Thursday, December 22, 2011

Saturday Thoughts...

December 17, 2011

Good morning and Merry Christmas countdown, Readers!  I have a fire going in the fireplace this morning to take the edge off the chill.  Just poured myself a hot cup of coffee.  Want to join me?  I know some of you don't like coffee so I do have a wonderful mix of hot chocolate ready as well.


First of all, I need to tell you something.  The last night I was in Florida, Jane took me to the AT&T store and introduced me to a wonderful young lady.  Jane explained I needed a new phone.  The clerk took one look at my phone and shook her head ... "Ready for the Smithsonian, huh??"  The first question out of her mouth was, "What do you want to use your phone for."  I immediately knew I liked this woman.  I needed a phone to call and receive calls and to get messages that was very user friendly.  (Period)  She took me to a wall of phones and gave me a short tutorial on the IPhone.  I was able to use the phone immediately and knew that it would serve my purposes.  When I got home, my eight year old granddaughter showed me how to use additional features and then Tim got me set up to use several apps.  I was so proud of myself.  I still am getting used to all the features but am totally comfortable with what I initially wanted to use it for.  I think the problem with new technology is that often times the person explaining it knows it too well and isn't able to sell to the level of the buyer.  Anyway...my old phone is now retired and I am set for another ten years!!

Yesterday was my son's birthday ... thirty-seven!  Gulp!!  You know you're getting older when your children are into their 40's and late 30's.  My son is the baby of the family and has brought such joy to all of us.  He was a spunky little guy yet quiet, deep, and thoughtful ... come to think of it, he still is quiet, deep and thoughtful!  A mother's pride and joy!  He went through some years of trial as a young adult bringing me to my knees many a day and night.  God truly does answer prayer and has not only taken him from the depths of darkness but opened his eyes to the newness of life.  I am so proud of not only who he is in his heart but also who he is becoming one day at a time.  God has been using him for great things and I know that will continue on into the future!


I don't know what's been the matter with me...  I have been in an up and down purple funk for a few days which is not like me at all.  Maybe because it's that I am in a place where I don't know exactly what is going on.  I have been used to being in the work force, having health insurance that I understand, and making a decent salary that has allowed me to live simply yet comfortably.  Turning sixty-five has been confusing to me and I have been trying to steady myself.  It would be so nice if Medicare would have group meetings so that I could ask questions and feel comfortable with the system.  I've always been such an independent person and this is eating my lunch.  Anyone relate?


I just checked my Facebook page and found several postings regarding those who have loved ones in Heaven for Christmas.  Christmas can be a tough go for those with raw emotions regarding those who have passed on.  I have such wonderful memories of my mother and father at Christmas as well as my grandmothers and other family members who have gone before me.  I giggle when I think about watching Bonanza Christmas Eve at my Aunt Laura's and Uncle Cloyde's home (they had a black and white TV that was covered by a screen that was supposed to make the program appear as though it was in color).  We oohed and aahed over a pretty goofy looking screen.  I am so very grateful for my memories because they have carried me through some tough Christmas's.  I think it's important to remember; yet, what's even more important is our task at hand to make memory making moments with those who are still here with us.  That was then, now is now.  I guess that sounds rather blunt but we can live so much in the past that we can't see the beauty of today.  We have those we love with us but for a moment in time and must make the most of that time whether it be a few minutes or many many years.

Michael and I attended grandson Nicholas's Christmas (yes, Christmas) Program at school yesterday.  Those little kindergartners are so darn cute.  We laughed and smiled and soaked in every moment of the festivities at the program and afterwards at the parties not only in Nicholas's class but also in Zachary's class.  I couldn't help but feel the joy joy joy joy in the air!  Boy!  They really belted out "We wish you a Merry Christmas!!"  Seemed like yesterday that we were watching Zachary (now in second grade) perform in those same reindeer hats!

I hope that all of you are enjoying the festivities of the Christmas Season.  Each day holds new adventures as time ticks on...  Let's chat again soon!

Always remember you are loved and prayed for ... YA YOU!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I'm glad you like your phone. Honestly, I can't wait until I can get one. On May 1st when my contract expires, I will be the first in line. Who knows, maybe I can go flirt with the Sprint guy and he'll let me out of my contract early--he! he!

    Tommy looks fantastic! He is very special-through and through. I pray for his continued healing and financial success. Of course, I think Zac and Nicholas are the best. Thanks for posting some pics.

    XXOO
    Jane

    ReplyDelete