Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The Artist

October 30, 2013

The rain ~ Wednesday
Dear Readers,

It's raining, it's pouring.  The sound of the pitter pat of raindrops on the roof of the cottage is so soothing.  We are supposed to get close to 4 inches of rain which my gardens will love.  The colors are so vibrant this season.  As a gardener I am assessing plans for next Spring.  It's really been trial and error to see what grows and what poops out. Most of my planting has been done ~ now, the fun part is watching everything mature and grow.

I have been trying so hard to allow my back and neck to rest the past couple weeks. The problem is that I am a busy bee and love to stay active.  I start physical therapy this Thursday and will have an Epidural Spinal Injection on Friday.  Trying to avoid another back surgery so am thinking good thoughts.  My biggest hurdle is that I get bored just sitting for any length of time.

The cottage ~ 10/30/2013
A wonderful blank slate!
When I am unable to be active, my mind goes a mile a minute thinking of things to create when I am feeling better. I just love making my space unique and giving them that "come on over and enjoy the warmth!" touch.  I've had so many postings on Facebook about Christmas and it's gotten me in the mode of what I want to do for decorating this year. I was at Dillard's last week and they had their annual Southern Living Cookbook out ~ lots of great recipes and decorating ideas.

I am an artist.  Give me a blank slate of any kind and I have this passion to make it beautiful.  My cousin Karolyn said that we have the Pederson gene that wants to keep on working until something is "pretty." My grandmother, Maggie, and her daughters (and, my dad, too) had this wonderful knack of artistry.  I see this gene in me, my children, and grandchildren.  We are all passionate people.  Get us together and there is no lack of energy!!

Fall Tree ~ 2013
To understand the artist in me means accepting that I move to the sway of color and the energy generated by visions.  My Fall Tree becomes a Christmas Tree by adding a few wintry touches and each year I create my own wonderlands depending on the season. My introverted nature is released into extroverted expression.

When I was a small child, I spent hours playing with my dolls, paper dolls, and creating homes out of shoe boxes.  My cousin and I could get lost in time barely taking a moment to eat as we spent our days developing story lines for our paper dolls.  As an adult, I still lose track of time when I am bringing my visions forward into the present.

From Fall to Christmas
with just a few additional touches!
Yesterday I mentioned my dreams for Christmas on Facebook and got some encouraging comments as well as one that said, "Hey, let's get Halloween past us first.  Maybe even Thanksgiving?"  I said out loud, "You don't understand the unique timing of my creative spirit."  It is possible for me to envision Spring in Winter and Christmas in October!! There is no set time for making my mark as the spirit moves me. Maybe that is why I keep a lighted tree up all year in the cottage.  My father used to work on his outdoor Christmas decorations all year long unveiling them the evening of Thanksgiving.  My brother and I would stand outside and ooh and aah as he plugged them in.  The burst of color would send shivers through us.  My dad would just grin from ear to ear. His artistry left a mark on the entire community.

All of us have unique talents of making this world a more special place.  I am in awe of painters who create such masterpieces and chefs who deliciously prepare feasts fit for kings and queens.  The singers, the dancers, the craftsmen ... writers, musicians, and designers all make up a population of expressionists.

Forgive me if I am  out of step with the masses.  God put me into a small percentage of people who are kindred spirits ~ the INFJ's of this world (1% of the population).  I used to worry about being so odd compared to most.  Now?  Hey, I am able to celebrate moi!!  I raise holy hands to my God for unveiling my core and thank Him for making us all with special fingerprints. On that note, I think I will pull on my rain boots and do a little singing and dancing in the rain!!

Always remember you are loved and prayed for ... YA YOU!!

Miss Dottie

PS  I like what Robert Pattinson said:  "Our fingerprints don't fade from the lives we touch."  I could encourage you to celebrate your own special talents today.  Don't worry about what others might say. Push the envelope, think outside the box! Carpe'Diem!! 



1 comment:

  1. Yes, celebrate you!! I wouldn't change a thing--put up the Christmas lights, start the music, bring out the food and drink, and let's enjoy life!!

    XXOO~
    Jane

    ReplyDelete