Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Here's to 6 years of bliss wrapped up in a package called Nicholas!


The Greatest by Kenny Rogers dedicated to Nicholas!

December 7, 2011

And, a Merry Christmas morning to you, Readers!  The countdown to Christmas Eve and Day continues from my perch out in the lanai in Florida!

Oh goodness, it's such a gorgeous day I can hardly stand it.  I am sitting here listening to the water fall into the pool from the spa.  I look up and gaze into the stand of pine trees behind the house.  The sky is a deep blue and a few fluffy white clouds add dimension to my view.  God's paintbrush at work!!

Six years ago, my youngest grandson, Nicholas Paul, was born in Plano, TX.  It was a wintry, snowy day which made it impossible for me to see him until he was a day old!!  Now that's torture for a grandmother!!  He was such a beautiful baby, a wonderful Christmas gift to the entire family!!  The good Lord knew what He was doing when He created Nicholas!

Psalm 139  "For you created my inmost being, you knit me together in my mother's womb ... I am fearfully and wonderfully made ... my frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place ... Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."

To meet Nicholas is to meet a ray of sunshine ... His smile lights up a room and his impish ways have me wrapped around his little finger.  To spend time with him makes my world turn upside down and inside out ... in a good way.

"Life, love, and laughter.  What priceless gifts to give our children."~~Phyllis Dryden




Nicholas has a creative spirit and a gentle soul.  He's shy, not given a whole lot to long bouts of conversation.  A year ago, Nicholas discovered the world of t-ball and baseball. He hasn't been the same since.  Dad, Tommy, took him by the hand, tears streaming down Nicholas's face ... "I can't, Dad..."  "Yes, you can, son, I know you can ... I'm right here beside you." 

"Each day of our lives, we make deposits in the memory banks of our children."~~Charles Swindol

Those early days were hard on Nicholas and his mom and dad, too.  It's tough to watch children go through those times of fear and watch them falter time and time again.  One day, something clicked inside of Nicholas's heart and mind.  "I can and I will..."  He's ferocious on that field playing positions of third base, second base, catcher, and shortstop.  For a little guy, he's got a mighty arm ... a force to be reckoned with!

"For the spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline."~~II Timothy 1:7


This past year says a lot about my grandson.  He learned to play t-ball and excelled enough to be asked to play on a tournament team this Fall.  AND, he made the transition from preschool to kindergarten.  Like his brother, Zachary, Nicholas is a good student loved by his classmates and teacher alike.

New situations are difficult for Nicholas yet he is an overcomer.  He's not afraid to express his fears and the tears flow easily.  I like that...  To be able to express fear means that there is an opportunity to come alongside and give that needed support and encouragement. 

I think that Nicholas is a little guy on the cusp of greatness.  Why?  Just call it grandmotherly intuition.  That greatness may come in a way we least expect it but it will be there.  This Fall when trophies were handed out, this five year old truly deserved his prize.  He began a new quest and finished well.  Isn't that what life's all about anyway?  We come into this world and we run the race of life one milestone at a time.

Happy Birthday Nicholas!  May your day be as special today as it was the day you made your way into this world..  Keep on being who you are inching forward one day at a time.  I wish I was there to hug you and sing Happy Birthday in person.  Hopefully, your mommy and daddy will read you my blog.  You inspire me!!

"Nobody can do what grandparents for little children what grandparents do.  Grandparents sort of sprinkle stardust over the lives of little children."~~Alex Haley

I declare this hug a (grand)child day ... Always remember you are loved and prayed for ... YA YOU ... wherever you are!!






    

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Nicholas! I agree with you, the Lord has amazing things in store for that sweet, precious boy. Plus, his smile could melt the coldest heart.

    XXOO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete