Thursday, December 22, 2011

It's Christmas Time in Texas

It's Christmas Time In Texas!

Yes, it's Christmas time in Texas!  Thought I would get your blood pumping with a little George Strait this morning!  Nothin' like a little Texas twang to either warm your heart or set you on edge!  Either way, tap your toes, Santa's on his merry way!!

Since I was in Florida for three weeks, this Christmas has been sort of, well ... different.  When I was in Florida, I experienced a tropical Christmas.  The light show at the Wiregrass Mall was amazing ... they even had snow blowing around from some machines.  The kids were going nuts trying to catch the flakes swirling about them.  The one thing that I noticed the most was that there aren't many churches ... guess I am used to living in the Bible Belt!!  I Christmas shopped for my Florida family while I was there and felt sad knowing that I wouldn't be present when the gifts were opened.  I am like so many who have loved ones far away.  Christmas is about the Christ Child and family ... I always have Christ with me but, sadly, I only see my Florida family a couple times a year.  I am grateful for phones, email, and Facebook to keep in touch.

I do have to laugh, though.  My granddaughter, Kat, called me a couple nights ago screaming in the phone, "Grandma, I love the dress and the purse ... I'm going to wear it for my Christmas party at school."  Evidently, she didn't have anything special to wear to her party and mom, Jane, figured she would love opening a gift early.  It made my heart sing to hear her so excited.  She is a giver and was telling me that she was going to fill her new purse with candy ... one for each person in her class.  Kat loves sparkle and glam ... besides being a fit athlete, she is quite the fashion plate.  I tucked that conversation away in my memory bank and smile every time I think about my relationship with Miss Katrina!

It's downright cold here today.  I was sleeping so soundly when the dogren got me up to let them outside.  Figured I might as well stay up so I put on a pot of Christmas Coffee and made some banana muffins.  The aroma must have floated across the street 'cause friend, Beverly, came over to share my brew and goodies.  I just love it when people feel comfortable enough to wander over on a whim.  I put on the Christmas album sung by Il Divo and we enjoyed good breakfast and made plans for dinner Christmas Day (as well as plans to walk each day).

I am on track for finishing reading the Bible through this year.  In fact, I will finish early and prepare to begin anew January 1.  People ask me why I do this every year and I don't have a set answer.  For some reason, I just want to.  I want to know the man I call my Savior, my King.  When I was in Florida, Katrina, asked me about the Bible and I told her it was a very special book to me ... one that I cherished.  She did some Christmas shopping at school and gave me a beautiful little candle holder with an angel ... she said, "Grandma, you told me that the Bible was important to you so I figured you would like this angel."  So many people have and are writing religious themed books but the Bible is the living word of God and it speaks to me, answers my questions, keeps me on track ... I am a work in progress and I learn something new each and every day then meditate on that.  If you haven't tried a Daily Walk Bible, I highly recommend giving it a go in 2012.  All I can tell you is that by the grace of the living God, I am whole.  I harbor no resentments and keep my slates clean.

Today, my reading took me to Jude, a book of one chapter!  I end my blog today sending you a Merry Christmas blessing (Jude 1:1-2) ... "To: Christians everywhere--beloved of God and chosen by Him.  May you be given more and more of God's kindness, peace, and love."

Always Your Friend ... Miss Dottie














 

1 comment:

  1. Your pictures bring back such wonderful memories. I enjoyed reading your blog with George Strait in the background. I know I have said this before, yet your blogs will be cherished for many years to come. Thank you for sharing your talents.

    XXOO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete