Sunday, November 30, 2014

Thanksgiving 2014

November 27, 2014
Thursday

Dear God,

Happy Thanksgiving (with a voice that alternates between that of a sultry screen star in the 40's and a goose in pain) ~ if you're concerned about catching my sore throat, sinus congestion, chest congestion, cough and on and on, I don't blame you. You can sit on your cushy pillows in Heaven and we can still share a time of togetherness.

The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry ... so John Steinbeck said. As of last night we were going to get up, have breakfast, ready the pups for the dog sitter to come in, and head for North Texas about 1. Everything was arranged and the car was set to go. The OTC sinus medicine I had been taking was keeping the virus I have at bay but this morning I felt like someone had given me a shot of the real, honest to goodness flu. As I stumbled into the house, Michael said, "What happened to you?"  I guess I did look rather ragged with my wrinkled jammies, puffy eyes, and hair standing on end. THEN, I opened my mouth, and he really laughed.  My "where's the coffee" came out in crackled pieces. He knew what I meant and while I portioned out 5 bowls of kibble, he made my cup. Those Keurig coffee makers sure are a wonderful invention. Before long, I was sitting on the little stool in the kitchen watching my furry kids inhale their breakfast.

Michael was looking a bit green in the gills and when I looked up from my stool, he was leaning against the doorway. "You sickly?" His response ... "Ya think?" 

Please Lord, strip this grippe from my body leaving it feeling whole once again. And, while you're at it, fix Michael too!
One week of this is enough!!
Amen!

I remember years and years ago, I kept getting sick ~ my doctor was puzzled because although the strep, kidney infections, flu, etc were real, I shouldn't have been getting one thing right after another. Looking back, it was at a very stressful time in my life and I think that stress has a lot to do with how our bodies operate. I think that dealing with Fibromyalgia, pain, and the stresses of the past few months has taken it's toll. I recognize it and must do something to alter the progression of illnesses eating away at my body. Sooo, starting right now, I am going to buy more veggies and fruits (not only buy them but eat them), meditate and pray, and release every stress that I can. I wonder if I could lock myself in the cottage and have Michael shove a tray through the door?! I think it's time to do a 40 days of prayer again beginning with a fast. Ok ... on the right track ... moving right along...

Please Lord, help me to focus only on You
and the direction you want me to go.
Amen

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays from the time I was a tiny girl. It was a day when I got to eat all the olives I wanted and I LOVED OLIVES!! My cousins, Sandy and Marcie, would join me filling the relish dishes with those plump green beauties ~ only problem was, my mom caught on before too long and would scold us saying, "You will spoil your dinner." I would make sure I went to the store with my mom to shop for Thanksgiving items just so she wouldn't forget to get extra bottles of olives. Come wash day, she'd find all those pits in my pockets and I'd hear, "Dorothy Bell...." (I smiled then, and I'm still eating olives and smiling ... pits in my pockets!)

Father in Heaven, I thank you for the cherished memories
I have of the Thanksgiving holidays.
Amen

I was thinking today about how far our society has deviated from the traditional ways of yesterday. We have gone from the traditional time of cooking, baking, and sharing food and love with family and friends to a hurry up, let's eat, and either head for the pre-Black Friday sales or to watch the football games. What happened to savoring the meal, talking over the blessings and challenges of the year, and just being together? Oh what I would give to have my family back around my dining room table laughing and bragging about of specialness of each dish.

Please Lord, remind us of what is important in life ... those gifts we're racing to get at rock bottom prices... 
Will we remember them 40 years from now? As our families have become so fractured,
I pray that we would come together as You intended.
Amen

I am such a sentimental traditional lady and value time spent with family and friends. Today, I missed the adventure of heading north so I had to punt...  I sent Michael to the store to get some Carving Board Turkey slices, made some homemade cranberry sauce, baked a potato, heated up some corn, pulled some rolls from the freezer and baked those, and grabbed a box of Stove Top Stuffing. The table was set with Thanksgiving in mind and by the time I finished preparing the plates, I stood back and said, "Well, it sure looks pretty!" Michael said, "I don't know how you make ordinary look so beautiful and taste so good." It's just adding a little of this and a little of that... he he (Truth be told, neither one of us could taste much but, at least, we tried get in the spirit!)

Thank you Jesus for food that nourishes our bodies ~ thank you for Your Word which nourishes our minds ~
thank you for who I am in You. 
Amen!

Now, after all that, I am pooped, exhausted, my nose is dripping on to my computer, and I am hacking up enough green gunk to make the Grinch smile! Time for my Thanksgiving nap!!

Miss Dottie

NOTE TO READERS: I hope that your Thanksgiving was blessed with good food, family, friends, and, especially good health!! If not, I pray for us all to have a sense of humor about the hiccoughs that come when we least expect. The countdown to Christmas begins!


1 comment:

  1. What a horrible thing to have happen on Thanksgiving, yet you never know why you got sick-- maybe something horrible would have happened on the road and God made sure you stayed put. It sounds like you made the best out of the situation!

    Get well soon~
    Jane

    ReplyDelete