Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Life is so fragile...


Time stands still for no man
No matter how much one does wish
To keep our lives most holy
And nights unendless bliss.

Death comes to us all.....


(Part of a poem written by Miss Dottie in 1973 after the death of Mom and Dad Anderson and Dad Pederson who passed away about six months apart)

Good Afternoon, Readers!  Come on in for a cup of coffee and a chat.  It's kind of chilly outside but oh so warm within the walls of the little casa.

Christmas Eve Day, Michael and I visited the Christmas Store and also an antique store in downtown Hillsboro.  We were rummaging through the treasures before us when Michael got a phone call letting us know that his Aunt Mattie had passed away the night before.  We looked at each other and our joyous laughter quieted to a more somber tone of, "Oh, dear..."

Aunt Mattie had been in poor health for quite some time; however, death still comes when you least expect it and it carries that sting of finality.  Michael shared some stories of his aunt with me and we made our way to the nursing home to tell Mom S about Mattie's passing.  One more family member of her generation ... gone.  I am sure she has spent many hours reminiscing of days gone by.  We will travel to North Texas tomorrow to attend Mattie's funeral and celebrate her life with other family members.

When people have lived full lives, we know the end is "around the corner."  It's the ones who pass from birth into their younger years that we shake our heads at and wonder,  "Why, Lord?"

Yesterday, Michael was looking at his high school reunion board on the internet and saw an entry that brought him to his knees -- Bryan S killed in family hunting accident.  We immediately called Bryan's mother, Debbie, to find out if this posting was true.  Debbie was Mom S's housekeeper and dear friend for years. Through Mom, Debbie became friends with Michael and I.  Debbie stopped by the house a week ago telling us about her upcoming surgery and how excited she was to be having her whole family in for the Christmas holidays.  Little did she or we know how different life would be in just a few days time.

Why Bryan?  Bryan was just 35 and in the prime of his life.  He was married and had two children.  Life was good.  He was an accomplished trick roper and performed for various crowds across Texas with his trained steer “Gus."   He touched many lives throughout the entire world proudly serving his country in the United States Navy.  The circumstances surrounding Bryan's death have filled my heart with sorrow.  Bryan has gone on to a better place to be with his Heavenly Father BUT those left behind are in shock, sorrowful, and broken.

We never know from moment to moment what is coming around the corner - good or not so good.  Like Bryan on a fun family hunting expedition -- who would have thought that joyous occasion would be marked with tragedy.  Death doesn't wait for opportune times.  It strikes with a sting like no other.  Bryan's funeral is Friday but even then I know healing will take a long time.

God brings us into this world with a plan for our lives.  Too bad, He doesn't deliver us with papers telling us what that plan is and how long we will be here.  It is so difficult for us to understand the big picture and how the puzzle pieces fit together.  That's where trust and faith come in.  Trust in knowing that God knows what He is doing and Faith in knowing that "all things work together for good for those who love Him and are called according to his purpose" (Romans 8:28).


Myrna Lee, Top Row on Right
Miss Dottie, Bottom Row 2nd from Right
I will never forget May 24, 1957.  My mother came into my room that morning, her eyes red and swollen.  She looked at me and said, "Myrna died last night."  Myrna was my seventeen year old cousin.  Again, a tragic tragic accident...  I was not allowed to attend the funeral but I wanted to go.  Myrna had been my Summer babysitter and she was someone I was in awe of ... how she pinned up her hair with bobby pins, painted her nails, smacked her lips when she put on lipstick, charmed her boyfriends...  She was just erased -- gone -- not talked about in my presence.  I think adults don't give kids enough credit, shielding them from life when maybe it's better to not shield so much.   How about talking through the tragedy?  Just my opinion for whatever it's worth.  Kids need to say goodbye too!

Life is so fragile ... too fragile for us to just take up space in this world.  At birth, we're given this moment of time ... maybe that's why I sometimes burn the midnight oil or get up at the crack of dawn.  I don't want to miss anything.  I want to dance like nobody's watching ... sing ... love ... feel every emotion possible ... learn ... grow ... give and receive ... experience all there is to experience this side of Heaven!!  Don't you want to, too??  If you knew you were going to die tomorrow what would you do??  I don't know about you but I would make every single second count.  I would be hugging and loving up a storm!!

Grandma's give great hugs & lotza love!

Greg (36) gave his
life for our freedom!
 Is it possible to praise God, even in the midst of trials ("...I am trusting you!  I will hide beneath the shadow of your wings until this storm is past."~~Psalms 57:1) and tears ("...You have collected all my tears and preserved them in your bottle!~~Psalm 56:8)?  Absolutely ... there is no healer like our Almighty God (Jehovah Rophe).  Not only does he heal but he restores!!  Tragedy has given birth to many great causes (my cousin, Jim, who lost his son, Greg, in Afghanistan, comforts and counsels other families who have or are going through similar losses).  Laws have been enacted -- foundations established -- lives saved through organ donors -- the list goes on and on.  Sadly enough, it takes tragedies for us to get off our (ahem!) butts and do what needs to be done!

Come on, join me today in making your life count for something.  Do you know anyone who is going through tears and trials?  Pick up the phone or make a visit.  Don't know what to say?  A simple, "I care" will suffice.

As much as we'd like, no matter who we are or what we do, time passes by.  What you do is up to you but once your days, hours, minutes, seconds have gone by you will never get them back.  Use your time wisely!

As for you, my precious Readers,

always know you are loved and prayed for ... YA YOU!!

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that! It is so easy to forget to live..I mean really live life to the fullest. Thank you for the reminder. I am not sure if I would want to know the moment God was ready for me because it would certainly change how I lived day to day. What are you supposed to say to your kids and husband?? sorry guys no laundry or meals because I'm dying soon (kind of creepy to think about it...) Some things are left better as a secret, with the knowledge that life is fragile and to fill it with family, friends, and activities.

    I love that picture of you and Katrina. Your joy is picture perfect.

    Ahhhhh- another great blog, Mama Mia-

    XXOO
    Jane

    ReplyDelete