Friday, November 7, 2014

Countdown to Thanksgiving - giving thanks!

While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest,
cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease.
~Genesis 8:22 (ESV)

November 7, 2014
Friday

Dear God,


Thank you for the rain the past couple days. I look out over my gardens and I can literally see plants greening up and flowers becoming more vibrant. There's just something about water from heaven that is special! I know that You, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are comfy in your chairs in Heaven watching all that's going on down here but, I'd like to invite you in to chat with me awhile. I love talking with you and, besides that,  I just like feeling your presence. I've lit a nice fire and fixed some cups of steaming hot cocoa ~ with marshmallows, of course!!


Today is a day to appreciate the cycles of nature and my life. The leaves are falling as they have since the beginning of time replenishing the soil, blanketing and warming roots that will grow and be strengthened to provide the beautiful burst of new life we call Spring. I am raking those leaves and using them as mulch for my ever-expanding gardens! I am in awe at the roses in bloom and sweet faces of pansies peeking out from pots placed here and there. Crazy gardener that I am, I talk to my plants and get so excited about those faces!




Everything in nature has it's time ~ just when I think it's over, it starts again. The new owes it's existence to the old. If I ever wondered if You were real, I think about the seasons; the cycle of life, death, and then new life. You breathe life into our surroundings and into my being. My seed has been carried on to my children and grandchildren and they are now spreading their seeds. Ah yes...life is good.

Thanksgiving is just around the corner and I have grown to love that holiday more and more as I have grown older. I grew up in a family that loved the holidays. My mother and father hosted Thanksgiving every year for many years. Long tables were set up in the basement to accommodate the host of relatives arriving around noon on Thanksgiving Day. My mother made the turkey, dressing, gravy, and potatoes (yams & white). My other aunts would bring the desserts and sides. What a feast! No wonder the men napped after we ate. My mother and aunts would gather in the kitchen cleaning up and getting ready for round 2 at six. My cousins and I would head outside to play and sometimes went bowling. We were excited for another reason ... Christmas was just around the corner!!


Last night I had a Sleep Study done in Waco. My neighbors, Beverly and Don, took me down for my initial interview in the morning. What a blessing in my life these two are. If I need anything, they are there. They have so little yet they give so much. Father, help me to continually share my faith with them that one day they will come to know You as their own personal savior. Amen!

Because I do not do well driving at night, Michael took me back to Waco last night. I was disappointed as I forgot to take my camera to record my appearance as an alien from outer space. I was hooked up a finger thing that recorded my oxygen levels, EEG wires (brain), EKG wires (heart), EMG wires (muscles) ~ plus, had a nasal cannula and a little pipe like gizmo that went into my mouth. After a few initial tests, I was off to sleepyland. Before I knew it, it was 4:40a and the technician was waking me up to do some final tests. Michael was there to pick me up and, pillow and blanket in hand, I headed back home to get the gunk and paste out of my hair. I was thankful that Michael was able to drive me there and pick me up as I hate driving in the dark. He had to be back in Waco this morning at 7 for work so he's going to have a l-o-n-g day. Lucky me, I got to go back to bed for a little while. I am so looking forward to getting results and moving forward to getting a more restful sleep!


Father, I want to pray for my Readers, family, and friends. So many are going through trials of illness, losing loved ones, and the inability to find jobs that support their families. I lift them up in prayer knowing that as I raise holy hands You will gently ease their sorrows, worries, and pain. Wrap them in your arms dear Jesus and hold them tight enough that they would recognize your face. Help us to see the beauty around us and to praise you for our blessings. There is always something to be grateful for and I pray that your people would NEVER GIVE UP. There is a spark of survival that You have put in all of us. Amen! I thank you for coming by today and for sharing my world. There is a quiet peace inside of me that raises up that mustard seed of hope! I love you, Lord!! Amen, it is so...


Miss Dottie

NOTE TO MY READERS:  "Those blessings are sweetest that are won with prayer and worn with thanks." ~Thomas Goodwin 

I am so grateful for years and years of friendships ... for those I've cherished since childhood and those that I make each and every day. My heart overflows with love and smiles...

Truly, this is a day of thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment