Thursday, August 4, 2011

A Moment In Time Remembering...

Good Afternoon Readers from the Land of Ten Thousand Lakes!  There was a wicked storm that passed through Pope County Minnesota last Monday leaving my brother's farm without electricity and water for three days.  Talk about going back to pioneer days!  There's so much we take for granted!  I am washing clothes today and saying a prayer of thanks for a working washer and dryer!!


Elaine & I
Last weekend, I spent a good deal of time with some friends that I grew up with (kindergarten through college).  Some of us haven't been in contact for many many years yet it was like we were never apart.  We have vowed to keep in touch and, you know, I think we will.  We are able to open ourselves up, sharing the deepest parts of our lives without judgement ... life is to be lived and all of us have certainly done that.  My roots run deep and for that, I am so very grateful!!  One of my dear friends, Elaine, is living in a condo that was developed in the elementary school we attended.  As I opened the door to the school, I remembered which rooms I entered as a grade school student.  Same beautiful granite floors ... tall windows...  Ah yes...

My trip "Up North" has been a good one.  I want to hug my brother and sister in law every day ... they've been so welcoming.  Nancy has renewed my love of cross stitch and we watch Primeval each evening.  I will miss them sooo much when I leave.  We are so different ... yet, it is in our differences that we are enriched!

My father was born in the house above.
 It was the home of my
grandmother's sister, Bessie Kaldahl 
I mentioned in a previous blog about going to the Historical society to research my father's side of the family ... the Pedersons and the Torgusons.  I was so proud to dig into their lives and I felt that warmness of knowing why my heart is the way it is...




The following was written in the Glenwood Herald on February 12, 1904:

"Popular Young People of Glenwood Joined in Bonds of Holy Wedlock

At the Lutheran Church on last Monday afternoon, Rev. Lee solemnized the marriage of Carl Pederson and Miss Maggie Torguson.  The bride was attired in a dress of cream silk with the usual ornaments.  The groom wore the conventional black, as did also his attendants -- Ole Torguson, Bert Brosvig and Henry Aslagson.  The bridesmaids Alma Pederson, Emma Hagen and Tina Torguson were all dressed in white with the customary floral ornaments.

A wedding reception was given in the evening at the town hall to which were invited a large number of the relatives and friends of the contracting parties.  Although the evening was bitterly cold, no great difficulty was experienced in the matter of keeping comfortable when Martin Edberg, Anton Bomsaas and Miss Alice Thompson had their respective musical instruments properly thawed out, tuned and  put in operation.

Truly, this three-piece orchestra can furnish most excellent music and everybody was kept busy at dancing until after the mid-night hour with the exception of the time taken up in serving a substantial lunch with hot coffee accompaniment.  This happy young twain are members of two of the oldest and most popular families of this immediate vicinity -- the groom being the second oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Anton Pederson of Minnewaska and the bride, the fourth daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Knut Torguson of Glenwood Township.  Both these young people are held in the highest esteem by their many friends as was plainly evident by the large array of handsome wedding presents bestowed upon the bride.

It is expected that Mr. Pederson will have charge of his father's handsome farm, where they will make their home at least for a time if not permanently.

That their married life may be complete with blessings is the warmest hope of their multitude of friends."   

When I get back to Texas, I'm going to see if I can clean up some of the photos of my grandparents wedding.  Oh gosh, my grandfather was a handsome, dark haired gentleman and my grandmother beautiful with lighter hair.  They shared their Norwegian Lutheran faith and a love that lasted through the ups and downs of their lifetime together.

Carl Pederson & his children
Helen, Lorna, Ernest
With each article I read about my great grandparents, grandparents, and entire family, I understood why my grandmother would tell her grandchildren that our name was an important one.  The obituary of my grandfather Carl stated that "his life was an example of goodness and kindness to friends and family.  ...he did his part as a citizen and community builder and the memory of his life and good deeds will be a benediction in the years to come."  Articles spoke of my family as being church going and of strong faith.  This legacy became my foundation and I have been blessed!

I think it's important to know where we come from and the "stuff" we are made of.  In all the craziness in my life, deep down inside I knew that I wasn't junk.  Sometimes we have to go deeper than just looking at our own lives.  If we dig deeper and find stuff that isn't so good ... well then, it's time to clean up our lives and start making something of ourselves that our children and grandchildren can be proud of!  When we turn eighteen, we are responsible for our own choices and the consequences that go along with them.

I was reading in my Daily Walk Bible today and I thought about my life ... when I stumbled and fell because of wrong choices or actions in which direction was I tempted to point the finger of blame?  Outward at others? Upward at God? Inward at myself?  I often times stood before a mirror as I talked to God about being accountable for my actions.  It reminded me that the responsibility lies, not with my parents or my peers but WITH ME!!  We are not responsible for someone else's life ... just our own.  When we get to Heaven, Jesus will ask me about what kind of person I was ... the focus??  Just me!!


Lake Minnewaska from
Mount Lookout
It is within my faith that I find contentment, strength, protection and provision.  Months ago I knew I needed to make this journey to Minnesota.  With each snag, I continued making plans.  Did I have some knots in my tummy when I turned the key in Lily?  You bet ... I prayed that the Lord would watch over us and He did.  When I rounded the hill and looked at the beauty of the land of my roots, I had tears in my eyes.  Each day that passes, I find myself more and more at peace.
  
How much do you know about your roots?  Are you able to search honestly or are you embarrassed?  With each rock I have turned over, I have found my heritage to be "what it is."  I laughed because in one of the letters my mother received from her sister, she relayed the message that one of our ancestors came over on the Mayflower and was possibly the first man hung on American soil!

May you be blessed this day and may you discover that your roots run deep!  From the looks of these skis on display in Glenwood, it looks like my Great Grandfather Knut Torguson was quite a athlete!!  Let's chat tomorrow!!   







    









1 comment:

  1. I love reading about our heritage. The pictures and stories are fantastic. I'll take the good, the bad, and the ugly. That is what life is....we all need to be more forgiving and less judgmental. You are having so much fun exploring and researching. Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete