Monday, August 27, 2012

An Adulterous Union

Lily gets me where I need to be in style!
August 21, 2012

What happened to the Texas heat?  It was actually chilly here this morning.  I sat outside and watched Nicholas and Zachary play chase (actually, cops and robbers) -- Tommy and Angie have a wonderful big old fashioned front porch with plenty of room for rockers.  Perfect morning = time with my grandsons, a hot cup of coffee, some Bible reading, topped off with a yummy lunch.

I made the trip to North Texas late Sunday afternoon.  Angie started her new job at the school Monday, so I volunteered to watch the boys.  I am getting filled up with hugs, laughter, and adventures that only an (almost) 9 year old and 7 year old can provide!  They have very vivid imaginations!!  I got to be the police photographer today!!

Cops & Robbers:  Mug Shot - Nicholas

Cops & Robbers:  Mug Shot - Zachary


I am coming to the end of the Old Testament in my daily Bible reading.  Boy, am I ever struggling!  I am asking myself if I am just being lazy or what is going on inside me.  With that being said, I opened my Bible to Hosea and the word became life before me.  I realized that not every passage in the Bible is going to jump out at me.  However, if I had stopped and not struggled through Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, and Daniel, I wouldn't be where I am today.

Truth is transforming -- but only when truth is known and acted upon.  God's Word brings conviction -- but only when I expose my life to its convicting truths.  Something is only nourishing when I feed upon it. "An untouched pantry full of food is as useless physically as an unopened Bible is spiritually." (Quote from Daily Walk Bible)

I live in the United States of America.  You'd have to be deaf, dumb, and living in a remote area void of communication to not know about God and his son, Jesus.  In fact, our very nation was founded on knowledge of that very existence.  The truth is, our nation has chosen not to follow and live by that knowledge. 


"Don't point your finger at someone else, and try to pass the blame to him!"  Hosea 4:4

We all do that, don't you think?  As Christians, we pass the buck, settle for mediocre, and ignore the sin all around us.  If we don't get in the middle, no one will look at us.  God forbid should we hack someone off.  Easy to say, hard to do:  do the next right thing and leave the results to the Lord!

"Wine, women, and song have robbed my people of their brains."  Hosea 4:11

So often, I have heard.  I can't believe he/she had an affair.  They must have not been in their right mind.  Turn on your TV/radio, pick up a newspaper/magazine ... attend a community event.  What do you see?  Sex sells ... if it feels good, do it!  Who are our idols?  The Beeb?  The most beautiful man or woman in the world?  The one with the most toys?  Believe me, morality has sunk to a new all time low.  Just like the Israelites of so long ago, God blessed us with a country where we have the opportunity to cultivate our dreams.  We also turned our backs on him and become our own God.  Where has that gotten us?  Oh we think we're smart ... look at technology.  Face to face conversations have gone by the way-side along with empathy and responsibility.  Look in the mirror, what do you see? 


"Come let us return to the Lord; it is he who has torn us -- he will heal us.  He has wounded -- he will bind us up."  Hosea 5:1

What is adultery?  Adultery is often seen as a breach of trust and of the commitment that had been made during the act of marriage.  Adulteration is also a watering down ... to put before.  As a nation what comes before our faith and commitment to the Lord.  It is so easy to become a member of a church.  Attend a few classes ... sign a paper ... no background check, no real commitment.  It's easy to accept Jesus -- just say a little prayer, that's it!  But, is it?  God and his son know our hearts -- he can recognize the Real McCoy!  We want eternal life, we want forgiveness from our many sings ... BUT, so often, that's it.  Our commitment to the man who gave his life for us can be so shallow.  We certainly don't want to be known as one of those Jesus freaks, do we?  Do those in your community know what you stand for?  Let us return to the God of our fathers -- it is He who will lift us up!

Our Lord wants to bless us.  As parents, we look at our children and, if they are living lives that will harm them, we feel helpless ... we pray ... we rescue ... we yell ... we praise ... we fall to our knees in tears begging.  How do you think God feels when he looks down on his chosen?  His words offer life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.  Sound familiar?  We have free will.  We can ignore, make our own rules, or obey.  Which do you think brings fruit?  We are getting the crops from the seeds we have sown.

As matriarch of my family, I realize how important it is for me to be a good example for my family.  I love unconditionally yet, I am not afraid to stand up for what is right.  A few minutes ago, Zachary fell going up the stairs.  He bruised his rib and was wailing at the top of his lungs.  I walked half-way down the stairs and met him where he was at.  I sat him on my lap and calmed the storm.  With some soft words and an I love you, Zachary was ready to tell me what happened.  I listened and assured him that "it" was going to be all right.  Here came Nicholas ready to check on his brother.  As Zachary climbed off my lap, Nicholas climbed on.  Perfect timing!  He needed his share of affirmation.  Don't we all need that?  We fall, wail claiming that we are bruised beyond repair only to have our heavenly father meet us in our moment of need.  He stills the raging waters, quietly whispering in ways that only He can to bring that sense of peace and serenity.  I don't know about you, but so often I am like Nicholas -- even if I'm not hurting, I still need to know that God is with me...  He doesn't disappoint!!

We are facing an election soon.  Would my choice be our present President?  No.  Would my first choice have been Mitt Romney?  No.  As a union, we have strayed so far and become caught up in the "if it sounds good, it must be true."   What will it take for the United States of America to wake up and realize just how far we've all fallen.  We've abandoned our jobs in our own families of raising our children and left education to our schools, their peers, and the social medias.  We've abandoned our job as citizens to vote and learn more about our government and what's really going on.  I am learning and I am studying ... I encourage you to do the same.


Until we chat again, please remember that you are loved and prayed for ... YA YOU!!

Miss Dottie


 

1 comment:

  1. It is so nice of you to help Angie and Tommy out by watching the boys so she can work. I am sure you created some wonderful memories. I love the pictures ;0)

    XXOO~
    Jane

    ReplyDelete