Tuesday, November 25, 2014

New Beginnings...

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.
~Bernard Williams

November 24, 2014
Monday

Dear God,

It's me and you time. I just took a Praline Pumpkin Dessert out of the oven and the house smells heavenly. I made one yesterday for the Thanksgiving Feast at church and liked it so much that I made another for us to nibble on. It's supposed to chill 4 hours after it cooks on a rack so I'll be having a late evening snack. Yum!!

I had so many things to talk over with You today. The last few days have been busy ones. I scarcely know where to begin.

You know how much I have mourned the loss of our Maltese, Zeke. Each of us have our own ways of dealing with loss ~ mine is to grieve then fill the hole with beautiful memories and a celebration of life in the present. I  knew that Zeke could not be cloned ~ he was a one of a kind rascal that came to us on loan for a specified amount of time. If I only a day with Zeke, it would have been a treasure!

I knew that I would adopt another dog at some point. You and I talked about it and weighed the pros and cons. I knew I couldn't afford to purchase from an expensive breeder so I thought about EBay and Craigslist (EBay much more pricey). My friend, Kat, had gotten her dog, Maxie, on Craigslist so I talked to her about her experience. I must admit Craigslist had about every kind of pet there is at rock bottom prices. The only bad thing was the wading through the scammers and being very smart in dealing. I had a couple encounters that were pretty darn creepy. In fact, one more weird text with this "person" and I was going to report them. I just had to trust in You, Lord.

Bring me a nice quiet sister!
~Ruffy

Anyway, Michael and I knew that it wouldn't be easy adding another dog to the family. We had the other dogren to consider and they had to be our first consideration. Our expectations were set pretty high and list of must haves long and detailed.


We're looking for a cool brother!
~Kennedy & Toby

I want a sister I can boss around!
~Harmony Jane

We decided that we would just go see some full blooded Maltese dogs in the price range we could afford. I had a couple conversations that I considered very "normal" and we headed for Fort Worth Saturday morning for Round One of our search. The house was in an "up and coming" area where some homes were pretty broken down and others nicely redone. We pulled up to a little cottage and I texted ... "We're here." 

A young Hispanic lady answered the door and we entered a nicely decorated living area which they were obviously using as their computer room. Everything was clean and there were no dog odors. She had 3 little Maltese puppies in her arms and we were invited to play with the dogs and spend as much time with them as we liked.  They had kept detailed records of their dogs and were anxious to answer any questions we had.  We had taken Toby with us and, I must say, he was quite a gentleman. The puppies were cute and we could tell they were full-blooded Maltese. They were clean, healthy, and lively ... no runny eyes or obvious red flags. Yet, Toby didn't interact with the pups preferring to sit on the sofa between us. A couple times he growled at the puppies not wanting them close to him. Neither Michael nor I were thinking it was a go either. We stayed an appropriate amount of time and were ready to leave with the usual, "Let us think about them and we'll get back to you."

From there, it was like You took the wheel. The lady came back to the living area with a little white dog in her arms ... "I know you said you wanted a full-blooded Maltese, but I have this little puppy that is a Maltese and Shih Tzu mix that sounds perfect for your family. It was like he had a halo over his head. I looked at the puppy then at Michael, "He's the one." She put him on the floor and Toby went over and put his right paw on the puppy's head. From there, they started sniffing butts and playing. We dubbed him Finnegan Ezekiel aka Finn which means the little white warrior with the strength of God and headed home. Yep, just like that...

Sometimes, I just know when things are right ... like when I went to the Open Range Church. When I listen to my first gut feel, I have rarely ever made a mistake in judgement. It's when I've had to second guess myself that I've been sorry. I want to say thank you for that Sixth Sense you've given me!!

Finn has been with us nearly three days now and we've never looked back. He loved the ride in the car (good traveler) and is very smart. At 2.2 pounds, he's a little guy needing feedings every four hours. His bladder is tiny so the most he can go without peeing is about 3-4 hours (although last night he slept for 5 1/2 hours without waking up). Because it's cold outside, we put down a wee wee pad and he got the idea right away. If we say, "Go pee pee," he squats and goes. No accidents so far!!



Everyone has been asking how the other dogs like him. Well, like I said, he and Toby are buds ... Kennedy ignores him ... the little girls would rather he not be here. The pack order has once again been jiggled and, as the new kid on the block, Finn is at the bottom. At this point, he is very submissive. It is fun to watch them vie for their positions.


Being retired and not having a set schedule, has made the transition an easy one. We can give the other dogs the attention they need (Finn still sleeps a lot!) and still care for him as a puppy. It's been six years since we've had a seven week old pup and, believe me, it is different having to think about when to start shots, when to neuter, food, toys, crate, baby gate, etc. It took a couple days to get a schedule set up and puppy proof the house ~ now we're just working the plan. Feed, wait 20 min, put on pad/outside ... play (go outside if nice), put on pad/outside ... nap, put on pad/outside ... wait 4 hours then repeat. Bedtime is at 10pm and our day starts at 6am.


Finn has been good for me. I am able to see the world through his eyes and celebrate each new step he takes. I can tell that he is going to be a lively one ... he loves to follow me back and forth from the cottage to the house and the world is his playground. He doesn't bark much and when he does, it's almost like he surprises himself. He cuddles next to me to sleep and wakes me with puppy kisses when he has to potty. I am sure there will be days ahead when I will wonder what I got myself in to but, for now, life with Finn, Toby, Kennedy, Harmony, and Ruffy is good!

Miss Dottie



Father in Heaven, this Thanksgiving week, I thank you for the blessings you have bestowed on me. The peacefulness inside of me rings loud ~ I hope that makes sense. My list of gratitude grows by the minute! I pray for those gathering this Thanksgiving to celebrate the blessings of family and friends. I pray also for those who are alone and have no one to share your love with. Open our hearts and homes to the less fortunate. Amen! There are so many that are fighting that dreaded cancer and a host of other illnesses and diseases that tear us down physically, mentally, and spiritually. I pray for those seeking jobs ~ open doors, Father, where there are opportunities. I pray for dissension to be stilled in our country. I know that You are in control and that ultimately, whatever happens in our lives can and will be used to your glory and purpose. Amen, it is so!!


2 comments:

  1. Finn is so little and cute! I'm glad he has brought much needed happiness to your life. I love the story of how he came to be...kind of neat when things work out like that. I'm so glad you didn't get a dog through Craigslist!! I have heard horror stories about the people that post dogs on the site.

    XXOO~
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad or glad to say, we did get Finn from a Craigslist posting. We did our homework, were smart, &, in the end, were very happy. Finn continues to be a joy and certainly filled my Christmas stocking wish!!

    ReplyDelete