Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Sometimes...

I have often thought what a melancholy world this would be without children, and what an inhuman world without the aged.
~Samuel Taylor Colerige

August 19, 2013


Dear Readers,

I am sitting in the cottage this Monday morning gazing out the french doors. The birds are enjoying their breakfast of seeds, nuts, and fruits ~ I especially love the cardinals! A rather large squirrel is sitting on the back of the bench under the big tree. I have been holding Harmony wishing that she was whole and didn't have a bad heart. My grandsons went home late Saturday leaving a big hole that had been filled with their exuberant joy and activity. Today is Michael's and my 10th anniversary. My granddaughter was in a car accident this morning ~ not her fault, she's ok, boy at fault will fix her car. Lots of things for me to ponder...

Sometimes, I have this overwhelming sadness inside of me that permeates my entire being. It comes at times when life just plain hurts and steals my peace. I am usually a very optimistic, upbeat, and joyful person so I'm glad those times don't come often or last very long. I read some scripture this morning and even that didn't break up the shroud of darkness.  Tears have rolled down my cheeks and I'm not sure I know even why. Maybe, I am just being human and experiencing one of those days when I am sensing life in all its reality ... the wonderful, the good, the bad, the ugly.

The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. ~Psalm 34:18

Sometimes, I wish I could travel to a cabin in the woods, next to a beautiful lake. I would walk along the shore with my dogren at my side appreciating the beauty of nature. My heart always goes back to dreams of a simple life. My little cottage will need to do for now.

Sometimes, I wish family was closer and we could experience the fun I had growing up with lots of relatives close by. There is something comforting about growing older and being able to watch the young ones as they are beginning their lives and experiencing everything for the first time. While my grandsons were here, I basked in the sunshine of their joyful spirits. They are almost 10 and 7 ... everything is an adventure to them which also fuels my adventurous bent. Spending time with them does make me smile!!

Cameron Park Zoo
Zachary & Nicholas
"Look Grandma, the snake ate us!"


Sometimes, I look around me and wonder how I got here. Oh yes, choices got me here. Some good choices, some not so good choices. The old adage, "Life is about choices," is true isn't it...  The road of life has so many twists and turns. Today I am drawn to reread HIND'S FEET ON HIGH PLACES. If you haven't read it, please put it on your list of must reads. It's a classic, chock full of wonderful messages. As children we don't always have opportunities to make good choices ~ often they are made for us. Then, we grow up and things should be different. Sometimes we get stuck.

“O Shepherd. You said you would make my feet like hinds' feet and set me upon High Places".


"Well", he answered "the only way to develop hinds' feet is to go by the paths which the hinds use.”
~Hannah Hurnard, Hind's Feet on High Places


Sometimes, I just need to have a day that involves meditation, prayer, and praise. On days when all of my emotions are running around like the rabbits in my backyard, I need to remember that if all I have is God, then, that is enough.

Sometimes, I wonder if you, too, have days when you feel like there is a shroud of darkness wrapped around you and it's difficult to breathe. Times when you feel lifeless, depleted of energy, and your positive outlook is a bit off. To say "no" wouldn't be quite honest, would it...

There is one thing for sure, you can always count on ~~ me praying for you, and sending love your way!!

Miss Dottie

PS  The soul would have no rainbow had the eyes no tears. ~John Vance Cheney












1 comment:

  1. I wish we lived closer to you!! I'd come over with the girls and brighten your day. You have always liked some solitude, yet really get energized around positive people. Make sure to surround yourself with happy, caring friends and family.

    I know what you mean about when loved ones leave. Every time you leave Florida an immense amount of positive energy goes with you. I always feel melancholy after you depart.

    Here's to the next time we get to see each other!
    Love ya~
    Jane

    ReplyDelete