Friday, December 14, 2012

It's a Scottie Kind of Christmas!

Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
~~Luke 2:14 (KJV)

December 14, 2012


Merry Christmas and a Good Morning, Readers!  Countdown continues at Seidler house to Christmas.  I absolutely love this time of year.

I opened my eyes this morning and smiled.  Not only was it my favorite day of the week, it was THE DAY we were going north to take in the Gift of Christmas pageant at Prestonwood Church in Plano.  The church seats 7,000 and the performance (as well as all performances) is sold out.  There will be live camels, peacocks, singing voices of 1,200 and on and on.  Do you see why I am not just excited but ecstatic?!!

Some years ago, I saw a man walking down Frankfort Road in Dallas leading a black dog in a plaid jacket.  I just had to pull over and ask him what kind of dog it was.  The dog's name was Angus and he was a handsome Scottish Terrier.  Every now and then I thought about how beautiful the Scottie was and wondered about being a Scottie owner.

I don't remember talking much about my love of the Scottie but in August 2004, Michael gave me a beautiful Scottie puppy as an anniversary gift.  I was sooo excited as we pulled up to the door of the breeder's home.  There, in the kitchen, were 7 Scottie puppies!  They had mom and dad on site and the puppies had been socialized well with adults as well as children.  I knew I wanted a female and had the pick of Fiona or Bonnie.  Fiona became our puppy and we named her Sadie.

In a day's time, we were hooked on our Scottie. We looked for plaid coats, collars and leashes.  Sadie made Christmas that year extra special ~~ she was funny, playful, and smart. She loved the tree and spent hours laying under the lights. In turn, we oohed and aahed over her spoiling her rotten.

We didn't know much about the Scottie and soon found out that the Scottish Terrier is a stubborn breed with a mind of it's own.  As she has grown older, she has become quite bold, confident, and dignified.  She loves to be groomed and her heads up, tails up attitude has made her a favorite with groomers.  Petsmart gives out report cards ... hers always has stars and complements.  We always ask if the groomer knows how to groom a Scottish Terrier because when Sadie get a bad "do," she hangs her head and hides for days.

Friendly and playful as a puppy, Sadie matured into a bold, jaunty, yet steady and dignified adult ~~ she can be quite crusty and independent at times.  One thing about Sadie ... we know NOT to have her off leash.  If a squirrel, rabbit, bird, cat, or another dog catches her eye, she is off to the races paying no mind to where she is going.

As with many Scottie owners, we have made it a tradition to purchase a Scottie Christmas ornament each year.  Some of my favorites are made by artist Jim Shore.  My winter pajamas have Scotties on them and I'm always on the lookout for a Scottie sweater!

As Christmas approaches, I am so grateful for my precious Sadie.  She makes my life merry and bright!  If you are a pet lover, you know exactly what I mean!!

Always remember you are loved and prayed for ... YA YOU!!

Miss Dottie

PS  Francis G. Lloyd: “All dogs are good; any terrier is better; a Scottie is best.




















1 comment:

  1. Sadie is lucky to have you and Michael as 'parents'. She is beautiful inside and out--it's wonderful that you have accepted her character and revel in her personality. I adore the Scottie Christmas ornaments!

    XXOO~
    Jane

    ReplyDelete