Wednesday, December 28, 2011

O Holy Night

O Holy Night...

Merry Belated Christmas, Readers!  Did you think that I forgot about you?  Not on your life!

Christmas Eve, Michael and I attended First United Methodist Church.. The present church sanctuary dates back to 1853 ... I walked up the steep steps to the church, opened the doors and was hypnotized by the beauty before me.  The oak pews, the stained glass windows, the placement of the balcony ... I couldn't help myself.  I took out my trusty camera and took a photo of the Christmas tree gracing the corner.  There were maybe 150 people at the service -- quite an intimate setting to celebrate Christ's birth.  No fancy choirs, pastors ... just plan folks who generation after generation have found their way to this church to worship.  There was a couple who sang O Holy Night and I caught myself thinking that it, indeed, was a very Holy Night!  I prayed for you, my Readers and for my friends and family.  The Lord felt very close and I drank in every moment of my time there.  I also realized just how much I miss being an active part of a church family.  No excuses ... I was convicted!

It was very cold and wet here Christmas Eve.  We drove down a few streets to look at the lights.  I felt so sad ... so many beautiful old homes deteriorating from lack of care.  I wished I was rich ... I would buy the town and salvage these historical gems!  I wished that we could have put lights on the little casa.  She deserved to be lit up after her transformation over the past year!  We need to have an electrical box put in the front of the house ... is on my list for Lupe to do in 2012!!

Tommy, Angie, Zachary & "Saint" Nicholas
We invited some friends in for Christmas Day dinner.  I was busy with the turkey, dressing, setting the table; and, oh my gosh, my son and his family appeared at the door.  Surprise!!  Yes, it was ... their presence made this the best Christmas ever!!  Good thing I always make plenty of food ... all I had to do was extend the table to get all eight of us around it.  You know how shocked I was because I forgot to take photos.  Bummers!  I have much to treasure in my heart!

In my last blog I mentioned that I was having unbelievers for dinner and that I had prayed that they would see Christ Christmas Day.  Well, you wouldn't believe what happened.  As we sat down to eat, I had this strange feeling come over me and God prompted me to ask Zachary (age 8) to say the table prayer.  Out of the mouths of babes ... Zachary not only blessed the food but he wished Jesus a happy birthday and thanked God for sending his son to die on the cross for us....  As my son said later, he gave an hour's sermon in a two minute prayer.  Do you think we have a future preacher in the family??  Zachary's love of Jesus shines from every bone in his body and speaks in a way that warms the coldest of hearts.  All I know is that the seed was planted and love reigned Christmas Day!


Virginia Ann, Age 85
Later Christmas Day, we all went to the nursing home to visit Mom S.  She needed help this year unwrapping her gifts.  Most of all, she was so excited to have a family to celebrate Christmas with.  Zachary and Nicholas wrapped their arms around her, hugging her and telling her they loved her.  She melted...ah, once again, a life was touched by the blessing of family!

Sadie and Toby say "Bye!"
I was sad to see Christmas Day end.  It started out with a surprise ... answered prayers ... and ended with love exchanged ... FAMILY - For Better or Worse.  Yes, we are family ... God doesn't make mistakes.  I see the Lord working in each of our lives, pruning us and making us better people.

The older I get, the more I realize how important grace is in families.  Often times, I think we find it easier to extend grace and kindness to strangers than we do our own families.  We are bound together as a unit to uplift and support one another no matter what.  There is always HOPE which is never more evident than the birth of the Lord Jesus Christ!

Always remember that you are loved and prayed for ... YA YOU!!


   

1 comment:

  1. I adore old churches as well-the detail, warmth, history, and little dings bring forth character. We have visited our share of mega-churches and I prefer a medium venue w/ traditional detail.

    I think it is wonderful that Tommy, Angie, and the boys surprised you and Michael with an impromtu visit. I can't think of a better person to visit on Christmas; you always have delicious food, a smile on your face, and exude blissfulness.

    Merry belated Christmas back to ya-
    XXOO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete