Monday, December 10, 2012

Silent Night...

"Be still, and know that I am God! I will be honored by every nation. I will be honored throughout the world."~~Psalm 46:10

December 10, 2012

The night air is crisp and downright cold.  The North Wind has been whipping through all day making being outside next to miserable.  I went out to mail a couple boxes early afternoon and to pick up some net lights for the bushes outside the cottage.  Until I get my packages off to family, I feel pretty unsettled ... they are important to me and I want them to know I am thinking of them as they open gifts Christmas morning.  One more box to go out tomorrow and I can heave a sigh of relief.

Last night I spent some time in the cottage ... I read, prayed, and sang along to the Christmas music playing on the Bose.  I lit a fire and cuddled up with Toby ... Sadie curled up close to the fire on her blanket.  It was so peaceful.  Just before I went to bed, I shut off the music, lights, and peered out the french doors at the lighted tree just outside in the garden.  For a moment in time, everything was so ... still.  All of a sudden, in rapid fire, my mind raced through Christmas's of the past 65 years...  Yet, even with the rapid fire, I was so ... still.  I had this sense of well-being, of inner joy, and the knowledge that in each of those 65 Christmas's, Jesus was a big part of my life.  I've never not known Him.  What's even better is that Jesus has always known me!!

There are times when I must retreat into my shell of solitude.  Some years ago, I had the privilege of attending a retreat called A Walk to Emmaus.  We had blocks of time of complete silence responding to bells much like monks do.  At first, it was tough not opening my mouth ... then, I began to understand...  It is in stillness that we come before the Lord with our hearts and minds open ... the time where we are most vulnerable and are able to hear when God speaks to us.  It was then that I asked the Lord to put me on his front line.  I put on the full armor of God and have never regretted my decision.  Shortly after my walk, I became a Stephens Minister ... then, went on to serve on the first Board of Directors to open a women's shelter in Collin County, Texas.  My purpose has been to come alongside others ... to comfort ... to encourage ... to bless...  It all started with stillness...

This Christmas I pray you will set aside some time to be still and know that God IS God.  He is the reason for the season ...

Always remember you are loved and prayed for ... YA YOU!!

Miss Dottie

PS  “And when we give each other Christmas gifts in His name, let us remember that He has given us the sun and the moon and the stars, and the earth with its forests and mountains and oceans--and all that lives and move upon them. He has given us all green things and everything that blossoms and bears fruit and all that we quarrel about and all that we have misused--and to save us from our foolishness, from all our sins, He came down to earth and gave us Himself.”~~Sigrid Undset

PSS  Recognize Hamilton Elf?  He makes me smile!!











1 comment:

  1. Quietness and stillness are rare occurrences in our household--so these moments are cherished by my husband and me. Although we would not trade our kids for all the tea in China, we do relish solitude. A few moments of downtime renew the spirit, body, and mind. Your blog makes me stop and think of the importance of quietude. I think I shall put this on my Christmas list. he! he!

    Love you~
    Jane

    ReplyDelete