count our blessings,
bear each other's burdens,
forgive and forget,
be kind and tender hearted,
comfort one another,
keep our promises,
be supportive of one another,
be true to each other,
look after each other,
treat each other like you treat friends,
But, most important, LOVE ONE ANOTHER
remembering the one who first loved us warts, bumps, and all!!

1 comment:

  1. Some things are too precious to let go. I am glad you are paring down yet able to decorate with precious, meaningful items. (vs. buying stuff at Hobby Lobby to fill in the space).... I agree with you that less is more. It frees up time to do the fun stuff!

    XXOO~
    Jane

    ReplyDelete